• Cyclone Boom
    Cyclone Boom

Maxis Visit Impressions — Zelgadis

As you may know, Simtropolis were invited to visit Maxis HQ in October 2012, to investigate the new SimCity. Here, Zelgadis shares his own thoughts and impressions on the visit. There are some interesting insights about the game, and a few new pictures.

To read Dirk's earlier impressions on the visit, see

User Feedback

Well, since I am banned from the SimCity 2013 thread, I'll have to put my impressions here.

It seems very positive for new gamers. You are right, Ian, we are all spoiled by all the expansions and 10 years of custom content. I hope that those who partake of this new wine won't be disappointed. I will wait until the vintage has been around for quite a while, I expect.

My main objections remain the same:

The always on-line aspect has implications of unfairness for players with poor Internet connections. It doesn't affect me, but I have a lot of sympathy for those who pay by the byte.

The apparent "social" aspect of things like leaderboards bothers me.

I am not prepared to back out to a vanilla game for improved graphics when the scale is so reduced. The penalty for the fancy graphics and a 360 degree camera with no grid, is just too high at the moment. Maybe if I get rich enough for a better box of tricks.

I also object to the high price for a game of lesser capability and the cost of having to have an Internet connection at all. There is a clear need for some people to be able to play totally off-line. So EA/Maxis has abandoned this segment. It is their market.

What sort of guarantee to they make on the life-span of this game?

How long do they plan to keep the server(s) in operation? No doubt it will depend on sales.

So good luck to them. It will be a long time if they ever get my money for another game if they will be producing all on-line product in the future.

Share this comment

1) Thanks for sharing your visiting impressions with us!

2) I fully support what A Nonny Moose wrote.

3) I don't wan't Sim City to look childish like a 'doll city' (which it still does even though some now kinda force themselves not to notice its cartoonish style).

4) I don't want to play Sim City online.

Share this comment

The high price is to pay off the upgrades made by the origin servers?

Maybe when this whole things pays out, they will release a striped done version minus the whole thing that ruins sand box series.

Well... I am anxious to see more news on Cities in Motion II.

Share this comment

Well, since I am banned from the SimCity 2013 thread, I'll have to put my impressions here.

How did you get banned?

=============

This is still a "base game". I am still hoping many of the issues here will be added in an expansion pack. There are some great additions (full 3D roads, full 3D "alive" buildings, 360* camera). And there are also some major setbacks (zoning density, save slot limits, reduced scale). It is just a matter of which ones get prioritized and which ones don't.

Anyway, I hope for the best. Thank you very much to the Maxis developers for being so kind and patient.

Share this comment

In regards to "online only," I read several months ago that EA sent down a directive to all their subsidiaries that all future EA games must have an online requirement.

In light of this, I believe Maxis is making the best out of the situation.

Share this comment

Well, good luck to them. Basically what they lose in market share from people like us, they will recoup from new clients and then some. On-line doesn't seem to bother many people, but they are probably not as concerned with privacy issues and toxic EULAs.

Share this comment

Now it seems that they're backpedaling on the "user mods" promise they made last year. There's been radio silence on it since. An "eventually" is never good.

I had a bad feeling that Dirk and Zelgadis would show up to Maxis and be fed a bunch of marketing/lies. I still think I'm right.

Share this comment