• Dirktator
    Dirktator

Skylines not the limit: what Cities studio Colossal Order are doing next

The genre-saving, Paradox-pleasing Cities: Skylines sold a million copies in its first month and a bit - and the best Skylines mods have helped keep its roads busy since. But Finnish developers Colossal Order want to do their bit to “prolong the lifetime” of the game with both free and paid updates - as well as moving on to their next thing.

Sign in to follow this  
    Sign in to follow this  

User Feedback

This is the business model for a lot of different games published by Paradox. Which I think is a pretty good business model. Crusader Kings 2 and Europa Universalis 4 both have a lot of DLC however and sometimes it's difficult to see which are the major expansion packs and which add cosmetic stuff to the game that you could easily do without.

Share this comment

I'm not a huge fan of DLC, I don't really like the feeling of buying my games one piece at a time, if it's not finished, sell it to me when it is. Of course with a small developer like CO, I can see how DLC allows them added flexibility to release more content, especially since the initial sales figures support further development. I suppose it comes down to how much any new content costs along with what is included, buying buildings (even in packs) is pretty sucky if you ask me. However, fairly major add-ons to the transport networks like a Tram system I would probably pay for if priced reasonably. However, if everybody is pick 'n' mixing official content in this way, how long before that fragments the user base? I'd prefer to wait a few years and pay CO all over again for a "deluxe" version rather than the likely more expensive prospect of DLC packs. How would a NAM-like mod be able to work if it was dependent on content many people might not have additionally paid for? Some uniformity would actually be beneficial to the long-term prospects of the game IMHO.

Share this comment

well i still dont know why its not in stores if you gone make a game it should be 4 all to use not just for them to download over a computer. i know if it was in us stores it would do them some good but it has not hit the racks yet 

Share this comment

I'm not a huge fan of DLC, I don't really like the feeling of buying my games one piece at a time, if it's not finished, sell it to me when it is. Of course with a small developer like CO, I can see how DLC allows them added flexibility to release more content, especially since the initial sales figures support further development. I suppose it comes down to how much any new content costs along with what is included, buying buildings (even in packs) is pretty sucky if you ask me. However, fairly major add-ons to the transport networks like a Tram system I would probably pay for if priced reasonably. However, if everybody is pick 'n' mixing official content in this way, how long before that fragments the user base? I'd prefer to wait a few years and pay CO all over again for a "deluxe" version rather than the likely more expensive prospect of DLC packs. How would a NAM-like mod be able to work if it was dependent on content many people might not have additionally paid for? Some uniformity would actually be beneficial to the long-term prospects of the game IMHO.

i feel you on that lol its like gta5 all over agin from wat you saying 

Share this comment