• RedScope53
    RedScope53

SimCity(2013) will be moddable

As many have wondered and asked, "Will the new SimCity be moddable?" Answer? YES!

Ocean Quigley told the audience. "We've designed all this stuff to be moddable. We know modding is hugely important to our community. We know the reason why people are still playing SimCity 4 ten years later is because the modding community has kept it alive. GlassBox is built to be moddable, but beyond that we haven't announced anything"

Sign in to follow this  
    Sign in to follow this  

User Feedback

I kind of new this was coming, though not this early on. Thanks for the news! Everyone rejoice!

"We know modding is hugely important to our community," Quigley noted. "We know the reason why people are still playing SimCity 4 ten years later is because the modding community has kept it alive. GlassBox is built to be moddable, but beyond that we haven't announced anything"

- Ocean Quigley

Thank you Maxis for hearing us out on this one! /weep

Share this comment

time to celebrate, I'm starting to modd for simcity 5 now, im modding a new road curb called curbside, yo, tools are hanging in the modding crew, bumbaclot the crew, massive, live it up to the ea guys, wow, thanks :boggle:

Share this comment

Ocean Quigley just said in words what we hoped someone would say when they introduced a new SimCity game. Color me impressed, so far. :golly:

Share this comment

Just the news I was looking for! But there is still one thing: what files will be compatible with this new game? Will we still be able to use GMAX/BAT?

Share this comment

Well, I've got zoning and modding confirmed. Starting to get more excited. If the SimCity community has anything to be proud of, it's the modding. <3 This is great news.

Share this comment

I just wish they'd streamed the Glassbox presentation so the community could hear it first-hand, not through news sites.

Share this comment

usfighter15, most likely nothing will transfer over from SC4 to the new one, it's a whole different engine and graphics. I know there is a lot of stuff people have designed, but I would rather all new stuff be made rather than trying to import lower quality graphics.

Share this comment

As long as there is no forcing co-operative gameplay, as with the Facebook games or with the initial Cities XL launch, then I'll be looking forward to this.

Share this comment

I see I have to bring all your hopes crashing to the floor, and be the overly pessimistic manically depressed player here.

Anyway, In case you guys don't know, Simcity has a LOT of DLC that EA is planning for it. There are British neighbourhood packs, German Neigbourhood packs, Maxisman and Dr. Vu are back. A thousand other DLC packs are probably being considered. My Opinion on this, Don't expect modding tools until at least 12-18 months after release. EA want to monetize this as much as possible, being EA, I wouldn't be suprised if they gave us the modding tools 16 months after release (around 2014) then stopped communicating with the simcity community for a while so they can remake Spore.

Share this comment

@ Grim: Of course. could come ship with it, but its highly unlikely and will take up to a year or more. Now I myself round it off to 7-13 months, but who knows.

Share this comment

I don't mind DLC...just don't make me have to have co-operative gameplay with someone else in order to build something or unlock something.

Share this comment