• Dirktator
    Dirktator

SimCity Update 5 Coming

Update 5 is focused on improvements to Multiplayer and Multi-city Play

• New: Historic Price charts for Global Market resources are available from the SimCity World button on the main menu.

• New: The Region Wall chat has been completely updated with a new look and new functionality! Chat functions more efficiently and it’s much easier to communicate with other players. Time stamps show on chat messages on rollover. Regional events are easier to read and can be toggled on and off.

• New: Added a filter for friends’ regions in the join region section.

• New: Trading control. Added feature to give players more control over their utilities. Players can now choose whether or not to keep their power, water, or sewage local. This setting can be found on the information panel accessible by clicking on the power plant, water tower, or sewage pipe or plant. Sharing with the region is on by default.

• New: Regional Missions: Added seven new regional missions: Drink It Up!, Plug In, So Stoked, The Wheels on the Bus, Ferry Dust, Station to Station, and Riding Coach.

• New: Regional Achievement: Added a new regional achievement, Field Trip!

• Gifting Improvements: Cash gifts are now delivered electronically, not by truck. This should improve the efficiency of gifting.

• Resource gifts: Resource gifts will happen more reliably. Multiple trucks can make deliveries at once if they are available in the sending city and the truck capacities have been increased.

• Great Works Improvements: Delivery trucks will mark their resources as dropped off as soon as they reach the Great Works, instead of when they arrive back in the city. This will make tracking time more reliable.

• Great Works Improvements: Update to have all resources at Great Works handled at the regional level. This will address players in different cities seeing different resources once the server has processed the region and cities.

• Great Works Improvements: Fixed an issue where an Arcology would maintain power from the region and fixed an issue where shoppers would not increase at the Arcology as it was leveled up. This will update in both existing and new Arcologies.

• Great Works Improvements: Tuned the Solar Farm.

• Regional Unlocks: The advanced coal mine unlocks regionally. Fixed issue where the Trade HQ sometimes did not unlock.

• Fire Advisor Trading clarity: Tuned the Fire advisor so they do not tell you that neighbors are sending fire trucks when your neighbor has no fire stations.

• Trading: School buses that travel from a neighbor’s city will show that city’s avatar.

• Regional Commuting: Fixed an issue where Sims would not be able to take transit out of cities with lots of streetcars or shuttle buses. This could cause some cases where commuting Sims could not return home and their homes would go abandoned.

• Garbage Trucks and Recycling Trucks: Fixed an issue that some cities experienced where garbage and recycling trucks do not leave their buildings or disappeared when trading service with neighbors. Existing cities who have trucks that have disappeared will have to demolish their missing trucks’ garages and plop new garages.

• Text Clarification: The “Out of Money” message now says “Can’t find work” when appropriate in rollover feedback and the approval rating UI. This is to clarify your Sims’ actual need.

User Feedback

Awesome.  Wake me up when they actually do something to improve the game.  Since none of these "fixes" fix what's wrong with it, here's me still not playing.  

Share this comment

to me this is just telling us how broken the game still is. Come 2014 and the game will be fixed, but wait whats this? ah yes no servers to play it on!

Share this comment

And whom is this supposed to impress?  All this garbage should have been in the game to start with.  If it is in the design originally, shame on the whole bunch of you for not writing to the specification before you started your exorhitant sales effort with its exorbitabt pricing.

If this is a design iteration, then, again, for shame.  You are guilty of casting pearls before swine and expecting them to eat it all up without getting indigestion.  I suggest that the qualification of the programming team is a little sparse to say the least.

I have to say that the programming/systems management for this effort is a misnomer.  This is not 2003.  You can't design the game on the fly depending on user feedback.  When you have finished prototyping I might consider your game as eligible for a test, but not at the DRM price.  I want a stand-alone version that has no interaction with Origin beyond a one-time registration.

City building is not a community project.  The sooner you realize that, the better.  The whole idea of multiple players in the same region gives me a great chill.

Share this comment

SimCity's updates are all worthless anyway.

To be honest, I'd rather have the light setting issue fixed, bigger city sizes, and more entrances from the damn highway.

Share this comment

To be honest, I'd rather have the light setting issue fixed, bigger city sizes, and more entrances from the damn highway.

Come (back) to SC4.  The graphics may be a little old, but you can have the rest.

Share this comment

After 5 patches, is there still somebody who doesn't think the game was released at half of development stage? All rushed things don't work properly...

Share this comment

I think it's funny how much time you people invest hating a game. Every article that comes out about SimCity, I can count on the same people trolling it.

Some people just love to hate.

Share this comment

Come (back) to SC4.  The graphics may be a little old, but you can have the rest.

A little old, I still think they look a hell of a lot better than SC2013's 'kiddie' style graphics. 3D is over-rated in this genre imo.

