• Dirktator
    Dirktator

Will Wright calls EA’s server problems “inexcusable”

"I feel bad for the team," Wright said when asked about the troubled launch by GamesIndustry.biz following a lecture at the University of California Santa Cruz. "I could have predicted—I kind of did predict there'd be a big backlash about the DRM stuff. It's a good game; I enjoy playing it a lot... [but] that was basically inexcusable, that you charge somebody $60 for a game and they can't play it. I can understand the outrage. If I was a consumer buying the game and that happened to me, I'd feel the same."

His comments go against the official line from Electronic Arts that SimCity's online requirements had nothing to do with DRM and everything to do with providing a persistent connection to the worldwide trading markets and regional interactions in the game (never mind that hackers have opened up the potential for offline play without much issue). "It's not [DRM]," EA Chief Operating Officer Peter Moore said last month. "People still want to argue about it. We can't be any clearer—it's not."

Full story: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-05-04-will-wright-games-falling-way-short-as-a-medium

Sign in to follow this  
    Sign in to follow this  

User Feedback

cirugo: Will Wright isn't working on Sim city. He had no part in the development or sales what so ever...

I'm aware of that.  He sat down for an interview with Ocean Quigley and talked it up and they used it to try to legitimize this version of the game.  He should've just kept quiet.

Share this comment

He saw it coming and yet allowed himself to be used to sell the game as is. 

thanks Will!

He sat down for an interview with Ocean Quigley and talked it up and they used it to try to legitimize this version of the game.  He should've just kept quiet.

Will commented about the game, not the servers. While he did express some interest in online play, I don't think he made much mention of this.

Share this comment

I like Will Wright, I really do. Listening to him, though, I can't help but start to ask "what have you done for us lately"? Spore was hyped to the moon and beyond and ended up a disappointment. Given the number of venues that small, independent designers have to promote their games and get funding, there's more expectation than ever for something he does or is involved with to be groundbreaking, not derivative.

Share this comment

yep EA only care about the $ nothing else and Will Wright him self saw what we all saw coming so to me its obvious that EA still and always will care about the $ the only thing they got going for them now are FIFA and the sims and I personally dislike both!

Share this comment

E

yep EA only care about the $ nothing else.

What should they care more about? The rainforest??? It's a commercial company, if you don't like their products, don't buy them. I didn't...

Share this comment

I like Will Wright, I really do. Listening to him, though, I can't help but start to ask "what have you done for us lately"?

This is an injustice ... ! If not for him we never we could see the shadows of ants walking on the ceiling!

ANT FARM REVOLUTION- ant_farm_revolution_photo1_tn.jpg

stupid_fun_club.png - From the creator of The SIMS, Will Wright!

this is not fantastic? - :lol:

Share this comment

cirugo: Will Wright isn't working on Sim city. He had no part in the development or sales what so ever...

I'm aware of that.  He sat down for an interview with Ocean Quigley and talked it up and they used it to try to legitimize this version of the game.  He should've just kept quiet.

When I watched that interview, did you notice Will Wright's reaction, where Ocean Quigley mentions, "it is like the game going off to college, etc." - WW's reaction, is very telling.  He actually looks a little stunned that they would have to resort to that kind of tactic - slamming the old to sell the new.  He doesn't say anything - but, a lot of communication is nonverbal (sorry, I have a psych degree).  He is being gracious to them, however, really watch his reactions. 

He is the one who got it right the first time - he understands that it is the player who drives the success of a game and who "owns" it - and after watching how EA has tried to spin it with their talking heads coming out on the EA blogs with their arrogance, even when faced with the golden poo award TWICE in a row - I would be a little hard pressed to find anybody who would go up against this "type" of corporation (especially in full game promotion mode) and speak out/refuse, right then and there.

Also, I see Will Wright, as kind of a someone who has a clinical eye, to the whole thing - he's involved, but, steps back, to be able to see the big picture, and that is why he can see it from the player's standpoint, and see where EA screwed up.

If EA wouldn't listen to their own consumers, why in the world would they listen to the person who created the games, the very games they were trying to bash to sell this joke of a version?

I honestly am glad that there are people, like you, who don't give up fighting for the game to be what it should have been, in the first place, so, I understand what you are saying.  And I agree - however, I also see why he was there and I don't think he was outright endorsing it. like EA wanted us to think. 

Share this comment

Unfortunately Will was "used".  He is really above all this although like many others he may hold shares in EA.  The time to dump them as passed.

EA has made "used goods" of everyone associated with their failed project.  It will be interesting to see who survives.

Will Wright cannot be harmed by any of this, since he isn't involved in Maxis studio any more, and everyone knows it.

Share this comment

I wasn't saying a single opinion about his comments. All I was stating was; how could he not sell a game, that he had no part of, be released as is.

Share this comment