Installing a map created by SC4Terraformer is quite different than creating a grayscale map image and installing it in SimCity 4. The following information details the necessary steps to install a map in SC4 that was created by SC4Terraformer.
NOTE: File Format for SC4Terraformer-Created Maps
The typical file type for SC4Terraformer-created maps is a zip archive ( .ZIP ). These instructions assume that the map files are contained in a zipped archive.
Occasionally, a SC4Terraformer -created map may only contain a .SC4M file (which is the file used by SC4Terraformer). If a zipped archive is not the file type to download, ensure you download whatever files are available for the map and place them in the folder you designated for the map files (as shown in the below instructions).
1) On your computer, determine a folder location to which the map file will be downloaded.
2) Find a SC4Terraformer created map to be downloaded by searching the STEX. Note the name of the map.
3) Click on the Download link of the map.
4) Click on the "Save" button.
5) Navigate to the folder location identified in Step 1), above then click the "Save" button.
6) In the folder location identified in Step 1), above open the zipped archive.
7) If the zipped archive contains folders, extract the files using the “Use folder names” option. Otherwise, just extract the files.
Navigate to your \My Documents\SimCity4\Regions folder and create a folder named the same as the downloaded map.
9) Copy the downloaded map’s config.bmp file into the newly named region folder.
NOTE: Concerning config.bmp Files.
If the map being dowloaded does not have a config.bmp file included, one must be created before installing the map. Please consult the Config.bmp: HowTo Make It Yours article for instructions on creating a config.bmp file.
10) Launch the SC4Terraformer application and open the newly named region folder.
11) In the SC4Terraformer Toolbar, click on the Global Tools drop down arrow.
12) Click on Import image then click on the Browse button (shown as … in a button).
13) From the “Choose an image” dialog box, navigate to the folder in Step 1), above and select the .SC4M file.
14) Double-click the .SC4M file to enter it into the “Import image” dialog box.
15) Click the OK button to import the .SC4M file into the SC4Terraformer application.
11) In the SC4Terraformer window, click on File – Save (or Ctrl+S).
16) At the “Warning” dialog box, click the Yes button.
17) The SC4Terraformer application creates and saves city information in your newly created region sub-folder.
18) Close the SC4Terraformer application and launch the SimCity 4 application.
19) Open the newly created region.
20) The new region is displayed and colored as it was seen in SC4Terraformer.
22) Open a city but DO NOT reconcile the edges.
VERY IMPORTANT NOTE: DO NOT reconcile the edges.
23) The city will be displayed in SimCity 4 colors and terrains. The city is now ready for development.
24) Make sure to save the city before exiting it.
25) Repeat Steps 22) through Step 24) for each city in the map.
Note that the process explained in Step 22) through Step 24) above can be done on each city during the same SimCity 4 session or be done on an “as you go / when ready” basis. Once all the cities have been rendered in SimCity4, the entire region will be displayed in SimCity colors and terrains and be ready for development.