• Monster's Cat
    Monster's Cat

Cool looking city: Rock "n" Residential

Society has always pondered tough, philosophical questions: Which came first, the chicken or the egg? Do dinosaurs really exist? If a tree falls in the forest, would anyone hear it (and moreover, would anyone care to pick it up?)? We here at Maxis, however, only care about one particularly chin-rubbing query: Can a city really be built on rock 'n' roll?

Well, thanks to Associate Designer Chris Schmidt, it sounds like the answer to that question is an ear-splitting, “Yes!” Chris recently took his creativity to 11 when he built this guitar-shaped city (and accompanying amp) using SimCity’s new curvy road tool. Like we showcased with our past Cool Looking City, part of the fun of playing the new SimCity is not only building (or destroying) the city of your dreams, but also using the in-game tools to create fully functional metropolitan works of art.

Of course, while this design may look rad, it certainly ain’t practical – since Chris built all of his commercial zoning up the “fret board” of the city, he ended up creating a massive traffic jam for all his Sims trying to visit stores and restaurants. But if you think about, traffic and rock 'n' roll concerts go bumper-to-bumper, so it almost makes sense. Almost. Do admire the creative touches, though, like the six water towers signifying each tuner. Pretty cool, eh?

Because we think his city rocks, we spoke with Chris to find out more about it.

Community Manager Michael Donahoe: What was the inspiration for building this city?

Associate Designer Chris Schmidt: Well, our Producer Tyler Thompson told me I should try making some different city layouts, because classically with SimCity, I make a grid-based city since it is the most efficient. So I was thinking about weird ways to build a city and the Internet radio station I was listening to just so happened to put on Starship’s “We Built This City.” Next thing I knew, I was making a guitar-shaped city. [laughs]

MD: Theoretically, what are the chances of us seeing a rock 'n' roll-themed restaurant and/or hotel appear in your city?

CS: Actually, my city is more industrial, because I’m focusing more on mining and metals.

MD: What kind of music do you think fits this city?

CS: Since I was trying to design my city like a classic Fender Stratocaster, I’d say a little classic rock. Maybe a little bit of metal.

MD: What’s next? A Drum City? Trombone City? Bagpipe City?

CS: Really, I just focus on crazy designs. I did a zen city, which is a yin yang. I made a city out of the phrase “Curvy Roads,” just to see if I could make it work. I don’t know what’s next. Whatever inspires me.

MD: Do tell us: Is this city really built on rock-n-roll?

CS: Well, I do spend most of my time listening to classic rock while I’m playing, so perhaps it is!

User Feedback

I wonder if next will he create the paradise city too? You know, that one city where the grass is green and the girls are pretty.

Share this comment

This design had been revealed just shortly after the R2D2 city so this is hardly new news along with the essence of this news had already been revealed with the R2D2 city post. I've got to be honest and say they could do a lot better than this. Why isn't there better? Maybe the game is still too incomplete to play? Maybe it's not that fun to play past working on it? Maybe they are playing it and it would reveal too much to show those pics?

Some things I noted about the picture:

-Three road types. 4-lane avenue, 2-lane street, and single lane road.

-The "curvy" roads look completely free hand. No line tools for bending?

-I also noticed he had a traffic jam in the fret board area possibly due to no way to turn around on the avenue other than to drive to the ends. Need some cross overs and that should fix the traffic jam. But that traffic jam looks very weird for such a low density in population. I wonder how this unrealistic effect will be handled before release?

-The lots are only go so deep away from the road. It looks like the only lot variation is residential tho I can't confirm that either as I don't know what a lot looks like in this game. It's possible that the variation only looks like variation due to them trying to hide property or lot lines.

-Especially in the fret area you can see how the housing is deforming the landscape so there isn't a slope to be built on. Behind the city hall(?) you can really see where the land is deformed by the buildings lot.

-The service buildings like city hall(?) are built in the middle of the city. Does that mean they radiate an area of effect and don't use the agent network?

Share this comment

It is increasingly clear that the intention of the EA is to expand the target audience of the game

Robots. guitar, maybe a little train soon after? To say this is to demonstrate flexibility is to treat everyone how naive!

Unfortunately the Target Simcity seems to be the same as the little brother of Face ... fall after the release.

Share this comment

Yeah...so...you could probably do something like this in SC4 too. Is this suppose to be interesting??? How about a cool waterfall, coastal area/port, customized airport, argicultural area or realistic highway....oh wait thats right none of those are included are they!

To summarize: Faceplam x1,000,000

Share this comment

I think it's quite obvious one of the main purposes of showing off these cities is to show off the curvy roads tool and how much potential there is with it. If you don't like these blog posts then don't read them and stop complaining.

Share this comment

I think it's quite obvious one of the main purposes of showing off these cities is to show off the curvy roads tool and how much potential there is with it. If you don't like these blog posts then don't read them and stop complaining.

But these are nothing no nor are they the thing anyone will buy the game for. We want to see a real city, not a B- grade art project.

Share this comment

@jacksunny

I think it's quite obvious that of the main purposes of people complaining is because they're genuinely unhappy with what's being shown. If you don't like these posts then don't read them and stop complaining yourself you hypocrite.

Share this comment

Actually I think the main purpose of the EA post is to try and distract serious fans from the fact that the new SimCity is more like Societies than it is like SC4 or any of the SC versions that came before.

My question: "Does Maxis no longer employ people who like any form of realism?"

In SC4 creativity extended far beyond what is displayed here or in any of the other posts by EA/Maxis.

P.S. This is my personal opinion and thoughts so please save the flames. ;)

Share this comment

Not gonna make me buy it unless EA offer the British City Set to UK residents for no added cost. I live in bloody Britain why should I have to pay more?

Share this comment

I want to see a normal realistic city. Thats why i play simcity 4, because of the realism. I didn't make guitar and robot figure shaped cities. Are they only targeting people with a lower IQ than 50?

Share this comment

Not gonna make me buy it unless EA offer the British City Set to UK residents for no added cost. I live in bloody Britain why should I have to pay more?

shipment costs maybe?

Share this comment

First off this blog is garbage, I feel dumber from reading it. Secondly if they do dumb stuff like this then make it good. Does anyone remember the awesome dragon landscapes someone made in cities XL?

Share this comment