• Haljackey
    Haljackey

DLC-For-Charity: Partnership Between EA and Red Cross

“Our creative partnership with EA will inform players of the key services that the Red Cross provides during real world disasters. This will bring the Red Cross mission to the public and consumers in an exciting and interactive way while raising funds to support the work of the Red Cross to provide humanitarian services around the world where it is needed most.”

-- Neal Litvack, Chief Development Officer of the American Red Cross.

*Participating Red Cross National Societies are The American Red Cross, The British Red Cross, The Danish Red Cross, The Finnish Red Cross, The French Red Cross, The German Red Cross, The Italian Red Cross, The Norwegian Red Cross, The Spanish Red Cross, and The Swedish Red Cross.

** EA’s agreement with the Red Cross gives the participating National Societies a minimum of eighty percent (80%) of EA’s proceeds (less applicable taxes) from all sales of this new in-game Red Cross branded content during the promotion.

Sign in to follow this  
    Sign in to follow this  

User Feedback

Seems a lot simpler to give $10 to the Red Cross directly.  You should get a tax receipt.

I have, and do.

If EA wants to do this for charity, then just do it. Taking a cut like this is just pain wrong and ruins the whole point. Don't they make enough already?

Share this comment

Companies seem to have lost all scruples to make a few bucks.

As has been said before if anyone is interested in donating then do so directly.

"After recouping our development costs, the remaining ** proceeds will go to the Red Cross to help support Their Work across the globe."

Just imagine what will have been the cost to develop this small batch and change some characteristics of the simulation ???

All this is just ridiculous!

Share this comment

Flat tents... poorly textured (SUVs?)... I am not sure weather to even describe it. Perhaps I should donate the full price of the game ($140-+) and get over it.

Share this comment

EA's not even trying anymore. The last game they completely finished was The Simpsons Game, and that's considering that they had to cut out half of one level following a complaint from Rockstar and 3-4 other levels. Maybe they should've included a Touhou reference...

Share this comment

If I were a member of the Red Cross I'll rather not have the money.

The Red Cross does fantastic work and any amount of funding they get helps them do good all over the world. If I were them I'd take it.

Share this comment

If I were a member of the Red Cross I'll rather not have the money.

Wrong!  Any money for the Red Cross/Red Crescent organization is good no matter what the source.

Share this comment

I'm getting very tired of the bias against EA and Maxis that has been displayed on Simtropolis lately. There are plenty of good things about this DLC but the headline is the one thing that might be construed as negative if you're already biased against SimCity 2013?

Share this comment

Looks like they're going to get at least 100k out of this deal, not too shabby: http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2013/09/19/ea-using-simcity-dlc-to-donate-at-least-100000-to-red-cross-this-year/

There are plenty of good things about this DLC but the headline is the one thing that might be construed as negative if you're already biased against SimCity 2013?

No argument there, but the news section isn't a place to advertise DLC, but rather create discussion.

Share this comment

I'm getting very tired of the bias against EA and Maxis that has been displayed on Simtropolis lately. There are plenty of good things about this DLC but the headline is the one thing that might be construed as negative if you're already biased against SimCity 2013?

I'm inclined to agree. People are free to feel whatever they like of course but I really can't find anything to complain about here. The DLC is optional and the red cross gets a minimum of $100,000 from EA.

Share this comment

I'm inclined to agree. People are free to feel whatever they like of course but I really can't find anything to complain about here. The DLC is optional and the red cross gets a minimum of $100,000 from EA.

People are just bugged by the direction EA is taking with every game they produce. They practically ruined the SimCity series singlehandedly. Endless expenses on over-priced DLC, incomplete games, lack of detail and regards for customers. Alone, this is charity, why take a 20% cut from it? They make enough money from ripping off their customers alone. EA and Maxis are just not painting a great reputation, and they brought it upon themselves with the decision they've taken with all these games that people have come to enjoy. These days, I just don't see any reason to give EA any endorsement.

They can't even do charity right.

Share this comment

Seems a lot simpler to give $10 to the Red Cross directly.  You should get a tax receipt.

I have, and do.

If EA wants to do this for charity, then just do it. Taking a cut like this is just pain wrong and ruins the whole point. Don't they make enough already?

EA never makes enough. Soon they will release DLCs for DLCs.

Share this comment

I hate to say it, but it kinda feels as though EA is using the red cross to make some money.  If that was indeed the case it is rather dirty of them to do so.  Being the red cross though, Even if they are being used, it would still benefit them greatly so I see no reason for them to turn it down, but rather filthy on EA's part.  I agree, if they are going to do this, they should give ALL the proceeds to the Red cross.

I mean, there is no doubt in my mind that they have software to help them create additional buildings for the game, additionally they have experts in their field working on it too.  I imagine that something like this could take around 20-30 minutes for someone in their development department to create and implement.  probably using already existing textures and props, and sorry to say, that building does not look that difficult to model.  What I am trying to say, it cost them what, 5 dollars to make, including labor? then as DLC they don;t have to worry about shipping and handling or packaging...This totally looks like a gimmick.  They should give all proceeds to the Red Cross.

If there were video game police, I would call them on EA for fraud right here.

After Mass Effect 2, I swore off of EA.  Still holding strong to this day.  SC4 is the only remaining thing I have from the days when I was still a fan of EA, I prefer to remember EA for the good they did back in the day as opposed tot he gigantic greed machine they are today.  R.I.P. EA(they are dead to me even if they are not dead to you)

If I was EA/Maxis, I sell this for $5.00 a pop and give ALL proceeds to the Red Cross.  Anything else would make me feel like a dirtbag criminal.

Anyone hear of a development kit for the new Simcity?  LOL

Share this comment

I still can't believe this is the direction Maxis took their game. The DLC isn't even worth the price. Either this is charity with a bit of robbery or Robbery for a good cause ;).

Share this comment