• dudkis
    dudkis

SimCity 2013 to be Joined by Mobile Version?

According to the most recent EA financial report, the new SimCity will have a mobile version.

Sign in to follow this  
    Sign in to follow this  

User Feedback

Streamlined interface + simplified game = Mobile version

In vain all the discussion about the dilapidation of the characteristics of Simcity the reason is only one ...ie reach a larger market.

Share this comment

Is this the part where I should use curse words? I don't think so, there is no right time for that.

Anyways, this confuses me, but it doesn't surprise me... If this is actually true, I am going to not buy the game even more and maybe put effort in convincing others not to buy it.

I mean, do we really want this to be the future? I know I don't.

It just feels like lying to me, hiding important facts for so long. Might as well not release it for regular computers then... Really, EA... Really?! Argh... Man, I really am annoyed by this.

Share this comment

^ They haven't even released the new SimCity yet and already talk about a mobile version has begun? It means they are wasting design time which the new SimCity really needs. And the mobile version of SimCity is a waste of time anyways, in my opinion.

Share this comment

As usual, it appears that EA is competing with itself.

Trying to get something like SC4 Deluxe onto a mobile system was trying to get an elephant into a breadbox. Now, with this program they had to wait for 10 years for technology to catch up enough to create, they will be trying to stuff the Orient Express into a matchbox.

Share this comment

There's no reason for anyone to be upset about this. EA just wants to add variety so how the game is played. There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with that! Some people won't mind it having simcity on their phones at times where they are not able to play the complete PC version. I'm one of them! Yes, they're trying to make more money but that's what business is about. They would fail to exist if they didn't try to make money. People need to chill out...

Share this comment

^ But they should be focusing on the flagship product at hand, as opposed to some wishy-washy knockoff that will never be able to compete with the real deal (e.g. SC4) or even come close. At least SC2013 will have a chance to compete with SC4. Even if small, it's a better chance than this mobile version could ever possibly have due to the very nature of it; it's for mobile devices.

Share this comment

Why am I not surprised.

EA want as many pieces of the pie as possible even if it means stripping the game to its bones and adding Online DRM.

This nonsense will only stop once people stop throwing their money at these pirates. When devs start loosing money big time only then will things change for the better for us gamers.

Share this comment

The idea that the interface could be small enough for a mobile unit indicates that the game must be run on-line in the server, or at least one version of it. A mobile phone just isn't suited for something that uses up processor and memory in the way that simulations must.

The very idea militates agains the idea of a stand-alone game, and it also guarantees, since it would run on a system with a permanent telecommunications connection, that it would be on-line all the time.

I sense the presence of rattus Norvegicus, bubonic plague and all.

Share this comment

Companies are possessed to earn as much money as possible with as little expenditure, with the exception of Google, which seems hellbent on driving patent-free software to extinction even at the cost of bankruptcy.

Share this comment

Eugh, I'm all for tablet/phone games but they're definitely not right for a PC game like SimCity. SimCity takes thought, patience, and a decent amount of time per session. Not things the mobile platform is very well suited for.

Hope Maxis has some outsourced team working on this version. I'd hate to see the designers forced to limit what SimCity could be because of the mobile platforms.

Share this comment

Every time something new about this game is released, it makes the likelihood of me buying it less. This is looking to be a major disappointment. Oh well, there's always SC4 :)

Share this comment

Now everything makes sense. The desktop version may nearly be the same version as the mobile. Small maps, lacking in details such as subways. Mobile gaming tends to be more social, as it is usually wireless. The 60$ price tag seems to be a little high if this is the case.

Share this comment

Come on people, we're jumping to conclusions. First off, if you read anything about the new SimCity it is anything but lacking in details... Its probably the most detailed one yet when you look at its simulation capability. If they're even remotely able to put that on a moblie platform, kudos to them.

The fact that they might make another mobile Simcity is encouraging to me, it shows that maxis is at least trying to make Simcity a better game on all platforms. Who knows maybe this mobile game will be better than the previous one, which wont be hard to do (believe me).

Yes this simcity probably wont live up to what SC4 was to us when it came out, I mean making something better than SC4 in a 3D game is not an easy task at all. Maxis isnt the only group that has attempted it as we all know. When you step back and just look at all the confirmed features in the new Simcity and only compare it to the other fully 3D, city-simulating games out there, it has a pretty great potential.

Share this comment

Come on people, we're jumping to conclusions. First off, if you read anything about the new SimCity it is anything but lacking in details... Its probably the most detailed one yet when you look at its simulation capability. If they're even remotely able to put that on a moblie platform, kudos to them.

The fact that they might make another mobile Simcity is encouraging to me, it shows that maxis is at least trying to make Simcity a better game on all platforms. Who knows maybe this mobile game will be better than the previous one, which wont be hard to do (believe me).

Yes this simcity probably wont live up to what SC4 was to us when it came out, I mean making something better than SC4 in a 3D game is not an easy task at all. Maxis isnt the only group that has attempted it as we all know. When you step back and just look at all the confirmed features in the new Simcity and only compare it to the other fully 3D, city-simulating games out there, it has a pretty great potential.

But one also must compare the negative aspects of those games. No where else, in any other recent city building game (e.g. Cities In Motion, Cities XL) is the user explicitly required to use online-only features. In fact, the new SC2013 doesn't even have any offline features whatsoever, it's all online, unlike any of the new Sim City's modern counterparts.

Now sure, maybe it is the most detailed game of its kind yet, but only from a simulation perspective. Other than that, core aspects of the game are already guaranteed to limited (e.g. map size, city diversity, modability). There will never be any good news on that front if this is to have mobile compatibility; no mobile device can support any remotely complex 3D game.

Share this comment