• Freddyeddy
    Freddyeddy

Screw the game, SimCity has become a cynically brilliant advertising platform

Screw the game, SimCity has become a cynically brilliant advertising platform

So the good news is that Cheetah Speed has returned to SimCity, and some new content in the form of the “Attractions Set” has been released. Who doesn't love new buildings to add into their cities? So this is something that's free right? Or will we have to pay?

Make your Sims smile with the Attractions Set—five fun tourist hot spots that will not only make your Sims happy, but bring in more tourists. If you want to plop these playful attractions in your city, you need to be located in the United States and you’ll also need to purchase a specially marked Crest or Oral-B product to receive a code good for all five attractions.

Son of a $%&^!. So there's no way to buy the content, and it certainly isn't free. It's just a way to get people who like SimCity to buy toothpaste. This isn't a cosmetic addition to the game, as these additions - and I think a giant ball of twine is seriously an awesome addition - will give you an advantage during play.

“The Attractions Set adds happiness to low wealth Sims,” the official post stated. “They will also bring in all three wealth classes of tourists into your city.”

This is why I have such a deep loathing for EA at the moment. It's not that you get neat stuff for buying a certain brand of toothpaste, it's that the game seems designed around these sponsorship deals and monetization strategies. It doesn't feel like EA and Maxis sat down and tried to create the very best version of SimCity possible, it feels like they designed the game that would be the easiest to control, monetize, and sell to advertisers.

Source: http://penny-arcade.com/report/article/simcity-as-advertising-platform-how-ea-rewards-you-for-buying-real-world-pr

Sign in to follow this  
    Sign in to follow this  

User Feedback

Quote:

This is why I have such a deep loathing for EA at the moment. It's not that you get neat stuff for buying a certain brand of toothpaste, it's that the game seems designed around these sponsorship deals and monetization strategies. It doesn't feel like EA and Maxis sat down and tried to create the very best version of SimCity possible, it feels like they designed the game that would be the easiest to control, monetize, and sell to advertisers.

Share this comment

Quote:

This is why I have such a deep loathing for EA at the moment. It's not that you get neat stuff for buying a certain brand of toothpaste, it's that the game seems designed around these sponsorship deals and monetization strategies. It doesn't feel like EA and Maxis sat down and tried to create the very best version of SimCity possible, it feels like they designed the game that would be the easiest to control, monetize, and sell to advertisers.

This is exactly what happened and it is playing out right now.

Share this comment

this guy thinks this DLC is actually worth taking the time to download.  that invalidates everything else he says.

i think the author was trying to be sarcastic which actually didnt come across well. i had to read it again just to be sure.

Share this comment

this guy thinks this DLC is actually worth taking the time to download.  that invalidates everything else he says.

i think the author was trying to be sarcastic which actually didnt come across well. i had to read it again just to be sure.

Actually, it wasn't that hard to see it was coming across as Sarcastic. Think about it when the author added "hyphens" between the comment about the attractions set. But besides that, I still see that EA's taking SimCity into the same steps as EA's Sims 3.

So much advertising being loaded onto the Sims 3 and now SimCity 2013 by their sponsors, just feels annoying that they insist on shoving these products into gameplayers throats by getting them to buy toothpaste for extras and overwhelming you with company sponsored content.

It's just sad the to think that when we've finally been handed the latest in SimCity after 10 years of waiting, that they've mainly developed it, solely for milking customers of their cash and turning the game into an advertising platform; not to mention that it looks like a disastrous remastering of SimCity social, but in 3D. All this game seems to be is to have people pay $100 to be closely monitored, spammed with adverts and pushed around years later when they shutdown the game's severs.

As if they had any real vision or direction, let alone innovation set for the game. SC2013 being 3D alone isn't any more of an improvement from SC4. So far, I only have negative feedback for the game...and I haven't even bought it.

It's just sad...

Share this comment

If so then I agree with the article

Share this comment

If so then I agree with the article

The main idea is not the worth of downloading the content or just beeing sarcastic about it. I think the author wants to underline the NEED to buy stuff (toothpaste or whatever) to make the game work by adding tourist or making your Sims happy...(do not be surprised if you get something *cool* for your university city if you enrol to a random college in the USA)...I'm not going to buy this sh*t... EA: you ruined one of the best franchises ever created and you still want to make us believe that WE are wrong... 

Share this comment

A game costing over €60 to buy should not have DLC, PERIOD!!! There is NO excuse for this.

