Sign in to follow this  
rut7991

SimCity 4 Mac: No grounds?

12 posts in this topic Last Reply

Maybe my English is a little bit bad, I'm Dutch.

I play SimCity 4 on Mac and I have strange problem. If I zone residential, commercial or industrial buildings, the game will builds it normally, but if it finished, the climbers dissapear, but the building grounds just stay. That's not all. If I build a wind power plant, I only see the ground piece, and with station I see no ground, and more small things. I've made two pictures, only as example for this:

sc4troubleshooting2.png

And the other one:

sc4troubleshooting1.png

Playing with this really sucks, so does anybody knows how to make an end of this?

It looks like you have conflicting plug-ins. What plug-ins do you have installed? Have you tried pulling out all plug-ins, then slowly put them back until the problem occurs.

TEG

• Original Poster
  • I dragged all addons on an USB and I putted them off my pc, then I opened SimCity and the problem stayed.

About my computer:

2.13 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor

Ram 2 GB 800 MHz

Operating system: Mac OS X 10.6.6

SimCity Addons:

NAM

RHW

Hole digger lots

Dutch signage pack

PS: Is there a dependence for this problem?

More to the point, whose version are you running?  On that O/S you could run the regular game under control of wine, which you can download.  wine is not an emulator but a kernel add-on layer that interprets windows calls on the fly.

• Original Poster
  • It's a downloaded version, not running on wine, just on my Mac. It's just the Mac-version. But, when I first opened there was no problem. From the moment I was getting more addons the problem came.

• Original Poster
  • Please help, it's a real mess now!! I can't see parks, gardens, hole digging lots don't work. HELP!!

PS: Can addons outside the plugin folder but everywhere else on my PC create this?

Only stuff in the two plugin folders get loaded in your game.

You should not touch the plugin folder that is included in the installation of the game, only the one in your user space.

The best thing to do is to take out all your plugins that you have downloaded into another directory.  Then work on finding the culprit.  There is probably only one, but you may have to look at each download page to see what's wrong.  You now have two choices.  You can put them back one by one and test, or you can try a binary search (recommended).  Here is how to do a binary search, and if you have less than 1000 plugins, it will take 9 steps or less.

After removing all plugins, test the game in a Sandbox region.  Start the game and create a region named Sandbox.  Do enough work here to make sure all is well.  If not, you may have to redownload your game.

Now for the search assuming you have had no trouble so far.

Divide the plugins in half, saving each half in a different out-of-game folder.

Copy all the plugins in one of the folders into your plugins folder, start the game, and go to the Sandbox city.  If the problem is not present, this set of plugins is safe.  Take it out, and put in the other half, and repeat the test.  If you have the problem now, this set contains the problem.

When you have identified the problem set, divide it in half, and do the same things.

As you identify the problem halves, contiinue dividing them.

Within nine steps you will have a set containing only one plugin.  If this one causes your problem, you've found it.

• Original Poster
  • Can other addons that are not in a plugin folder really not make these problems? I've deleted all addons now (not bad, I know where I downloaded them) and the problem is not away.

No.  Only items within the SimCity 4 folder will have any effect, and not if they are not in the plugins.  If you have removed all plugins and are still having this problem, you need to reinstall.  Probably one of the .dat files in the game repository has been stepped on.

Before you do any reload, copy your regions folder to someplace external.  It is normally not necessary, but I believe in insurance.

Before you do anything so drastic, copy your regions folder someplace safe, then delete all your regions and copy them back from the game repository, and try the game.  If you still have the problem, your game has been stepped on and you need a new install.