• Benedict
    Benedict

New tools for roads under development - tunnels & overpasses coming.

Maxis announces more road options in development including overpasses, tunnels and bridges.

Other updates to traffic behavior, trees, vehicle behavior, freight and more are also in development.

• New: Brand new tool to create bridges, overpasses, and tunnels when you draw your roads.

When building your road, pressing the , key or . key will lower or raise the road accordingly creating overpasses, bridges and tunnels.

Note: Existing road layouts cannot be raised or lowered

• New: Improvements for Traffic behavior to make it smarter. This should reduce the number of lines formed by all available vehicles converging on a single spot. This affects all vehicles including Police, Fire Trucks, Moving Trucks, Garbage Trucks, Recycling Trucks, Resource Trucks, Buses, Ambulances, and Civilian vehicles going home, to work, or shopping.

• New: Tree tools – Place individual trees around your city. These tools are located at the end of the Nature Parks palette.

• Terrain: Fixes an issue some player’s see where terrain covers sections of roads while the camera is zoomed out.

• Fixed an issue where the fire animation would sometimes continue when fire was extinguished.

• Parks: Sports parks are now accepting Sims 24 hours a day.

• Airship: The number of Airship passenger trips should now be correct over multiple days.

• Vehicles: Vehicles now accelerate and decelerate faster, allowing them to leave buildings and go through intersections more efficiently.

• Freight: Freight trucks now only leave factories if they have a valid delivery destination.

• Gifting: Money gifting should be more reliable.

Sign in to follow this  
    Sign in to follow this  

User Feedback

A reminder... The same rules apply in news items as in the forums. Off-topic comments or statements regarded as unnecessary 'flaming' serve no purpose and will be removed.

Share this comment

Interesting that there is still some fixing going on.  This on-going debug behaviour reminds me of the early days of SC4.  However, with access to the game on the servers, it sure makes it easier to fix and propagate problems.

Share this comment

Interesting that there is still some fixing going on.  This on-going debug behaviour reminds me of the early days of SC4.  However, with access to the game on the servers, it sure makes it easier to fix and propagate problems.

Regular updates are common with the Agile methodology of software development. I expect many, many more updates.

Share this comment

This is going in a better direction just... no room for the overpasses on account of full maps and they will probably ask money for it while it should have already been in game

Share this comment

That's all very well, but do you think it is proper to run what amounts to an extended beta on paying customers?

Firstly, you'd have to define Beta. This game doesn't meet that definition (despite many users wanting it to). I do prefer the Agile methodology of software development. You allow users to provide direction, instead of putting hours into development of features users don't want. Agile employs the use of fast and constant updates because it gathers feedback and deploys a package to address the need. 

Share this comment

That's all very well, but do you think it is proper to run what amounts to an extended beta on paying customers?

Firstly, you'd have to define Beta. This game doesn't meet that definition (despite many users wanting it to). I do prefer the Agile methodology of software development. You allow users to provide direction, instead of putting hours into development of features users don't want. Agile employs the use of fast and constant updates because it gathers feedback and deploys a package to address the need. 

This doesn't qualify as a full game either if you ask me. IF users had that option to give direction, why do we have online play, small maps and al the other OBVIOUS things we never wanted but got, and wanted but never got.

Agile relies on the principle that one uses base forms to achieve many differant full forms, respond to demand. So why did SC get the electro cars and zepelins? and the yarnbol landmarks and the theme parks? When the 1st and foremost request is bigger maps and transport options? That they already knew we wanted but didnt add? They should have already been in the game, al excuses to rip of the consumer base and hoard sponsorships. 

Share this comment

This doesn't qualify as a full game either if you ask me. 

Of course, we all have our own opinions. SimCity was launched as a base product, with essentials. You feel you received an incomplete game. They deployed a game that met requirements. One of the beautiful things about Agile, is that requirements become flexible to meet demands. 

IF users had that option to give direction, why do we have online play, small maps and al the other OBVIOUS things we never wanted but got, and wanted but never got.

SimCity 2013 isn't a continuation of SimCity 4 - It isn't SimCity 4.1. This game is a reboot of SimCity. It is played differently, because its been designed that way. The focus of this game isn't building the all inclusive city - it's about regional play. People want bigger maps because they want their cities to have more buildings, roads, etc. While I understand this, and even agree that a slight increase in size would be nice, I think it would take away from the regional play this game was designed for.