Look at Cities in Motion 2. The games costs €20. For that you get a more complete and better programmed game. CiM1 had DLC and I suspect the new one will have it too, but at least you don't feel robbed after just having payed up €60 for a useless piece of crap this new Sim City is!

And hey! After only spending €20 for a game and seeing some cool DLC content, you actually might feel like buying some of that stuff as a gamer, because.... And here it is EA/Maxis: my lesson in consumerbinding! ....... you might feel like you got a great deal recieving a featurepacked COMPLETED game for only €20, so you actually WANT to pay some extra because you feel that the developers deserve the extra monney and your appreciation!

Share this comment

Actually, it wasn't that hard to see it was coming across as Sarcastic. Think about it when the author added "hyphens" between the comment about the attractions set. But besides that, I still see that EA's taking SimCity into the same steps as EA's Sims 3.

So much advertising being loaded onto the Sims 3 and now SimCity 2013 by their sponsors, just feels annoying that they insist on shoving these products into gameplayers throats by getting them to buy toothpaste for extras and overwhelming you with company sponsored content.

It's just sad the to think that when we've finally been handed the latest in SimCity after 10 years of waiting, that they've mainly developed it, solely for milking customers of their cash and turning the game into an advertising platform; not to mention that it looks like a disastrous remastering of SimCity social, but in 3D. All this game seems to be is to have people pay $100 to be closely monitored, spammed with adverts and pushed around years later when they shutdown the game's severs.

As if they had any real vision or direction, let alone innovation set for the game. SC2013 being 3D alone isn't any more of an improvement from SC4. So far, I only have negative feedback for the game...and I haven't even bought it.

It's just sad...

Indeed. It seems like modern-day games have less and less stuff  as well. I have seen reviews of The Sims 3 and one common complaint is the lack of many in-game items, lack of some options, and the "NEW" ad campaign. Sure they add "some" featureless  features such as a new model for that, and some deformed model that looks rather unrealistic and the such.

A ad-driven MMO is not even a MMO, its a advertisement machine to make people spend hard-earned cash on next-nearly-useless-and-irrevelant items such as toothpaste. Seriously, who will go to buy toothpaste to get the gigant llama? and remember, its a chance ;), so make sure you buy about 10 packs of those.

Again, its a ad-machine and EA is willing to pull its trending titles such as Sim-social just to keep the machine afloat. Its sick and sad, but well, the good part is that we are not forced to buy the game.

RIP: 1996-2003 games, we miss you!

LC

Share this comment

Another great weapon, EA! Changing games into €60 ad-machines will surely helps you to get the next Golden Poo Award! I'd appreciate your effort in trying to keep the best award you ever got (and not bought), the Golden Poo Award. So, my question is, after stupid DLCs and Games-to-ad-machines converter, what is your next weapon to keep the award away from other competitors ?

Share this comment

220px-Colgate_Clock_in_situ.jpg

6457604519_348a6ce719_z.jpg

1020061f.gif

Factories, corporate headquarters, stores. These are all things that produce or sell toothpaste and belong in a city.

Share this comment

220px-Colgate_Clock_in_situ.jpg

6457604519_348a6ce719_z.jpg

1020061f.gif

Factories, corporate headquarters, stores. These are all things that produce or sell toothpaste and belong in a city.

instead they gave you stupid balls of twine and llama statues...

Share this comment

EA should of used advertising revenue to pay for the game>lower the cost>more users.

just remember we make CC to replicate the real world, some of which is full of advertising. 

Share this comment

I understand the gnome and llama, as those are developer in-jokes. The ball of twine is a real life landmark, so I'll let that slide. Don't know about Maxis Man, I think he's brand new? But the dinosaur, that's gotta go. And the toothpaste tie-in, that has to go too.

Share this comment

I don't mind advertising in the game - a series of well-made billboards and stuff can be a cool touch in any city... the Nissan leaf is not bad, just overdone with the heavy painted letters on the ground destroying the look (like any "screaming" ad does).

But to push stuff on the player requiring a RL purchase is just disgusting... Some here haven't tired to point out that today 'marketing is everything' - well, if such primitive campaigns are the best EA's marketing can come up with I'm not impressed.

Share this comment

I understand the gnome and llama, as those are developer in-jokes. The ball of twine is a real life landmark, so I'll let that slide. Don't know about Maxis Man, I think he's brand new? But the dinosaur, that's gotta go. And the toothpaste tie-in, that has to go too.

Giant dinosaurs are a popular tourist trap thing in real life, check out Cabazon, California for example. The thing is none of these things make sense outside of rural America.

Share this comment