• Dirktator
    Dirktator

Maxis: A SimCity Update - And something for your troubles

Here’s a quick update on the problems we were experiencing with SimCity – and a little something extra for people who bought the game.

The server issues which began at launch have improved significantly as we added more capacity. But some people are still experiencing response and stability problems that we’re working fast to address.

So what went wrong? The short answer is: a lot more people logged on than we expected. More people played and played in ways we never saw in the beta.

OK, we agree, that was dumb, but we are committed to fixing it. In the last 48 hours we increased server capacity by 120 percent. It’s working – the number of people who have gotten in and built cities has improved dramatically. The number of disrupted experiences has dropped by roughly 80 percent.

So we’re close to fixed, but not quite there. I’m hoping to post another update this weekend to let everyone know that the launch issues are behind us.

Something Special for Your Trouble

The good news is that SimCity is a solid hit in all major markets. The consensus among critics and players is that this is fundamentally a great game. But this SimCity is made to be played online, and if you can’t get a stable connection, you’re NOT having a good experience. So we’re not going to rest until we’ve fixed the remaining server issues.

And to get us back in your good graces, we’re going to offer you a free PC download game from the EA portfolio. On March 18, SimCity players who have activated their game will receive an email telling them how to redeem their free game.

I know that’s a little contrived – kind of like buying a present for a friend after you did something crummy. But we feel bad about what happened. We’re hoping you won’t stay mad and that we’ll be friends again when SimCity is running at 100 percent.

SimCity is a GREAT game and the people who made it are incredibly proud. Hang in there – we’ll be providing more updates throughout the weekend.

Source: http://www.ea.com/news/a-simcity-update-and-something-for-your-trouble

Sign in to follow this  
    Sign in to follow this  

User Feedback

:D Definitely awesome! I was actually having a pretty damned good time on the game. Not many issues on my end at the moment. However I am pretty sure this is going to have to be one of many good gestures before things iron out.

I also think its a pretty clear resounding answer that they don't want to give up the online aspect. Under any circumstances. There choice. I just hope it works out in the end.

Share this comment

So what went wrong?  The short answer is: a lot more people logged on than we expected.  More people played and played in ways we never saw in the beta.

I am not sure what Maxis is trying to say here. Does this mean they can monitor what you do? 

Scary ... 

Share this comment

lmao, dont believe a word and dont be friends again. they are stupid, people who work will want to play it over this weekend as they have work on monday and I bet you that come monday all hell will brake loose again.

They made a game what many people cant even play, its like that Justin Bieber gigg he did, turn up 1 hour late, sing a few songs then go and the fans are left unimpressed while the parents feel ripped off. The simcity fans so it seems are left unimpressed and eel ripped off!

Share this comment

LOL Maxi spin doctors at work. They reckon the game is a solid hit i doubt it though. This game will be a flop.

Share this comment

The consensus amongst players is that this is a great game?? Seriously... Even when you take away all the troubles with the servers, the online play leaves still a lot to be desired (read: taken away...)

But at least they're trying to repair some damage. Bad thing is: You can't make negativity disappear. The memories remain.

Share this comment

People who bought SimCity want to play SimCity, not some other game. Although it's a nice gesture, I don't see how it's going to achieve anything. It's just a last-ditch attempt to restore customer faith. If the game isn't promptly fixed, this ain't going to work.

Share this comment

they are so desperate to do ANYTHING except fix the always-online requirement.  Here's the only answer that people should settle for:  "We are hard at work to code an offline mode."

Share this comment

Standard business practice for EA is first to blame the players, then the players computers, then request a reinstallation and finally offer bribes.

This is a little different as it's an online game, but the principle is the same.

Share this comment

Pff, right, if they really cared about us and our concerns, they would have listened to us in the first place, and had a meeting where they all sit around their big, boardroom table with furrowed brows looking at all our comments regarding their draconian always-online nonsense and said to each other, "You know, maybe we're doing something that they don't really like.  We should probably re-think this."

