• Dirktator
    Dirktator

PC Gaming is Not Dead – A Conversation With Maxis Producer Jason Haber

As a franchise from the 90’s, how do you try and stay relevant with the new age gamer? Is there any fear?

I think having this sort of refreshed game and rebuilding it from the ground up will make us more relevant with today’s gamer. It’s funny actually, because I think people who are really itching for a game like this. Everybody I’ve talked to is so excited about it. I think part of it is that it’s nice to have something that’s different to everything that’s out there. Having a triple-A city simulation game from the original city simulation team is just something that is right for that. And I think bringing in the features, not just the GlassBox simulation engine which is a new twist on it, but also bringing in the SimCity world features and multicity features really help it feel more relevant and modern. And even the Data Layers, I think the Data Layers really help with the sense of a new way to analyse data. I see info-graphics all the time; I see them not only in the newspaper but online and I think being able to take that and bring that into a game really feels fresh and different

As a premier PC title, perfectly suited for the medium, what is your response to all the people that like to claim that PC gaming is ‘the way of the past’ in favour of more mass market consoles and mobile devices?

I do not think PC gaming is dead. People still own PCs and I think this is one of the greatest PC games you’ll ever be able to have. So I completely disagree with that statement

User Feedback

I don't understand what the quoted text has to do with PC gaming being dead?

But from the quoted text... still don't want online only.

Share this comment

PC gaming isn't dead...

...All gaming is dead when all the major titles make gameplay online during a time in which internet access is not as inexpensive nor widespread as we'd all wish. By making only these sorts of games that rely on a constant internet connection; which essentially make them subscription only games (you have to pay a fee ech month to use them; your internet bill), Maxis/EA are helping to kill the industry, not just on PC. Besides, online multiplayer isn't compatible with every game; games like Sim City where modding is a major part of the gameplay take the biggest hit.

Share this comment

This has been a popular topic in the developers community because we are starting to reflect on how this new reality of 'apps', social media games and the figures showing the PC game sales declining every month is a reflection on the habits of the Average Consumer.

What most developers and companies don't seem to realise is that the declining sales are a consequence of bad decision making (especially where piracy prevention is concerned) and, in my view, investments in 'trend technology' that is the social media (i.e. facebook and twitter).

One would argue that the figures show that the consumer is shifting from the personal computer into mobile devises. I would say, putting figures in context, that the consumer is being Forced towards the mobile platform by the sum of bad decision making for the PC and bad investments in the new mobile market.

Share this comment

Sigh this Pc gaming is dying nonsense is so much BS, if anything with steam and the like its getting bigger, consoles IMO are in for a big fall soon.

@flyhigh everything yo said is BS, if anything the casual gaming on Facebook and other casual gaming is getting bigger on PC and numbers show that,

Share this comment

They probably can't go to bed until repeat 1000 times that what they do to Sim City is the only way to stay relevant with the new age gamer... And they end up believing that.

Share this comment

I love this repeating mantra in relation to justifying the multiplayer:

"...is the idea that cities don’t exist just in a bubble alone."

Too bad they actually do exist in very small, glaring and ludicrously unrealistic physical bubbles in this game.

Share this comment

Seems like just more sauce for the proper gander. I think many of us have agreed that gaming over the Internet with a permanent connection is not for us.

Continuing to shower us with hype is getting kind of unproductive, would you not agree? The proof of this pudding will be in those who can afford to eat at this expensive restaurant.

This article admits that it is a total reboot, back to SimCity version 0. Implication is that the old market is dead.

To this, I say, find a new platform and give up Windoze. If your game is an Internet required game, run the whole works on the server and handle the connections as fancy graphics terminals. No new technology of any kind is required for this. This kind of thing has been around for decades. The client end only has to be a rather fancy browser or simple terminal program.

Share this comment