• The Avatar
    The Avatar

The Sounds and Simulation of the New SimCity

A new article released today on the SimCity website gives us information on the traffic simulation, UI, and music of the new SimCity. The game's traffic system will feature sounds based on the movement and speed of the cars. Pictures of the UI have been released, revealing more information about the simulation and its elements. There is also an example of what the new SimCity's music will sound like.

Check out the article for all the info!

Sign in to follow this  
    Sign in to follow this  

User Feedback

Well, then this simcity probably won't be the one for you - as Maxis specifically states in almost every interview that it will be very micro-oriented simulation. It's really quite sad that all the powerful computing power available now is put into people walking around.

I don't want to zoom in to see my sims driving their cars in a village; I want to zoom out to see my metropolitan area operate.

Share this comment

0wn3d, on , said:

Or there are 27 people out driving somewhere and the rest are either at home or at work. Yes… Every Sim has a life… Who says that the whole population has to be out driving?

I'm not questioning that. What I'm saying is that intersection is way too big (and expensive) for 57 people.

Share this comment

I. Lostalim, on , said:

0wn3d, on , said:

Or there are 27 people out driving somewhere and the rest are either at home or at work. Yes… Every Sim has a life… Who says that the whole population has to be out driving?

I'm not questioning that. What I'm saying is that intersection is way too big (and expensive) for 57 people.

Then it must be for demonstration... Since the programmers have control over everything like some sort of god mode, they can break the rules.

Share this comment

Well, then this simcity probably won't be the one for you - as Maxis specifically states in almost every interview that it will be very micro-oriented simulation.

Not really. What they really say is that it is a "bottom-up" simulation where the city is created from masses of individual agents. This has the potential to be good on the macro scale as it will probably be a more detailed and dynamic simulation. As for large metropolises, as pcwhiz24 already said a trailer appeared to indicate cities could be right next to each other and unlike in SC4 you could see the neighboring city - and crime and pollution can cross boundaries now, unlike in SC4. So in many ways they are in fact expanding on the macro as well as micro components, by enhancing the region aspect of the game.

Share this comment

Sepen77, on , said:

Well, then this simcity probably won't be the one for you - as Maxis specifically states in almost every interview that it will be very micro-oriented simulation.

Not really. What they really say is that it is a "bottom-up" simulation where the city is created from masses of individual agents. This has the potential to be good on the macro scale as it will probably be a more detailed and dynamic simulation. As for large metropolises, as pcwhiz24 already said a trailer appeared to indicate cities could be right next to each other and unlike in SC4 you could see the neighboring city - and crime and pollution can cross boundaries now, unlike in SC4. So in many ways they are in fact expanding on the macro as well as micro components, by enhancing the region aspect of the game.

The detailed sound of the city, the complete path of the cars and citizens, many detailed animations has nothing to do with the simulation, in fact.

These things are great, but superfluous .. who will occupy the hardware when it could be better used rendering larger maps, which give us possibility of a metropolis (or a little closer) fully simulated.

We'll see adjacent maps, but the simulation is actually occurring in only one.

Share this comment

Maxis seem to be putting too much emphasis on the excess minute details for this stage of development. What happened to just creating the basic city builder foundation first?

Share this comment

Apparently, Maxis is trying to simplify the UI: "We are trying to get away from the traditional mass of menus as much as possible."

And etahn54, please don't spam ":)."

Share this comment