• I. Lostalim
    I. Lostalim

Will Wright Q&A with Ocean Quigley

See what Will thinks of the new SimCity and learn about how he plays the game. Get an inside look into Will and Ocean's past experiences working on SimCity 4 and the design decisions that went into the new SimCity.

Sign in to follow this  
    Sign in to follow this  

User Feedback

This live broadcast has actually made me appreciate this simcity a lot more. I'm especially happy to learn that the shipped game is a lot harder than the beta. Plus, how can you not love Ocean Quigley?

Share this comment

One thing I noticed; especially in the coaster city early in the video, the maps (at least to me) looked quite a bit bigger than in the beta. Perhaps I am just being too hopefully? Was it just the camera angle?

Share this comment

A lot of the sentiments in the video mirror my own. Fundamentally I love Simcity but the ability to see and know whats going on in the city is because of little critters gives me more reason to play. More reason to keep trying to improve or enjoy there demise hehe. Although the time one of my factories caught fire and burned a family I was watching seriously sucked. I dont ever remember that sense in past simcities. Well except the time a Launch arco blew up.. ugh.

Share this comment

I'm looking forward to the game! 

I find it does have more depth than SC4, SC4 is great for creating city maps, very detailed no doublty. But come simulation, and SC4 isn't that fantastic. Having said that , I have played endless hours of SC4

But the magic that was SC2 and 3 never was there for me in SC4

After having seen all the video's of SimCity that magic feeling did come to the surface again.. 

I think there are two kinds of players indeed.. One player that really enjoys the simulation, wants to dive into the city as such and 'experience' the city. The other player just wants to create a city as realistically as possible. But if you think really hard, you'll discover that all the simcity versions before SC4 belonged to the first category, so in a way it is not surprising they went back to that formula (adding a few things from SC4). Also then it isn't a surprise Will Wright likes this version very much..

For the small size of the map, well, Ocean himself said in the other video that it is easier to start with a small map and then to have this expanded in a later stage. So me thinks that larger maps might be a real possibility, though call me naive perhaps!

Anyways, these are my thoughts, not that they matter much, but there you go! ;-)

Share this comment

Now, now.  Let's be a little more civilized.

This is starting to look like a good game for people who are just starting out in simulation games.  They've got to learn to enjoy something with no way to win, somewhere.

SC4 is pretty deep for a novice simmer.  If it wasn't for the DRM aspect of this, I would probably buy it.  If nothing else, it is entertaining. 

The connection to Origin and the conditions thereof turn me off.

Share this comment

I finally saw this video.  It was tacked on to the end of the 10th anniversary presentation.

Considering that Will really has no axe to grind, I think it was a fair assessment.  He likes the new version.  I liked spore too, becore it died.

Share this comment

Oh, I forgot to say that notwithstanding what I may have said ijn the past, now that I have seen a major demo, I like it as a set of training wheels, but I still won't buy any DRM game.

Share this comment

Is it just me, or is EA looking increasingly desperate... First an actual City-builder 'takes on' SimCity (older versions only) and now Will Wright (who hasn't been seen in relation to anything Sims in quite a while) suddenly is brought in for an interview.

Share this comment

I've told you this before and I'll say it again...whether you respect me is of no consequence to me whatsoever.  And you will continue to see me voicing my displeasure about the direction they've taken this game.  Have a nice day.

There must be some truth in what I just said, because it bothered you. If there’s no consequce, then why bother coming after me?

Maybe you need to sit down and think for a second that you voice may have already gone unheard, because this game is going to happen; even you like it or not.

You know what... Just forget what I said, no matter what I say, you probably won’t shut up.

Share this comment

Is it just me, .....

can be absolutely sure not! Many have realized the obvious ... not counting the accession of old players certainly this  type of  game has a right date to stop.

The interest of the target audience of EA maybe has not been expected!

Share this comment

I played this game in a more polished state down at Maxis studios with a bunch of fellow fans and the devs sharing the same Region. The build we played was a more developed build than the recent betas.  This game is fun. It is fun and it looks wonderful.  More details in my writeup!

Share this comment

I played this game in a more polished state down at Maxis studios with a bunch of fellow fans and the devs sharing the same Region. The build we played was a more developed build than the recent betas.  This game is fun. It is fun and it looks wonderful.  More details in my writeup!

I don't think anyone has disputed that it might be fun.  You know what people don't like about it as it's been discussed over and over again.  I'll be interested to see whether they've actually done anything to address any of the issues...which I highly doubt.

Share this comment

Do you feel that the always online and the lack of ability to save locally to your own harddrive will affect your own personal enjoyment or do you feel that this is the way to go with this game?

I am assuming that people still can not experiment with their cities - i.e., destroy them and then recreate them pre-disaster?

Will that ever change, in the future?

Thank you for any questions you can answer in your much anticipated write up. 

Share this comment

Also, two more questions regarding gameplay - any plans on allowing terraforming at all, ever?

Mods?  Or is continuous online play something that would prevent that?

Thank you. 

Share this comment

I look foward to some kind of kickstarter project that can recreate simcity 4 newer content, problems fix and the abilty to mod. I have a feeling this game will have a strict control on moding.

Share this comment

I look foward to some kind of kickstarter project that can recreate simcity 4 newer content, problems fix and the abilty to mod. I have a feeling this game will have a strict control on moding.

above ground water, bridges that can cross other transportation (which modders have already given us somewhat) and buildings that line up to off-the-grid roads and I'd be set.

Share this comment

One thing I noticed; especially in the coaster city early in the video, the maps (at least to me) looked quite a bit bigger than in the beta. Perhaps I am just being too hopefully? Was it just the camera angle?

„Coaster City“...?

Share this comment

„Coaster City“...?

Takes up the same space as a drinks coaster maybe?

Share this comment

Less Sim, more City (management). I'm still not convinced. Seeing police shootouts and trivialities doesn't add to realism as solid economic etc. models do.

Share this comment