• Dirktator
    Dirktator

Update Origin to Enable your Free Game Download

Update your Origin client to redeem your free game, eligible for players who purchase SimCity by March 25.

If you do buy the game, please consider using the Simtropolis Affiliate Link for Origin -- we earn a small commission which helps us offset some of our server expenses. Much appreciated if you do.

WtORl8L.png

Thanks, guys. Let us know below what game you end up picking.

The free game portal will be rolling out in waves, and it will be available in the following regions by these dates:

• North America by 5pm PDT/midnight GMT on Wednesday, March 20.

• Europe by 5pm PDT/midnight GMT on Thursday, March 21.

• Asia & South America by 5pm PDT/midnight GMT on Friday, March 22.

Sign in to follow this  
    Sign in to follow this  

User Feedback

I saw somewhere that you closed down a forum because it linked to Kickstarter because it linked somewhere that was asking for money. Now I see you doing the same thing blatantly on your page. I understand you have expenses, but honestly connecting oneself to this game is maybe not a good idea right now.I am more likely to donate because I use the STEX than to use this link.

Share this comment

Please don't tell me these are the only games you can get for free? The only games on this list I like I already have: SC4/ME:3. I was hopeing you could have anything within reason I knew this would happen lol. Maybee Deadspace but Its likely my PC won't run that one and Im too much of a whimp to play scary games lol. 

Share this comment

The only way I would even consider buying this game is:

1. No need for Origin

2. No permanent Online Requirements

3. Proper Mod Support

<offending comment removed>, their anti-consummerism has put me off buying any of their products.

Share this comment

You guys are angry, I get that, but I'm afraid your letting it cloud your senses.

If you somehow read the above as an "endorsement", read it again.

The game is being sold regardless of whether or not you or I like it.

As the website owner, and the guy that has to make sure bills are paid so the website remains up, it would be pretty stupid of me to dismiss any opportunity to raise funds and support the site when I can. I try to not let emotions cloud my judgement.

In any case, considering this site is free and charges you nothing to use, it's my responsibility to make sure gets financed any way it can. It's not my responsibility to make you feel good or bad about how that happens. 

Look, I get the anger that's out there, and I get that people want to be punitive to EA. But you can punish EA/Maxis however you want -- do not punish Simtropolis for trying to get by.

Share this comment

ST has kept me entertained for nearly 4 years now, and I am a big part of this community. Whilst I do not plan on purchasing the game, we need to remember this site doesn't appear out of thin air, and the servers that we host Simtropolis on cost a lot of money. We put this link up not to "endorse this game" as put, but rather a way to get some extra coin if you choose to buy it.

Apart from donations, the only other way we could keep the site up is either:

a. Paid membership

b. Ads (we trialled this a bt back to negative results)

And I am sure you don't want either.

We aren't forcing you to buy this game, just taking advantage of a way to keep this site up. So I think everyone just needs to chill out a bit.

Share this comment

As long as Simtropolis does not spread false or misleading information, company PR or anything else that may lure users into buying a game, I'm perfectly fine.

Remember you don't have to buy, remember that there are also people who actually want to buy and play this game. Why not give them an opportunity to do just that and do a little for good old SimTrop in the process?

I think some people here are really showing signs of paranoid behaviour. I mean, do you think Simtropolis is some kind of homogeneous entity with a fixed agenda? Reality check: This is just a bunch of SimCity geeks running a free online forum with a download area.

Forming opinions is what you do; taking decisions is what you do. Simtropolis offers you the platform - one platform - to do just that.

You think SC2013 is crap? Don't wanna buy? Well, then don't. It's not as if ST admins had any control over you, and you are free to dig into the forums, get informed and come to your own conclusion. You can even share your opinion, whatever it may be, as long as you manage not to be a total jerk about it.

Share this comment

Yes, people are angry, and justifiably so. In the end, however, SimCity is just a game, Simtropolis is just a website, and EA, for all their faults, isn't the devil.

Simtropolis is a free service that costs money to run. The commissions from EA don't amount to much, but every little bit helps. 

We don't know what the future holds for the new SimCity, but this site is still the greatest resource for all things SC4 out there. I'm sure we all want to keep that going.  :)

Share this comment

I don't see any 'endorsement' here, or anywhere else on this site. It simply asks that if you consider buying this title to use the above mentioned link, which in return will help paying for expenses.

