• Dirktator
    Dirktator

SimCity Update 6: Streetcars

MaxisGuillaume talks more about how streetcars work.

Hello mayors! We’ve noticed there have been a lot of questions about how public transit works under the hood, so today I’m going to lift that hood.

When a streetcar leaves the depot, it’s going to make a left turn, as there’s less “work” to get to the 21 people who need to be picked up, since the stop is very close and the 48 people who are waiting on the right are too far comparatively.

If there was a situation where 300 people were waiting at the first stop to the right of the depot, and only one was waiting on the left, then the streetcars would make a right turn as they exit every time until everyone in the crowded stop is picked up. Then the next streetcar would make a left turn to pick up that one person.

There are a couple of obvious issues with this approach though:

1. If there are 300 Sims waiting for the streetcar on the other side of the loop for example, they may have to wait a long time for the vehicles to make their way. To remedy this problem, we’re looking into make crowded stops “high priority pick-up” destinations that transit vehicles will go to first.

2. Another problem is that, well, all the vehicles that are in the same area and want to go to the same destination type will all follow the same path, resulting in clumping and general traffic problems. We’re looking into various ways to improve the situation so traffic will spread out better.

Sign in to follow this  
    Sign in to follow this  

User Feedback

"We're looking into various ways to improve the situation so traffic will spread out better."

Shouldn't this have been done a year ago during development? So everyone who's purchased the game thus far paid for a beta version I guess.

Share this comment

Where is that I told you so meter? Neeed that here

Yeah, unfinished game, bugs etc. Remmember a time when a game was FINISHED on release and neededs maybe 1 or 2 patches over the course of the entire year? Told u told u told.

Pre-ordering and buying even with this online DRM makes this possible, thank yourselves all the mindles "casual"gamers who buy EA's unfinished stuff like cattle.

Share this comment

I think the optimal solution is to give the player more control here.  By adding a system by which you control a bus's/streetcar's route, as well as how frequent the stop needs to be addressed, not only would these issues be fixed, but the mass transit system would be more interesting and fun. 

If a stop had a particularly large traffic load, you would be able to increase the frequency that stop is visited.  (Perhaps providing a limit, rather than an actual precise number).

When plopping, or clicking a stop after the fact, the player could have a slider bar that controled the frequency.  The stops would be assigned a number based on the order they were plopped (maybe the player could manually type in the stop number for the anal retentive among us).  Then when plopping or clicking the bus/streetcar modules at the depot, you could go into a mode where you create the route for the vehicles coming from that module, with a default to go to each stop in order, so the player wouldn't have to micro manage if they didn't want to, but that decision might come at the expense of efficiency. 

My $0.02

Share this comment

After playing CIM for a while, I understood that throwing buses and streetcars everywhere doesn't work, and that's the way it seems to be working...

Lines should be planned by the player... as in Cities in motion, or CitiesXL...

Just my opinion, anyway...

Share this comment

By the way, as you have mentioned Cities in Motion, CIM2 will be released on April 2nd. Maybe this game can make me forget this whole Simcity disappointment.

Share this comment

Where is that I told you so meter? Neeed that here

Ask and you shall receive...

18dMREc.png

And yes, it definitely warrants the extended meter. It's that bad.

Share this comment

By the way, as you have mentioned Cities in Motion, CIM2 will be released on April 2nd. Maybe this game can make me forget this whole Simcity disappointment.

I hope so, too. Cities in Motion 1 is decent enough, even without its DLCs. Cities in Motion looks even better, with the gridless maps, large dynamically evolving cities, multiplayer and so on. A word to the wise, though - most Paradox-published games are released as obvious betas. No bugs of the game-breaking variety I could remember, but it can get pretty rough the first weeks before they're mostly ironed out.

Share this comment

After playing CIM for a while, I understood that throwing buses and streetcars everywhere doesn't work, and that's the way it seems to be working...

Lines should be planned by the player... as in Cities in motion, or CitiesXL...

Just my opinion, anyway...

I completely agree. And no MAxis, this is not unnescicary micromanagement that a player does not want to be bothered with. You could keep your standard rules for the system, but let players have influence on them, for axamble by laying out a number of prefered 'lines' and havind stopfrequencies or capacity settings on stops/lines.

This is actually quite simulair like the influence city council has over public transportation over here in the Netherlands. The system is ran by a private company, but the council has a say in how the lines run and what capacity and frequency certain area's should be serviced at.

Share this comment