• newyorkrunaway1
    newyorkrunaway1

What SimCity Teaches Us About Real Cities of the Future

Does Sim City have the capability of teaching us about real cities in the 21st Century? This article touches on some important key points about how Sim City paralells real life city planning and deisgn, and decision making.

Sign in to follow this  
    Sign in to follow this  

User Feedback

It teaches us that you need to have more than just a "vision" and actually listen to what people are telling you.

Share this comment

Question: What SimCity Teaches Us About Real Cities of the Future?

Answer: If city doesn't have good servers you won't be able to live in the city. You will work at different places and live in different home every day! Fire will broke out at two different places and every truck in city will go to one place.

Share this comment

Simcity cannot teach us anything if it cannot even properly simulate traffic or the lives of citizens in a city. Also, this is one day after the release of sc13, so this isn't updated with the problems in the game.

Share this comment

Another victim of the hype.  It really is too bad that such a thing was published at all.  Rather premature, considering the fiasco of the new release.

Share this comment

lol The date of the article has no impact on the content of the story. Just because no one really likes SC2013, including me, doesn't mean the article isn't an interesting read...

Share this comment

I thought cities like dubai, doha etc were cities off the future and was inspired by ritch people who rather build cities and buy football clubs than give money to education of these nations!

anyway I think the governments should play simcity then they can see how long a city would last if they made the cuts they would really like to make.

Share this comment

Where is my home today? Sorry I forgot I'm sleeping with the next door neighbors wife today. I hope he don't mind as we already take it in turns to share each others job.  

Share this comment

Oh yes! SimCity 2013 taught me a lot, that cities of the future will get rid of most highways, we will have no need for Clover leaf interchanges, T interchanges, diamond interchanges or any type of interchanges, it's just a waste of time, Just build one long stretch of highway that curves all around the United states  or any other country from east to south and from north to west and one exit ramp to each city. Oh, and when building they will find perfect plots of land to build on so we don't have to do any type of terraforming, so the city can save money. No need for one way roads, and who needs mass transit like elevated rail and subways, Avenues and street cars will be all a future city needs, there will not be that much traffic in a future city to deal with anyway. Oh, and the best thing of all it taught me about future cities is, the next game that wants to replicate the way a real city works and it's from EA, DO NOT BUY IT!!!!!!!

Share this comment

Its a.... wait for it....

NEWS ARTICLE!

So take from it what you will, but make sure its part of the actual article and not silly rants about sc2013... Everyone knows how much people dont like sc2013 by now....

Share this comment

SimCity tells us a lot of things about the future:

1) There will be a great nuclear war (the Apocalypse) and we will have to live in bubble cities - separated from each other. 

2) In the future, "job security" is a meaningless idea. We will work like slaves. Someone will replace you everyday. 

3) Agriculture will die. We will become nomads, hunters and look for food. We will occupy any building we see and make it our home. It's just like the Stone Age, when cavemen left their caves and looked for a new cave to live in.

Share this comment

knowing maxis is from California I think SimCity reflects how much they hate traffic. They made the game so you are forced to go high density and traffic ruins cities(emergency vehicles). So I think California had a big impact on the game.

P.S. there are a lot of suburban spread out cities that do not have  traffic as bad as California 

I think maxis needs to be a bit less anti-suburbia

Share this comment