• Hellken
    Hellken

SimCity Will Have an In-Game Store

It’s been known for a while not that the upcoming SimCity will have always-on DRM, though it won’t force players to always play in multiplayer mode. That’s not ideal, and it will likely only end up frustrating users, the way Diablo III’s Error 37 did. If EA and Maxis can manage to provide robust support, though, the DRM is something most dedicated SimCity fans will learn to live with.

What SimCity fans might not be able to live with, however, is seeing content they believe should have come with the game locked away behind a micro-transaction paywall. A recently leaked SimCity game manual has hit the web, and NeoGAF user dmr87 spotted a section titled “SimCity Store.” The section, in its entirety:

Click the banner on the main menu to enter the SimCity store. Here, you’ll find special add-ons for sale. Select STORE to view the full list of additional game content (both free and paid) that can provide you with new gameplay possibilities.

That doesn’t reveal much about what the store will be, but a quick overview of EA’s recent business practices shows that the SimCity store will likely be similar to the store for Maxis’ The Sims 3. The “Digital Deluxe Upgrade Pack,” which adds European City Sets, will almost certainly be in the store on day one.

To be sure, SimCity is a type of game where a constant stream of new, inexpensive content might make sense. EA, though, is making a habit of placing in-game purchases in AAA games that might normally be considered complete. For example, Dead Space 3 will also have in-game micro-transactions for things such as weapon-crafting materials. That doesn’t necessarily mean the drop rate for materials in the game has been reduced to encourage sales, but such a conflict between good gameplay and micro-transaction sales outside of the free-to-play space is worrying.

Sign in to follow this  
    Sign in to follow this  

User Feedback

Yes, this "leaked manual" and the idea of a SimmCity Store came up in the forums a couple weeks ago. It was seen referenced in reddit. There has been no mention of exactly what will be sold, and the idea that material that "should be part of the game" will be "sold" is mere speculation. Who knows...?

Share this comment

Great, as if $$$60 is not enough. If it was a 'free to play' game i would understand. This leech strategy will kill this pethatic company called EA. And it takes Maxis with it.

Share this comment

I can completely see the custom content we (BATers/modders) make will be sold through the in-game store for ridiculous prices whilst we creators get nothing for it.

Share this comment

Wow, I thought EA/Maxis could not do anything more to make me not want to buy this game first hand, but this actually destroyed any chance of any future delayed purchase of the game by me. Maxis, you should be ashamed of yourselfs, of letting EA destroy your best franchize!

Share this comment

Well, there is still no inkling of "custom content" made by the playing community here. Would any repectable modder or lotter allow EA to sell their product without a royalty kick-back? Looks like the free ride is over, and so is the life of this new game. It might even be stillborn.

Share this comment

It's a real shame this is happening, but it was expected. Online stores are commonly used nowadays, since they're a clever way to earn additional revenue. If there is demand, people will buy it. But the content will still need to be universally compatible with those who don't. This could involve 'containing' the content to your own cities / regions, therefore not affecting players without it. Some of it could just be for 'eye-candy' purposes. Although it has not been announced, I suspect some of the DLC could include:

• New buildings
    • Additional maps
    • Themed city sets
    • Resource "boost" packs
    • Simoleons

As for custom content, we'll just have to wait and see. There is no evidence that it will be sold for their own profit. At this stage, custom content does seem low priority, as it's hardly been mentioned since the game was announced. However, if this was true, it would be an insult to most of the SimCity community. Many people here, and at other fan-sites, create mods because of an underlying passion for the game. Since content is made accessible for free, there is no way people would allow it to be sold by someone else. There are many problems this would create. Who would determine the prices and what would be permissible to be sold? It would be just going too far.

Share this comment

I've been hammering on thsi aspect for quite a while and pointed it out in my review of the demo I took part of at Gamescon in summer. (nothing changed btw, beta was identical) http://community.simtropolis.com/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=8087 (righ up corner of the window) I see one way how EA would actually be able to make money of this and satify modders.... here is a world idea EA, and I hope you are paying attention. In diablo 3 you can farm high end items and sell them for real money of which Blizzard get a share. Now whatch AUCTIONHOUSE DIABLO 3 > ACRHITECT MARKET PLACE Have fans build content at which they can sell copies. Each time someone buys the content, the rightful designer gets 65-75 % and EA gets the "auctionhouse cut" Not only will this promote creativity but also allows modding, BATing and remove the boogeyman image EA promotes with DLC for this game. Think carefully about it EA. Unless this was your plan al allong, than my hats off to you sirs!

Share this comment

The real insult here is that after paying $59.99 USD ($79.99 if you preorder the Deluxe Edition), EA/Maxis expect you to pay *more* for content that likely should have been packed with the game to begin with.

Share this comment

Yep, just like the topic I made a few weeks ago and got locked. EA's DLC extravaganza buy this building, buy that vehicle and buy more that feature will be there in its full glory. But, of course, it's all speculation and we don't know EA's reputation. Perhaps these DLCs will be free or exchangeable for symbolic happy smileys.

Share this comment

Haven't read a single thing I like about this newest SC version. Am decidedly not purchasing this one. Will stick with SC4 Delux instead.

Share this comment

Not surprised... unfortunately I have seen this coming for a long time. EA/Maxis has obviously seen how popular the STEX is for adding features to SC4, and decided to implement a similar thing for Simcity 2013, probably why there is so little in the base game so they can milk it out of us later.

Guess this adds another stumbling block to community mods for this game, why would they let people mod it as it will be competition for they're own DLC sales, or alliteratively mods will have to be submitted to EA/Maxis so they can be sold  :-(. (All speculation on my part but I hope it doesn't pan out like this). 

Share this comment

Not surprised... unfortunately I have seen this coming for a long time. EA/Maxis has obviously seen how popular the STEX is for adding features to SC4, and decided to implement a similar thing for Simcity 2013, probably why there is so little in the base game so they can milk it out of us later.

Guess this adds another stumbling block to community mods for this game, why would they let people mod it as it will be competition for they're own DLC sales, or alliteratively mods will have to be submitted to EA/Maxis so they can be sold  :-(. (All speculation on my part but I hope it doesn't pan out like this). 

Sorry to break ti to you, but 'making a quick buck' is EA's middle name.  :(

Share this comment

^I know the only EA stuff I really have is Simcity4/Mass effect games, all of which I bought well after release so they didn't make too much bucks out of me :-).

Share this comment

I first called this way back when the always-online mode was confirmed as required.  No surprise and they will not see one dollar from me.

Share this comment