I think it's funny how much time you people invest hating a game. Every article that comes out about SimCity, I can count on the same people trolling it.

Some people just love to hate.

Gotta hate it or else EA/Maxis won't realise what to fix. I it's unlikely anyway but at least we can say "we told you so" to them when it fails and the servers are shut down.

Share this comment

Gotta hate it or else EA/Maxis won't realise what to fix. I it's unlikely anyway but at least we can say "we told you so" to them when it fails and the servers are shut down.

Like they were ever going to listen AND do something about it. We are talking about EA here.

Share this comment

Like they were ever going to listen AND do something about it. We are talking about EA here.

True.  If listening to users was something they had ANY interest in, Maxis would have done so prior to making the game.  

Everybody needs to realize though that it was Maxis that dropped the ball here and not EA.  These directional decisions about the game were all Maxis'.  This is the game they've been talking about making for years, long before SC4 even.  Surely the older players recall Maxis talking about how the game had become too complex and how their next version would be dumbed down and probably wouldn't appeal to people like us.  

EA gets its fair share of blame for a host of things, but this is mostly Maxis.

Share this comment

[...]

EA gets its fair share of blame for a host of things, but this is mostly Maxis.

And still I try to make myself think that it is EA's fault and not that of Maxis. Because Maxis did make the great SimCity 4. I try to think that they wanted to do something more in that direction.

But I do know that you are very probably right. And that does make me sad. Very.

Share this comment

I suspect, claims to the contrary accepted but not believed, that the air went out of Maxis when Will Wright left.  He was their shining star of creativity.  What's left over seems to have more The Sims experience than city planning ability.

I can think of nothing more hokey than the current multi-player set up.  As for not having a stand-alone game with stand-alone saves, how can they expect the community to be able to develop anything?  They've cut themselves off from the world-wide creativity that made SC4 what it is.

Sad, sad.  Not much point in hating EA or Maxis.  We can just ignore them in future.

Share this comment

I can think of nothing more hokey than the current multi-player set up. As for not having a stand-alone game with stand-alone saves, how can they expect the community to be able to develop anything? They've cut themselves off from the world-wide creativity that made SC4 what it is.

Sad, sad. Not much point in hating EA or Maxis. We can just ignore them in future.

A lot of companies are starting "always - online" connection policies or finding new ways to keep their eyes on their customers. This model is spreading from games to software like Adobe.

I don't care about console video game wars; but thank goodness Japanese companies still have common sense. I am happy SONY punched Microsoft in the face last week. Telling paying customers to connect to servers for products to work should be a crime.

Share this comment

^ Agreed.  They extract a license fee from you, then decide you are totally untrustworthy after they have got your money.  If this gets to be a corporate thing, the Internet will be full of this traffic and will suffer some kind of stroke.

If you purchase a license and the media for MS Office at that exorbitant price, then that should be that.  Registration, OK.  Even unlock it on registration, OK.  Log in to run it?  Phooey, or to put it more directly "f u" strong letter to follow.

Share this comment

A little old, I still think they look a hell of a lot better than SC2013's 'kiddie' style graphics. 3D is over-rated in this genre imo.

I completed agree about the 3D being over rated. SC4 could have been re-release for 2013 and given curved roads and unlimited sized maps and I would be playing it forever. I still havent bought SIMCITY 2013 until they address the small city size.

There is no excuse for the current city size given the evolution of software and hardware. I'm sure I speak for most people when I say we only want a game that is realistic, moddable, and is focused on being able to create cities they way we want...for better or worse. Not this current build that stifles all creativity because it's so heavy into data. I don't care how many sims flush their toilet per household. I just want to build realistic cities without restraint like SC4.  IS THAT TOO MUCH TO ASK?

Share this comment

The design/development team's main goal should have been to allow users to create realistic looking cities.  Any limitations that interfered with the goal should have been overcome at all costs and any features or functionality that didn't directly support that goal should have been deprioritized or left out of the game altogether.  

Share this comment

Another useless patch with no changes that were requested by players. Nice to see how EA keeps listenning to their custommers.

- Engine fixing ?

- Bigger maps ?

- Offline mode ?

- Mods ?

No matter what you want us to believe EA, most of us will always consider Simcity games as Solo experience before anything. most of us don't care about multiplayer.

And no matter what you say, SC is not an mmo and will never be.

Share this comment

My point is that you guys are beating a dead horse. No, that's not strong enough...

You are beating a horse that has already been hit over the head with a frying pan, shot, chopped to pieces, run over with a Ford Explorer, and shoe-bombed.

Just let it go. I'm just as disappointed as you... but it's not changing. Ranting about the problems of Simcity is just wasting your time. We've heard all the complaints, you have absolutely nothing new to contribute to the list.

The game failed. It's a sad shame. Move on.

Share this comment