• Dirktator
    Dirktator

Cities: Skyline is out to satisfy where SimCity couldn't

There's something of a size mismatch happening here. Colossal Order tells me it can give its players 36 square kilometres of space to build their cities in, 36 square kilometres in which they can expand and enlarge, spread and sprawl. That's enough space for suburbs, commuter towns and even arable land. In contrast, last year's SimCity only provided a couple of square kilometres and, in spite of the efforts of all the pages of team members listed in its credits (a number possibly higher if you consider that credits often only list staff present when a title ships), what happened within those city limits didn't always make sense. Colossal Order is confident it can make a larger, more coherent and more customisable city-building game with, well... nine people.

Source: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-09-04-cities-skyline-is-out-to-satisfy-where-simcity-couldnt

Sign in to follow this  
    Sign in to follow this  

User Feedback

From what the devs have said (its somewhere in the paradox forum or reddit ima) you start with a 2x2 km plot and acquire more 2x2 km plots to expand your city (not said how yet)

Share this comment

" Karoliina Korppoo says that the game's realistic water simulation does mean sadistic players could potentially find ways to flood their cities, "And will enjoy trying."

Yes. Yes we will. Muhahahahahahahaha!

Share this comment

36 km sq is pretty good to me, that's like a Manhattan squared, I want something large like a Queens, Chicago or Los Angeles. I hope there's a way you can make the city limits grow, in real life towns use annexation on land that is not part of a town to grow, having this feature will surely get rid map size limitation I would say. It would also be cool to have a drawing tool to draw the boarders of the land your annexing and would be great to look at the annexation of your city on a time map to see your expansion.  :)

http://www.smartcitymemphis.com/wp-content/uploads/cityannexation26.jpg

Share this comment

Holy hell this is amazing. I REALLY hope everything they've said in this article will happen. Everything they talk about seems a little much for a team of 9, but if they pull this off well, I think we all have found a beautiful 3D replacement for SimCity 4 (not even gonna mention the new one).

Share this comment

Not-SimCity releases that are a better SimCity than the actual latest SimCity release? What has this world become!?

I just keep an eye on this to see where this game is heading to ;)

Share this comment

all cities reach borders usually blocked by neighbouring cities, it is only when they amalgamate do you get a larger city.  

Share this comment

36 Sq.Km?  That's 6 x 6.  An improvement over SC4's 4 x 4 and considering today's gear, quite reasonable.  It is a little bothersome in that 6 is not a power of 2, but I guess that really doesn't matter, eh?

I don't seem to have seen a release date?

Share this comment

If I recall correctly, the AMA did mention the fact the players can unlock the size limitation of the map. Although 36km is relatively huge...(after sadistic EA/Maxis forced us to play with less), the AMA did mention that players CAN EXPAND further than the default but under the risk of performance issues.

Sure, they gave us the options, and we should understand there is a risk. I think that move was brilliant, exactly as I desired. The map size (extra) will literary depend on your relative PC strength, but all other players should be able to play on default 36km with no problems.

Anticipating this game, although I never played the Cities in Motion series. The fact that it's made by a small yet passionate developers easily portrays their direction and will...and I'm definately confident the game will deliver.

Share this comment

6x6 should be a pretty nice size to play for sure! I always enjoyed making cities connect to each other though in sim city 4. Really gives the game a sense of continuity. I hope they have regions. Either way I'm pumped!

Share this comment

Extending beyond 6 x 6 may be entirely possible depending on how the game is implemented.  If it is a full 64-bit (gasp, 128-bit) space with proper segmentation and pagination, there may be no real limit to area other than the amount of swap space.  This will be a limitation of the operating system rather than the game.

Swap space is currently, AFAIK, limited to a single file in Windoze, when it could be implemented in a different way in Threshold (Windows 9).  For example, if the swap space (backing store) was a partition, then it becomes a matter of how much the user wants to set up.

This is the case on Linux and I have a swap partition that is 20 GB.  Further, Linux allows more than one swap partition, so it is limited really only to the amount of on-line (rotating) storage.

Early reports seem to indicate that Threshold will be a new ball of wax and that all the restrictions of NT and NTFS may be gone.  Let us truly hope so.  Cross fingers and pray that Threshold will not be Windows NT 6.3 or NT 7.0.

Share this comment

I don't seem to have seen a release date?

It says in the full article sometime first or second quarter 2015. Really stoked for this, but I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens.

Share this comment

I get more excited about this game the more I read about it.  I hope it will live up to the expectations.  This might actually replace SC4 for me (I know, I know, blasphemy).  Whatever it is like, it will definitely be better than SC2013.

Share this comment

Shams Jorjani in a recent Reddit AMA: "Thankfully advances in technology have enabled us to do all city management calculations locally on your PC. We don't have to do them in the cloud any more which, you know, was the ONLY way to do it a few years ago."

article-0-16B8D245000005DC-757_634x544.j

Share this comment

Cloud computing?  Is that a reality?  I've always believed that the cloud was data only.

That was PR nonsense from the Sim City (2013) team. You and I both know how that backfired on them. You should never lie to your customers.

Share this comment

Cloud computing?  Is that a reality?  I've always believed that the cloud was data only.

That was PR nonsense from the Sim City (2013) team. You and I both know how that backfired on them. You should never lie to your customers.

Yeah.  I never use the cloud idea very much.  I have a couple of files on Dropbox but that's it.

For the cloud to compute it would have to be programmable, and that opens a gas regulator full of worms.

Share this comment