• CasperVg
    CasperVg

Maxis releases Gameplay Video

Check out the first look at gameplay as Lead Designer Stone Librande walks through the basic strategies and simulation of SimCity! SimCity is about endless choices. Ultimately you can do whatever you want, focus on growing your population, increasing wealth or even build a city that looks like your hometown. Whatever your motivation, you have to the power to experiment with a number of different strategies. How you choose to play will influence your city, the neighboring cities and the lives of all the Sims across the region.

User Feedback

So zones just can't be dragged any size, although that's not such a bad thing. Looks like they'll actually mold to the situation, note the corner ones. Saw no freeway, so despite the "not final software" disclaimer I doubt they'll make it in. If someone at Maxis could confirm, if it's a bug holding them back or if EA doesn't want freeways(when was the last freeway built in the US? I swear they've demolished more than they've built...)

Share this comment

The automatic zoning accompanies the type and shape of the road.

Just notice the difference in video between what is done where they established the resindecial and commercial than is done where the established industrial.

Share this comment

Whilst I am interested in it, it seems to be a game I'd pick up for about £10 just to try it, and forget the DLC unless I like it.

Share this comment

This look interesting, but i think it lost a lot of what made the previous sim city games, SIM CITY. It's looking slightly better than I was thinking it was, but truthfully this isn't a step up in city simulation, this is a step sideways towards sim city societies. It looks nothing like the first trailer they promoted with looked like and that actually look semi-realistic like a real city would.

It's upsetting that the region has the connections already for you and you only get one. And each city space looks small enough to be a bunch of small-medium cities but no one will have actual large cities. It's sort of sad to see that this game turned into a kids game instead of a true city simulation like sim city should have been. I have a feeling that the future Cities XL 20XX and Cities in Motion 2 will be more realistic than the original franchise Sim City.

Share this comment

Well, it was interesting. If that's the final scale it will mean that cities won't be very big.

I, too, noticed a train system make a sharp turn. A lot of technical realism seems to have taken a back seat.

The basic premise of wanting wealthy, happy Sims appears to be the only goal, but it can be achieved in many ways.

Technically, the GUI appears to be considerably improved. And the 3D needs a more thorough demonstration. I'd like to see just how free the camera is. Menus appear to be a little cluttered, but that's probably must my personal preference.

Did anyone notice that most facilities were grown and not plopped. This won't sit well with those who want to plop everything. And, of course, custom content implementaton has been put off to a later release.

Share this comment

Oh, and one more item. There was already roads and rail in the area when the demo started. Now where did they come from?

These appears to be predetermined by the game for you.

Share this comment

Those who pay some attention to realism would be nice explanation of how trains make the 90 degree bends ...

We know, we still have work to do on this tool :)

Share this comment

Well I am going to say what everyone else seems to be afraid to say and that is; "I wanted an update to SC4, with newer graphics and everything." There is so much we can do with the power at are finger tips now and you die hard SC fans know just what I am talking about?

This well meaning Maxis game is not a SC game in my opinion; it looks to me as I see more of it, like multiplayer version of Cities 20XX. Cities is a building game that is true, but it is not SC...!

*Sigh*

Share this comment

This looks like "Tropico" or "Ceaser" series atm.

Did you notice how small the region was aswell? smaller than all cities XL maps. Also it spelled town name... thats just what it is simTOWN!

The highway intersections look like &^%@&^ and the way they connected the train was rediculous but I gues thats just for funtionality at the moment. I expect the same angling as Simcity4. a 90 degree train turn would look seriously rediculous in the finished game.

I like it so far, jsut the size bothers me tremendously!! I think most of the SC fans would love the game if the scale was simply larger.

Share this comment

So zones just can't be dragged any size, although that's not such a bad thing. Looks like they'll actually mold to the situation, note the corner ones. Saw no freeway, so despite the "not final software" disclaimer I doubt they'll make it in. If someone at Maxis could confirm, if it's a bug holding them back or if EA doesn't want freeways(when was the last freeway built in the US? I swear they've demolished more than they've built...)

Well I can say they just added an extension to I-355, don't know if that counts as "new" specifically, but it is more freeway then we had before so.

Share this comment

Its really simish, and i got a feeling it will get several expansions like they do with the the sims.

I will buy it, as i just got the spare money to waste, but i can definetly say its not gona replace the time i spend on mastering my SC4 region to the fullest detail.

Share this comment

<p class='citation'>NCGAIO, on 04 October 2012 - 11:16 AM, said:</p><div class="blockquote"><div class='quote'>Those who pay some attention to realism would be nice explanation of how trains make the 90 degree bends ...

</div></div>

We know, we still have work to do on this tool :)

Oh sure ... this case will also improve the trams right ?.. already doing almost the same

It remains a curiosity about the vacant space on the menu of transportation ... options are not available or DLC plans?

Share this comment

Oh, and one more item. There was already roads and rail in the area when the demo started. Now where did they come from?

Pause the video in the region before entering the "Mayor Mode".

You will see the interconnections pre-existing cities and sites for cities (Town Names) and for large joint works. ( Great Works site) Something like maybe the airport.

Soon have to decide what your city is going to do because it depends on everything else including the location in the region.

Share this comment

I really liked what I saw here. Yes, larger cities would be nice, but gameplay is much more important and I can see myself having a lot of fun playing this :)

Share this comment

Maybe they will add in real junctions, instead of sharp turns for regional highways and rail. Even the rail joining the station had a graphical issue, although a much smaller one to deal with.

So hopefully the final software comes with more realistic connections.

Share this comment

There has been a ton of highways still being built in canada mainly in more undeveloped areas. Politicans in Ontario talk about highways from waterloo to guelph, niagara region alternative highway and etc.

Share this comment