Sign in to follow this  
weedmic

Installing SC4DELUXE on linux - Disc 2 insertion problem

4 posts in this topic Last Reply

Howdy!

At your site url: http://www.simtropolis.com/omnibus/index.cfm/Main.SimCity_4.Running_Sim_City_4_on_Linux there is an unclear instruction:

"When it asks for CD 2, just switch the files in the SimCity disc 1 and disc 2 folders."

What does that mean exactly?

Does it mean, for example, to mv disc 1 to someplace and mv disc 2 to disc 1?

If yes, then it did not work.

Please let me know any ideas you have on how to interpret this.

Thanks.

As one Linux user to another, it is quite simple.  You have to get the system to release the first disk.  If you can see it on your desktop, right click it and dismount it.  Then you can remove it from the drive (you can even have used an eject command if any), and mount your second disk.

If you can't see it, open the file system menu (on my system it is labeled Places) open the home folder and dismount it from the left hand frame.  That one is usually an eject.

Don't forget you need to download wine, and use winetricks to install the VC6run package.

• Original Poster
  • Dear A Nonny Moose:

Hmm... Thank you for your reply.  However it does not address the issue at all.  The link I gave "http://www.simtropolis.com/omnibus/index.cfm/Main.SimCity_4.Running_Sim_City_4_on_Linux" is a way to install SimCity 4 Deluxe on a linux machine on which wine cannot install it via the DVD/CD ROM drive.

This is because a linux machine changes the name of the CD ROM drive to the name of the disc in it.  In this case SC4DELUXE1 or SC4DELUXE2.  Since the discs are not named the same thing, the automated way does not work b/c they are not both simply Drive D: like in the M$ world.

The link from this site was very helpful, I just did not know what they meant by "When it asks for CD 2, just switch the files in the SimCity disc 1 and disc 2 folders."

I did the following which did NOT work.

I did:

mv SC4DELUXE1 SC4DELUXEone

mv SC4DELUXE2 SC4DELUXE1

clicked continue, but nothing happened.

There is no CD involved in the procedure metioned in the link or what I described above as they have already been copied to the Desktop.

As for wine, wine is already on my machine and works perfectly well with other programmes such as NoteWorthy Composer, XMLSpy, IEexplore, etc.

If anyone knows what is meant on the link about "just switch the files" and it isn't what I did (or even if it is), please let me know.  As I'd like to play this game again, or at least narrow down my problem.

Thanks.

The method in the Omnibus is for another decor than the one I have.  I am running UBUNTU and it works just the way I described.  It doesn't matter what the name of the disk device is, all that matters to the wine installer is the drive letter.  Maybe you have a problem with your wine configuration.  What version of wine have you got?  The official version according to my distribution is 1.2.  I am running 1.3.11 beta, and it works just fine.

Also, what version of Linux are you running?  Are you running console only?  I am running the Gnu Desktop (gdm) for all this.  However, for debugging reasons with the wne beta, I run the program from a terminal.

Here is my version stuff:

Linux john-GA-MA78LM-S2H 2.6.35-24-generic #42-Ubuntu SMP Thu Dec 2 02:41:37 UTC 2010 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Ubuntu 10.10