• Dirktator
    Dirktator

EA Working On Unannounced 'Maxis Style Sim Game'

The Sims and Sim City could soon be joined by a new spin-off IP from Maxis and EA according to CVs uncovered by online super-sleuth Superannuation.

The LinkedIn pages of UK EA devs Micha Noordegraaf (VFX Artist) and Lead User Interface Designer Kim Hughes mention both an "unannounced game in collaboration with the EA Maxis Studio in California" and work on an "a new unannounced Maxis IP" respectively.

Meanwhile, the online CV of CG supervisor Matthew Thomson also makes reference to a "Maxis Style Sim Game PC (Currently unannounced)".

Sign in to follow this  
    Sign in to follow this  

User Feedback

Sounds like it is the closest we've come to SC5, but by reading the part in the article where they write "Is Will Wright set for a dramatic return to Maxis? Probably not on that last one" is making me feel like another just Sims game is coming. Anyway, I hope this is the start of SC5.

Share this comment

More The Sims stuff, I highly doubt they would create a Simcity game because they would only make it for the casual gamers, not the hardcore fans (the niche). Even if EA did release another Simcity, I doubt it would beat SC4 after the disaster of SC:S.

Share this comment

If I am not mistaking Will Wright was really that involved in SC4 anyway so that part about him does not mean anything whatsoever. I am not really hoping for anything here but I'll refrain from being negative as some others are.

Share this comment

Actually, The Sims has its own studio and isn't connected with Maxis at all any more, hasn't been since Sims 2 Seasons or Bon Voyage, and even then it was logo form only.

Since it's a "new IP", I wouldn't keep my hopes up for an SC5. That wouldn't be a new IP, that'd be a new iteration of an old IP.

Share this comment

If they want to make a successful Sim City sequel, the best thing they could do would be to have this very community help develop it. In fact, it would make the job a lot easier on the EA staff. Let the top BATters create the 3D models, let the NAM team work on interchange design, road/highway textures tec.

Share this comment

There's nothing in the article that says this will be a new SimCity game at all; for all we know, this could be a game along the lines of Spore :P

I'd much rather trust Buggi's SimCity V: Boomtown, as that has a much higher probability of being a true SimCity 5.

Share this comment

With them simultaneously developing a Facebook SimCity, I have no faith that it will resemble the SimCity we know and love.

After the great change of Spore, I have no doubt it's something stupid and cartoonish...and Spore was a financial success, wasn't it?

Share this comment

The Sims and SimCity joined would not be a new SimCity but a new TheSims game. What could it be ? TheSims : Mayor where you play the role of a mayor ? That would not be Simcity, because that would not be a city builder : in SimCity the mayor is not a realistic character ; there are no elections, you can live as long as your city, and so on, and finally this is better this way... in fact you don't embody your character but your city... that's all a concept and that would be really a shame to change this, don't you think ?

Share this comment

I'm doubtful about EA now. they screwed up a lot of games that are dear to me. They ruined SimCity with the release of Societies. They made Red Alert horrible with its third installment. Heck! Battlefield 3 would be better off without Origin DRM as I don't see why it's needed as it's just looks like an extra step.

In terms of gaming as a whole, I fear that the future won't be as exciting as before, with the 'mainstreaming' of games to attract a larger audience (Particularly the console audience). EA's take on mainstreaming games was SimCity Societies and look where that went. Monte Cristo's CXL with its MMO scheme and look what happened to the studio. Look at what Microsoft is doing with the Flight Simulator franchise! I've been hearing rumors that they won't include third party support. I mean seriously, what am I going to do flying in and around Hawaii? Imagine a Flight Simulator without add-ons except for those released by the studio. If I didn't know any better, that sounds like a COD-like map pack. Now, imagine a new SimCity game without add-ons except those released by the studio. I do believe this is a likely scenario as it would seem an increasing number of mainstream games are trending towards this.

Seriously, this could be slow fall of thoughtful games and the beginning of games being dumbed down, which I believe has started for a while now.

Share this comment

The next try on stabbing the SC4 series. EA does not want to see the series dead, it wants to see the series deader than dead. And if this status is reached, they will continue stabbing.

Share this comment