Sure beats a monthly, or blinking banners all over the place :-)

Share this comment

Simtropolis is an independent city-building community. We’re not related to EA in any way, shape or form. It would be wrong to think that ST has a goal to protect EA’s reputation (by promoting the game). So far, aspects of the new SimCity have been very disappointing to say the least. We’re not trying to hide this. It is fact.

Many people are forgetting how much it actually costs to run a community, especially one of this size. As ST is a non-profit community, money doesn’t grow on trees -- it must be funded from somewhere. This link is one way to generate a small amount, to help cover server and maintenance costs.

So if you decide to purchase the game, it would be appreciated to use the affiliate link. IMHO, I’d feel better knowing that a percentage of my money would be put to good use, even if it's only a small amount.

But at the end of the day, there’s no obligation to do this. It’s only a humble request to assist with keeping the site in operation. :)

Share this comment

I will admit that I too was a little incensed that ST was providing a link for folks to buy SimCity 2013. However after reading what Dirktator, TWrecks, and paeng had to say I feel quite differently and regret that I didn't look at the situation through their eyes in the first place.

I don't intend to buy the game but am glad ST can earn a few cents because of those who do buy. So if you are going to buy the game why not help the best SimCity fan site around where you know you can always get help and ideas for gameplay. ;)

Share this comment

I apologise for my fruity language, and I have no problem with ST advertising the game as it helps keep the site going.

Share this comment

I love how the comments to this article are all about the importance of such things for the support of Simtropolis. Is this already on the forums? Maybe put this up so more people will see and understand that money is a big deal in today's society...

That being said, it's really sad to see such a promising game go to waste. I really hope a number of the community-started projects will reach far beyond what this SimCity has achieved.

Share this comment

I will admit that I too was a little incensed that ST was providing a link for folks to buy SimCity 2013. However after reading what Dirktator, TWrecks, and paeng had to say I feel quite differently and regret that I didn't look at the situation through their eyes in the first place.

I don't intend to buy the game but am glad ST can earn a few cents because of those who do buy. So if you are going to buy the game why not help the best SimCity fan site around where you know you can always get help and ideas for gameplay. ;)

skip the game and just donate to Simtropolis

Share this comment

skip the game and just donate to Simtropolis

...and we will give you a STEX CD! 

Share this comment

Getting back on topic,

I got the Need For Speed one... not really liking it. Only half the map is included with the base game. Want to go to the airport? That will be $9.99

Share this comment

My only regret is that I've already purchased the game without using the Simtropolis link. 

Getting back on topic,

I got the Need For Speed one... not really liking it. Only half the map is included with the base game. Want to go to the airport? That will be $9.99

LOL.  None of these games are appealing to me, as I either own them, or have no desire to.  Besides, 'You expect better.  So do we' is a great line, but painfully hollow after the shenanigans that have been pulled.  To get back in my better graces, they need to fix the game (it is running a bit better, but has a long way to go), become much more open and transparent, and offer refunds to those who want it.  I actually wouldn't even be one of them, but I know many people are, and that should be honored.  Further, it will take them doing all of the above, plus releasing several games w/o similar shenanigans to get my trust back. 

Share this comment

My only regret is that I've already purchased the game without using the Simtropolis link. 

I think everyone on this site regrets this. If I knew some of the money would go to supporting the site, I would have done it.

Share this comment

Getting back on topic,

LOL.  None of these games are appealing to me, as I either own them, or have no desire to.  Besides, 'You expect better.  So do we' is a great line, but painfully hollow after the shenanigans that have been pulled.  To get back in my better graces, they need to fix the game (it is running a bit better, but has a long way to go), become much more open and transparent, and offer refunds to those who want it.  I actually wouldn't even be one of them, but I know many people are, and that should be honored.  Further, it will take them doing all of the above, plus releasing several games w/o similar shenanigans to get my trust back. 

I think partly the reason they won't be offered a refund is because if you pay for a product that does not perform as it should, you are either entitled to a refund or replacement with a working product.

I think EA is choosing the latter and fixing the servers is what they are trying to do.

Share this comment