I bought my last Madden and NCAA Football game years ago.  heck, since they turned off the servers to the games I was still playing, I'm probably gonna go back and re-buy a used PS2 and just play the older games.  They're the same anyways!  I will not buy this and join the fiasco.  If a game says "EA" on it somewhere, consider me a lost customer.  That's something, coming from me.  I've stood up for the company in the past in these very forums.

But we feel bad about what happened.

Yup, you feel bad about all the other potential customers who watched this disaster unfold and close their wallets up tight, just like me, not to mention all those who felt so slighted they demanded their money back.

Share this comment

So, the only reason for this catastrophy is that people who bought the game did want to play it?

I'm speechless. That "reasoning" is beyond the levels of stupidity I would expect from those people. The situation is even worse than I thought. Those at Maxis who sincerely believe the words they've said in that update above, should be fired immediately.

Share this comment

They will probably only allow SimCity players to choose their free game from a selection EA chooses (all games worth $1 to $2). They should really ditch the forced DRM instead, that could bring them in so much more money...

Share this comment

kind of like buying a present for a friend after you did something crummy.

Or the abusive spouse buying jewellery after smashing your face in...

Share this comment

Well, to me, it's a measure, and whatever you might think, they are trying to do right by us. I'll take a free game!

I met Lucy on a couple of occasions, she came across as very genuine, and I really like the tone of what she wrote. I'm still pissed I can't play the game when I want to. But I feel "okayer" that she's acknowledged some of their fumbles.

Share this comment

For me it's not even in the realm of SimCity but in the whole video game business: games aren't as interesting as they used to be and companies, like EA, amongst others, are forcing online content. I just want a game that I can sit down and play for an hour or all day if I want too; I don't want to update my Facebook status in-game or be forced to play with others. My apologies if this sounds to radical of a stance, but I'm actually asking for less not more.

Share this comment

we’re going to offer you a free PC download game from the EA portfolio

Yeah, and I bet Sims 3 will be among those games. It's worth $30 by itself but if you get hooked on it, there are about $400 of expansion packs or DLCs out there for it. Probably the same for a lot of other EA titles.

So in the end, it's like a drug dealer offering some free addictive drugs of a different type because their big initial delivery of the type that people wanted didn't have the quality they promised it would have.

Yeah right. Basically they still want to squeeze out some extra profit even from this disaster of a launch while the only honest offer would have been to give people a refund.

Share this comment

"The number of disrupted experiences has dropped by roughly 80 percent."

What was it at to start with? 80% of a thousand disrupted experiences is great, 80% of a million disrupted responses: not so great.

For me it's not even in the realm of SimCity but in the whole video game business: games aren't as interesting as they used to be and companies, like EA, amongst others, are forcing online content. I just want a game that I can sit down and play for an hour or all day if I want too; I don't want to update my Facebook status in-game or be forced to play with others. My apologies if this sounds to radical of a stance, but I'm actually asking for less not more.

Exactly, it should be able to be both Solitary City and Social City. They shouldn't just foist social on us and say " you will play it and you will like it", there should be options to play offline. That could have saved EA server grief this week becuase many would have played it offline. Hope you're on Simtropolis and reading these EA.

Share this comment

Well, to me, it's a measure, and whatever you might think, they are trying to do right by us. I'll take a free game!

I met Lucy on a couple of occasions, she came across as very genuine, and I really like the tone of what she wrote. I'm still pissed I can't play the game when I want to. But I feel "okayer" that she's acknowledged some of their fumbles.

I guess she is as "genuine" when she advocates the 'always online' and the castrated 'SimCity2013'?

People who perfectly know why 'always online' is no good for consumers and yet willingly agree to advocate that, are already liars, a priori and de facto. The rest depends on their ability of lying to your face and artfully pretend being "genuine".

Share this comment