• Dirktator
    Dirktator

EA disables 'non-critical' SimCity gameplay features to address server issues

SimCity developer Maxis is applying an update to the game that will disable "non-critical" features including leaderboards and achievements, in an effort to address the continuing server problems, the studio announced today.

"We are in the process of deploying a hotfix to all servers," said a Maxis community manager in a post on the EA Forums. "This includes various improvements and also disables a few non-critical gameplay features (leaderboards, achievements and region filters).

"Disabling these features will in no way affect your core gameplay experience," the community manager added. "Getting you playing is our absolute highest priority."

Maxis has not provided any timetable for restoring the disabled features.

Source: http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/0/9341242.page

Sign in to follow this  
    Sign in to follow this  

User Feedback

Maybe they have, but I still can't get into the game, regardless of what server I choose.  What a heaping pile of...

Share this comment

I was able to play for over two hours; got message every now and then it lost connection and was trying to reconnect. But I could play.. Then I went to one of my other cities; and boy; was that a mistake. Got kicked out; now I'm in a queue again... I really hope they address these server issues soon; it is frustrating to see all servers busy.

Share this comment

All the SimCity servers are up and running flawlessly. What happened? EA disabled virtually all online features to get the game to actually work. Virtually every online aspect is turned off.

So it's now essentially a FORCED SINGLE PLAYER MODE IN AN ONLINE-ONLY GAME.

Good job EA. Let's see you reason out of this one.

Share this comment

"few non-critical gameplay features (leaderboards, achievements..."

Non-critical for now ? Few articles back, they claim that leaderboards and achievements are absolutely essential for gameplay and game without it is boring...

Share this comment

What a joke. I'd rather buy the Sims 3 University Expansion Pack tomorrow, which will most likely just end up on the shelf like all the others, instead of wasting money on this nonsense.

Share this comment

"few non-critical gameplay features (leaderboards, achievements..."

Non-critical for now ? Few articles back, they claim that leaderboards and achievements are absolutely essential for gameplay and game without it is boring...

hahaha - excellent point!  Without the online-only thing, I would actually be able to play the game.  I imagine playing the game without all that online BS would be a lot less boring than not being able to play it at all.  

Share this comment

Personally I understand the issues. I want the online features and the game in general. This however I have to admit is pretty damned bad. I was able to play pretty damned well up until just a minute ago. Then poof. Nothing, I cant even get logged in. Lol the joys of online games. I guess Im used to it. Nothing can match the horrors of the release of Anarchy Online.

Share this comment

So, since Maxis reads these boards, when will they publicly admit that they were wrong and we were right and when will they make the game the way it should be? Ofline, with more CITY (= not village)building features

Share this comment

lol totally insane.

yup.  Here's a clue:  don't make people who couldn't give a rip about multiplayer have to log on to a server to play and voila!  your server issues are fixed.

Share this comment

'In response to the launch day trouble Hatam said " If you regrettably feel that we left you down, you can of course request a refund for your order at http://help.origin.com/contact-us , though we are currently still in the process of resolving this issue. "'

After waiting hours, so far, to speak with a helpful hindu, I wish it was my heart that was bleeding. Unfortunately the part so afflicted is somewhat south. Give me my money (and self-respect) back.

Share this comment

Such EXTREME Irony: 

BEFORE: 

Some months ago they told us about how FUN the leaderboards and online challenges were. They told us that this was one of the big reasons why the game needed to be always - online. They defended the necessity to be online and even their Vice President made a write up on it. 

NOW:

They disabled the online stuff. People are forced to be on the internet for a 100% online game that has zero online stuff. 

Seriously EA, I dare you to argue and reason your way out of this. 

300px-Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_st

Share this comment

'In response to the launch day trouble Hatam said " If you regrettably feel that we left you down, you can of course request a refund for your order at http://help.origin.com/contact-us , though we are currently still in the process of resolving this issue. "'

After waiting hours, so far, to speak with a helpful hindu, I wish it was my heart that was bleeding. Unfortunately the part so afflicted is somewhat south. Give me my money (and self-respect) back.

Well, if you read closely, you'll see that this guy didn't actually say that they would _give_ you a refund. He just said that you could _request_ one. Fine difference.

Secondly, the statement from this guy was apparently removed by now and replaced with one that simply tells people to read the Origin refund policy, in which it basically says that you pretty much can't get a refund.

I can only feel sorry for you to a degree since the only rational thing to do with this game would have been to simply not buy it in the first place. There have been enough warnings from people here on the forum that things like this would likely happen.

Share this comment