• drevilshenchman
    drevilshenchman

Maxis doing an AMA (as me anything) on Reddit

Thursday, March 8th, the Maxis devs will be doing an AMA on Reddit to talk about the new glassbox engine and Simcity as a whole. They will be answering questions from 12:00-3:00 PST. Head over their to get your questions about the game answered!

Sign in to follow this  
    Sign in to follow this  

User Feedback

What Maxis said about SOLO GAMEPLAY:

"Yeah, like SC4, you can build out a region by yourself, and make all of the cities serially. There are lots of players who just want to control their own world, and they don’t want anybody to interfere with it. But even those solo players are going to be participating in the flow of resources that constitute the core of the games economy – the economic landscape that they’re operating in will be shaped by the actions of other players, even if they are only playing solo. In addition, there will be regional challenges and opportunities that you’ll be competing against other regions for. So you can play by yourself. More social players can play with their friends and accomplish more, faster, but that’s their choice."

Terrible!

Share this comment

And about the cartoonish style...

"We are going for a stylized look which has a mesmerizing charm about it. We are building a more accessible SimCity, one that has all the depth, the puzzle solving, the challenge that you love from the greatest city builder ever."

Hm... So, the graphics WILL BE something like in the video. Period

Terrible, terrible!

Share this comment

Map size

"The size of our new cities are roughly equivalent to the SC4 medium sized city (2 kilometers square)."

Meh...

Share this comment

lol,they didnt talk much about how the highways will be of how many lanes it can have up to, or how the Ave play its part of turning lanes and how many lanes it can have up to or even talk about bus systems to just about anything in the transit area, just curvy roads blah blah blah we got that like a million times

Share this comment

The only thing from this that really upset me was that the city sized are so small. I really thought the SC4 city sizes were a little too small. I like the region aspect, but I like having one city with 1 million people +. rather than switching between 4x250k pop cities constantly. I like having a bunch of surrounding suburbs but i like having that one, huge metropolis city.

Share this comment

They didnt talk much about others types of transportation (Rails, metro, tram, bus, ferry, etc) neither.

They definitely are making a good simulation game. I am convinced that will be nothing like Societies. Thats beautiful!

But they confirm that the game WILL be made to general public, and they are focusing on older Simcities (2000/3000), and not SC4 (too complex, aparently)

Share this comment

Well I'm really hoping @Epilef we get what we want in the transportation department cause I'm really hoping to see like 4Lane to 8Lane Highways and 4Lane to 6Lane Ave with turning lanes so u dont see cars come to a stop light and the car on the far right makes a left turn which is sooooo STUPID.. and yeah it's also good on the Rails, Metro, Tram, Bus, Ferry's and ETC too man...

Share this comment

@Epilef the game will be very moddable. Because it is 3D, you'll be able to change the lighting.

Share this comment

stamp

I know! Thats good..really good! But we will have to sit and wait until 2014 (1 year after) just to get what SC4 already had from the start? Not to mention tons of nice mods that came with time.

Thats my worries! A game with good simulation, good graphics (despite be stylized), but who lacks the features from SC4 without mods, just because it's too complex to general people.

Share this comment

croxis

Yes, are stylized! The buildings don't looks real, but emulate the aspect of reality very well

What i see is a cartoon style so far. Nothing like SC4.

Share this comment

I liked everything I read except for:

@The size of the city(medium sc4 tiles were not big enough)

@Lack of detailed zoning control(being able to zone for row houses,town houses,1+ family houses,etc)

@Resources being determined by other players

@Lack of info on mass transit options and control (Double decker highway/elevated rail,underground highways/railways,etc)

@Lack of detail of roadway options (bus Lanes,bicycle lanes,pedestrian roadways,etc).

I wont say other stuff since it was not mention so have no idea if they going to or not be included in the game.Hopefully the Maxis team will get it right.

Share this comment

I really liked the stylized look of 3000, It was not really realistic, but gave a sort of feeling that I liked. The industrial buildings were way bigger and more complex looking too giving that gritty dirty 1930's-50's kind of feel. I see simcity going in two directions from this point, one is the traditional approach that everyone of any age loves, the other is a more complex adult path that will prob have to be built by the modding community. We as the core fans really should respect that younger generations deserve to be exposed to the greatness of Simcity and not selfishly pushed aside to accomodate an aging other wise small sect of the fan base. The new Simcity is not going to be like 4, it is impossible for maxis to really top what the modding community has done, but since the new game will be modd friendly im sure many modds to change the appearance of elements such as roads and buildings can and will be implemented. Maybe sometime in the future Will Wright and EA will release Simcity 4's coding to see what we can do to it. In either case I see this community making its own city builder in the near future. Im looking foward to see what glass box does at its best.

Share this comment

Agree with SimNation! Especially the part about having to depend upon other players for anything...if there was anything to be learned from Cities XL I think it was don't force people into any kind of multi-player scenarios.

I really hope they pay attention to that...otherwise I am excited to see where this will go.

Share this comment

I love how Maxis is basing the entire game on how players actually think! The unconscious cravings of the human psyche! And not just from direct public demands..

This is the single most important thing that I've been waiting for! And in my opinion, the "secret" ingredient to the game's future success.

Share this comment

i do not need a new simcity while i'm satisfied by existing

and why we need to wait until EA will reinvent the wheel

Share this comment