Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SkyFox66

Question about commuting to another city

4 posts in this topic Last Reply

Highlighted Posts

• Original Poster
  • Tried searching briefly, so don't hesitate to direct me if this has allready been asked...

I Have a descent city of about 22000 folks. I would say its 35% commercial, 10% Hi-Tech, and 55% residential. I have all of my dirty and manufactoring industrials in the city directly adjacent to it. The city was doing very well, the citizens were traveling to the other city for jobs. I think the number on the only inter city road was over 1300 commuters. Well, that was a major traffic problem, because they were all on that single road. So I was able to weave an avenue through that part of the city, making sure not to destroy any of my taller buildings or disturb the more populated areas until I finally replaced that whole section of road with an avenue connecting the city to the one next to it where 1300+ cars were traveling too.

Now, for some reason they stopped going over to the other city for jobs. My population on that city dropped down to about 18000 and constantly bounces from around 16000 to 21000. Also, there are only about 300 cars traveling the road to the next city now... Why? I actually improved the road layout to make the commute easier for them to get to the other city. If anything, I would of expected an increase in traffic going to the next city. But now its like they wont travel it at all. I did load the other city just to make sure everything was corrected right too. I played both for several years hoping that it would give them time to find the new avenue. Where did I go wrong???

Little background info for helpers. I am new to the online SC4 world. All I have is the plain jain SimCity 4 Deluxe Edition game. Now mods, no extras or anything. Its as if I just took it out of th ebox(even though I have been playing it for a while now).

The only thing I can think of right now is that you said your second city has ID and IM. you also said that you have been playing your first city for some time. this could mean that your education in the first city has risen to the point where the residents dont want ID or IM jobs anymore and are looking for commercial and IHT jobs which are all in the primary city. When you expand your region try building a neighbor city with more IHT and see if you dont get a lot of commuters then.

I could be wrong but it sounds logicial to me.

Oh BTW, Welcome to Simtropolis. Nice avatar too.

PS If you dont want to download a lot of stuff you should still consider getting the Network Addon Modification (in the modds and downloads section) for your game. it is like getting a second expansion pack and will truely improve the way the game is played. one point of advice though is to not load up the perfect pathfinding as I think there are some problems with it, go with better pathfinding instead.

• Original Poster
  • Thanks soldyne. I think your right about the IHT. I did get some IHT to develop in the same ID&IM city from above and I think most of them were traveling there too. Maybe they don't want to commute there anymore or another city took the jobs away. Another question, I'm use to games like RCT where you can't build anything when the game is paused but in SC you can(I think). Is it better to pause the game when I upgrade something like a road? If I don't pause and break up the road for too long, would that cause some of my problems too?

When you upgrade a road, little bulldozers make each section in turn. While that's happening, the game acts as if the road doesn't exist, and it tries to reroute commutes. This could cause your sims to move to jobs in that city, instead of the neighbouring one. Pausing can help to reduce this effect, as I think it only calculates commutes while the game is unpaused.