People asked for overpasses and they are already in development. As I said, the launched game met requirements, and as users provided feedback, they are responding with what they want. Cost, scope, and other factors play into what gets developed first. 

Agile relies on the principle that one uses base forms to achieve many differant full forms, respond to demand. So why did SC get the electro cars and zepelins?

My understanding is, airships were going to be released regardless of any issues encountered. It was part of the roadmap.

The Crest and Nissan DLC probably helped offset cost. At the end of the day, businesses are in the business of making money. Perhaps this DLC is funding update 7. If it is, I'm happy to support it. 

When the 1st and foremost request is bigger maps and transport options? That they already knew we wanted but didnt add? They should have already been in the game, al excuses to rip of the consumer base and hoard sponsorships. 

Understand that scope is a part of software development. Should all other projects be put on hold so bigger maps are deployed? Keep in mind as well, not everyone wants bigger maps. Some computers can't handle bigger maps. I'm in favor of a slight increase. When questioned about the map size, Quigley said, “That is just a performance decision. Given that was the performance constraint we decided to work under, we built a larger region environment and a bunch of the multiplay to work with 2km cities. At some point in the future, especially with mainstream computers becoming more capable, we could certainly make the city sizes larger. We need to keep in mind that SimCity is a mainstream game, it’s not a game that is only going to run on high-end gaming PCs, it has to run in your Dad’s PC as well.”

Share this comment

Well, one can wish them well in their ongoing development.  Their initial pricing is far to rich for my blood, however.  I'd also have to upgrade my machine somewhat (new mobo at least) to run this beast, and I don't see doing that just to run one program.

Share this comment

Here's something.... remember the days where nothing was connected to the internet and companies had to make final versions of the game before it was released. Seven patches is ridiculous......... this should have never been released when it was an unfinished product. Very unprofessional of maxis and ea. I think this game has won the Guinness book of world records for updates..... try releasing a finished product ea..... it makes me really unhappy how the gaming industry thinks this is acceptable.

Share this comment

Well, you pays your money and you takes your choice.  How many people who bought this public beta from EA will ever give them any money for anything else that they have been hyping?

What they got was a very large test group who actually paid for the privilege, and are continuing to pay for DCC stuff to add to the rather incomplete and buggy game.

Fool the market once, and it probably won't be possible again with the same group of gullible buyers.  We'll see what happens when EA makes another offering for such a product.  The only way they would get away with another scam like this is to choose a different universe of discourse.

Share this comment

Here's something.... remember the days where nothing was connected to the internet and companies had to make final versions of the game before it was released. Seven patches is ridiculous......... this should have never been released when it was an unfinished product. Very unprofessional of maxis and ea. I think this game has won the Guinness book of world records for updates..... try releasing a finished product ea..... it makes me really unhappy how the gaming industry thinks this is acceptable.

Hardly. Civilization 2, released in 1996, had over 11 patches in its first year, some of which were almost weekly releases (I swore there were more than that before the first expansion, but I was young and the patch notes are incomplete).

Share this comment

Well, you pays your money and you takes your choice.  How many people who bought this public beta from EA will ever give them any money for anything else that they have been hyping?

What they got was a very large test group who actually paid for the privilege, and are continuing to pay for DCC stuff to add to the rather incomplete and buggy game.

Fool the market once, and it probably won't be possible again with the same group of gullible buyers.  We'll see what happens when EA makes another offering for such a product.  The only way they would get away with another scam like this is to choose a different universe of discourse.

Oh trust me, they will still buy their games no matter what.Now a days feels like people hardly think at all.

Share this comment

Well .. every single day the market grasps few hundred unwary new players for all kinds of game in all kind of device.

EA certainly works in accordance with this kind of thinking.

"There will always be someone to buy whatever you're selling on the internet if you promise something that misleads the consumer to want because the net is so"

So we are all welcome to the new and wonderful " digital market" ... where in fact you only rent what thought to be buying and also discovers that instead of apples the package contained pineapples

Good times those where we could buy a CD and install a game without having to ask the permission of the vendors to be able to use it ... since it was bought up, or maybe not !

Share this comment

Update 7 and they're just now fixing what seems to be egregious bugs, and just adding in features that should've long been standard.

Unbelievable, simply unbelievable.

Share this comment

About 30 years ago, I was working in an application shop that ran mission critical stuff for a large corporate bank.  If we had released programs in the condition that this one is in, we'd have killed the company, and where would we have ever found another job with that hanging over us?

Share this comment