• Hellken
    Hellken

SimCity city sizes will “eventually” expand, says Maxis

SimCity city sizes will “eventually” expand, says Maxis

Omri Petitte at 07:01pm March 1 2013

SimCity1-610x343.jpg

We’ve already examined the effects of SimCity’s city size limitation after Maxis stressed the necessity of the restriction for a gain in performance. City sizes will remain fixed when the game launches next Tuesday, but in the words of Gandalf (who’d make a pretty great mayor), “Hope remains.” Speaking toIncGamers, Creative Director Ocean Quigley says SimCity’s team “could certainly make the city sizes larger” as a reaction to more powerful hardware setups.

“We need to keep in mind that SimCity is a mainstream game,” Quigley clarifies. “It’s not a game that’s only going to run on high-end gaming PCs. It has to run in your dad’s PC as well. We’ll eventually get around to expanding the city size, but I can’t make any promises as to when.”

Yeah, well, my dad just installed his second Titan, so there. In any case, the prospect of seeing my populace spread across the map in a wave of prosperity and garbage trucks feels exciting indeed. That is, of course, if Maxis’ plans involves a substantial grid increase and not a fractional bump—I’d like to see the amazing GlassBox Engine roar with its newfound freedom, not mumble.

Sign in to follow this  
    Sign in to follow this  

User Feedback

Just for an easy payment of 29,99$

If the game had performance - scaling options then there would be fewer compromises...

Mr. Krabs smells....DLC. ;) 

Share this comment

Look what SOE with Planetside 2 did: Free to play,.. and they earn more money now than just selling the game. €80,- for a game? They are crazy... I like the set-up of PS2. Now i had the chance to actually play the full game and feel if it's worth my money. The result is that i spend over €120 on that game. 

Share this comment

i don't get it. all this time, they waited for 10 long years because our PCs weren't powerful enough. now that they are more than powerful enough, they want to cater to lower end PCs?

and my dad's PC has a 2nd gen core-i5 as of two years ago. it's not up there but it's not low-end either. just sayin'.

Share this comment

My dad's PC do not have internet connection all the time.

More I read about this game less I fell I'll buy it. Bigger maps in a future paid DLC, no subways, also maybe in a future DLC. Same with mods, pay extra for it!

The impression I get now is this complete game will cost at least $300 and you won't even own it. These licenses nowadays are more like you're renting the game.

Share this comment

My computer is about 2 years old, i-5 sandy bridge, 8gb ram and radeon HD 4870 for less than 500 euro's. And that was 2 years ago! I can run the game on full details :S

And yes, EA nom longer sells games, they sell services, they stated this a while ago...  outrages tbh.

Share this comment

Even if I was willing to run a DRM game, I think I am one of the older machines they are talking about.  (AMD Athlon II X2 245 Processor × 2)

And if they go to a bigger machine, will they still be stuck in the 32-bit world or will they support 64- or 128- bit machines without a 32-bit mode?  My machine is getting more than a little long in the tooth, but it does what I want.  I am not likely to purchase a new box unless I have a direct need.

Share this comment

LOL monsterjamp, that'll never happen you can download the DLC of bigger maps for a one-time payment...or they'll be really cheap and dirty and try to call it an expansion

Share this comment

LOL monsterjamp, that'll never happen you can download the DLC of bigger maps for a one-time payment...or they'll be really cheap and dirty and try to call it an expansion

LOL, in a way it is an expansion, so there's no harm in calling it that ;-) But yeah. This sort of thing is exactly why I won't buy this game, eventhough I really like what I am seeing. I might be old fashioned, but I want to pay for a game, own it and have full functionallity, i.s.o. renting serverspace and a userlisence and paying extra for every little thing I want to do...

Share this comment

"I’d like to see the amazing GlassBox Engine roar with its newfound freedom, not mumble."

Very well put. You can't make so many comprimises and preformance decisions with a ten year old sequel and an amazing new engine.

Share this comment

Glassbox engine is perfect for the new Transport Tycoon. Not Simcity. I admire Maxis for the works in the past. But they failed big time on this one.

Share this comment

I believe there is an easy solution to the tile size problem. if they implemented a way to edit the region infrastructures like highways and train tracks and if they made some tiles adjacent one to another, maybe by adding a few city tiles per region, it would be much more acceptable for us megalopolis junkies that want to build actual cities. If its only a matter of what mainstream computers can handle, this should do the trick. or maybe its more a matter of server management and economic efficiency... not that EA resonates with that corporate mindset..... I mean... yeah, old news... 

Share this comment

If I pay for the game, so I want a game only my. Without restrictions, and without having to be online to play.
    I think that nothing democratic!

Share this comment

I believe there is an easy solution to the tile size problem. if they implemented a way to edit the region infrastructures like highways and train tracks and if they made some tiles adjacent one to another, maybe by adding a few city tiles per region, it would be much more acceptable for us megalopolis junkies that want to build actual cities. If its only a matter of what mainstream computers can handle, this should do the trick. or maybe its more a matter of server management and economic efficiency... not that EA resonates with that corporate mindset..... I mean... yeah, old news... 

A better solution would be to support Boomtown.  ;)

Share this comment

I have to agree with cirugo that maybe I'll eventually buy it. Even beyond the map size and only-play-on-our-server limitations, though: the reason I still play SC4 is because of all the flexibility and creativity that I get from user-created maps and buildings. I assume that Maxis/EA have no plans to allow that, since they seem to avoid the subject (and I'm sure EA hopes to make $$$ by selling new building "expansions" to players). That just makes SimCity sound boring to me. I'm happy to spend my gaming time continuing to lurk and download at SC4 communities.

Share this comment