• GeneralEtrius
    GeneralEtrius

CitiesXL 2012 Announced, Modding Support Among New Features

The next installment in the CitiesXL franchise, CitiesXL 2012, has been announced. The game is set to feature over 1000 structures and 60 playable maps, and will be more mod-friendly than previous editions. It scheduled for an October 2011 release.

Sign in to follow this  
    Sign in to follow this  

User Feedback

At least they are making a attempt and a commitment to keep making building simulations. EA abandon the sim when SCS was a failure. XL might not be a Sim City but it is as good as you going to get right now. Since no one else is making a sim.

Share this comment

Oh, look, another try to finally stab CXL. Seems like the game isn't dying fast enough for focus. Looking at the featurelist provides you the information that there isn't something new to a modded CXL 2011 or 2009.

Share this comment

Just so people know, FHE will be giving a discount to people who bought XL 2011, so yes it will be like an expansion for those who have 2011. At least Focus seems to care about this series and its customers. EA would offer no discount, making this series somewhat like Madden. Half the features would be broken anyway if EA made it. :lol:

On a more positive note, CXL 2012 has hinted at some modding tools on their site, including something like the BAT tool. If it's compatible with 3DS Max (or whatever the good BAT teams use), we could be seeing our SC4 favorites in HD! :golly:

Share this comment

ok so cxl11 was an expansion to clx as it was sold at discount to cxl holders... now cxl12 will be treated exactly the same, sold at discount for those who have cxl11.

doesn't this make it an expansion to an expansion?? just asking...

As for the modding and the (hopefully) 3ds max compatible bat-a-like tool, maybe I should keep the euphoria down here a little. of course, if thats true, we can put all our beloved sc4 bats into cxl (if the creators still have the originals that is), but keep in mind that this couldn't be done at 1:1 ratio for perfomance's sake as most bats are simply too detailed to be rendered in a citywide environment in TRUE 3d (unlike in sc4 where it's, long story short, a picture of a complex shape placed upon a far less complex shape thanks to the fixed viewpoints. so batters would have to drastically reduce details and I guess this would do more harm than good... unfortunately.

Share this comment

*ahem* not to mention that most SimCity 4 buildings are horribly and irreparably overscale so they don't look weird in-game.

Share this comment

I model to scale, with a vertical adjustment for visual reasons. That is what most people do, so reversing it is easy. What isn't easy is making a 3D friendly shell for your building and mapping the high quality elevation renders on it. Imagine a moderately detailed LOD, then (instead of using your building's actual geometry) you use that LOD as your model and paste a texture of the entire building over it (no individual materials).

Bixel has been experimenting on the topic since this game was originally announced. It really isn't as user friendly as the BAT tool is (as funny as that may sound). Over-detailed, under-simplified models can actually severely cripple the performance of the game. The application may need a volume to polygon ratio cap, since a beginner going overboard does not seem unreasonable.

We'll see how this pans out.

Share this comment

Well, since this is second generation, this time I probably will fork out the loot for it. I need a break from all the screaming about SC4 not being in 3D. Who knows, maybe I'll get to use some of the neat features of my Radion system now.

Share this comment

Hey look...an expansion pack, whoops, I mean new game. But doesn't it look exactly the same and is going to be released in less than a year. How much can you get done in a year? Nothing. And EA FORCED Maxis to abandon SimCity to work on the Sims franchise, so please, stop taking stabs at SimCity.

Share this comment

Jetstone: Yo dawg, I herd you like expansion packs. So we put an expansion pack in your expansion pac... oh forget it.

Share this comment

People who complain about Focus bringing out CXL 2012. Need to realize that Focus isn't EA and doesn't have the resources or the cash flow to develop a totally new game which may take 3 years to make.

Share this comment

I'm willing to try CXL 2012, but I'm not going to give up playing SC4. Simcity 4 has the Region tool, where you are able to create interconnected cities. If CXL had that, I would be more inclined to purchase it. But I don't see that happening. SC4 will still rule supreme in my mind.

Share this comment