Menocchio

Dat packer

8 posts in this topic Last Reply

Welcome to Simtropolis.

I don't know that datpacker will solve your problem since you don't say what it is.  If you are having organization problems, that is up to you.  However, if you pack all your plugins into one massive .dat file, how did you plan to edit it?

I think you would be better off with a more selective method.  Why not try files2dat?  This is an ilive program that allows you to selectively pack up files.  I use it extensively to reduce the size of my downloaded plugins.

Generally, I keep two directories that shadow each other.  One is a downloads folder into which anything I download is saved in an appropriate sub-directory.  Not everything in here is a plugin.

My /home/user/SimCity 4/Plugins directory is similarly divided into relevant directories, and contains for the most part, only .dat files.  Nothing other than .dll, .dat, .sc4lot, .sc4desc, and .sc4model files should ever be placed in the plugins directory.  Other files are just clutter and slow down the load time for the game.  I created a similarly structured Documentation folder for all the other junk.  A little manual maintenance will save you a lot of problems.

Whatever you and however you do it - it is absolutely  necessary to keep at least one (better more) bakcup of the uncompressed directories. 

Reason is simple: you cannot change the .dar files anymore (at least not without big effort and a good command over the reader). If you want to move out or change some files you need to repack the directory. 

And sometimes the DatPacker produces garbage so you need to run it twice or rearrange your directory structur before successfully packing them. 

I've just been playing around with DAT Packer to see if it's something I want to be using, it does speed things up as far as I can tell, but I've had some stuff vanish or come up with one of those boxes in game since using it that I didn't have that problem with before. I had to re-pack some bus stops a few times because they keep vanishing.