• Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

About this City Journal

In this city journal, I want to fill the huge SC2013 hole. There need to be more SC2013 journals!

Entries in this City Journal

john316316

Disaster!

Disaster!

-john316316

May 9, 2015

This is 10 News here in Fort Trooper. Everyone, run to your mothers! The city is in ruins! A giant robot is rampaging the— [crunch]

Citizens scream. Everyone runs for their homes and the Red Cross center. Cars zoom on the wrong side of the road trying to get to the highway and to safety in Fixer. Police sirens blare. Fire engines zoom up the road, frantically shooting the fires away. Ambulances rush to the rescue. The trash men are doing absolutely nothing. And this was just one of the many disasters in Fort Trooper.

Once before, meteors rained down on the city, burning it completely. Mostly residents in Fixer saw the damage. But today, 1140 News is highlighting what people in Clone Point thought of the Fort Trooper disasters.

We talked to two of them: John Sim and Tim City.

"It was, like, the middle of the night," said a John Sim. He originally moved from New Dork with his fourteen children."We were having an awesome party with lots of coffee to keep us up. Then one of us looked out the window and saw this bright thing falling out of the sky. This one kid started screaming and no one could stop him. It landed on the city and the explosion probably reached to that Fixer town. Maybe it destroyed that horrible Maxis Man statue."

Tim City said, "This one day, this huge blue ball fell out of the sky and landed on that Academy. Then it was a robot and it stuck its hand into the building and just started eating power and all the cities ran out of power and my TV shut off. Then I sat down and sobbed."

nnGypN9.png

aUczHDy.png

Our reporter asked if it was because of the deaths and destruction.

"No," said City, "It was because my TV shut off."

Well, I suppose we should have asked residents of Fixer. In related news, the residents of Fixer have blown up the MaxisMan statue, resulting in one death: the death of MaxisMan's statue.

sRDjkKe.png

Find us on the radio for "No Things Considered", weekdays at 4:00 PM on WFIX 89.5 FM in Fixer, and weekdays at 5:00 PM and 6:00 PM on WDEL 100.1 FM in Delta1140.

This presentation has been brought to you by:

The Town Of Fixer. Please No Electronic Farts.

Hevy® Cars. Find New Toads.

and Mia® Cars. The Power To Surmise.

This is 1140 News, the official reporting station of Fixer and Delta1140.

zMm0WXAm.png

john316316

My Thoughts on Cities: Skylines and a Little Competition

by john316316

April 29, 2015

Cities: Skylines looks awesome. The gameplay videos are amazing. The graphics are cool. There don't seem to be any startup issues.

But what do I know?

I looked it up (because it would be fun to play it sometime).

The thing says "needs 3.0 GHz to run"!

What? I have a brand-new computer and it only has 2.2 GHz. So I'm wondering:

Seriously? Does it really need that? Comments are welcome.

Another issue I have with it is the number of doughnut vans. But that is disputable.

Time for competition. I want to see the best SC2013 pics of your absolute best cities. The three best will be posted after my Clone Gardens post.

I promise you, Clone Gardens is next.

john316316

The Cloned Region

Entry 6: The Cloned Region

by john316316

April 27, 2015

BV6gGmu.jpg

Clone Shores (blue filter on Photos app)

So I thought, "Why waste my time writing this big huge article for Fi when I could write an awesome article about the entire region! So this is my "bulk" entry. I'll do each city with as many pictures I can possibly add within an hour.

City 1: Clone Point

Stats

Population: 54,093

Trading per capita: §±0

Treasury: §33,045,829

Clone Point is the tip tourism city. Over 20,000 tourists travel here per month, because this is the best place to watch the space center. It has a "mini-central-park", where the tourists hang out most of the time. Of course, there seems to be some "phantom hotel" in the park, because when I ask some of the tourists, they say "had a good day, going to hotel" but keep on going round the park loop.

Miscellaneous Photos:

I just did a post on this! You can look there. Here's a sample photo:

g1He7re.png

City 2: Fi

Stats

Population: 159,244

Trading per capita: §-159,000 (Ω-co's fault)

In the region, Fi is the "big" city. At 159,000, it is the largest of the cities... and the richest. It has over §600,000,000 in cash and umpteen simoleons per hour. It has a "central park", where the elite dormitories are located. The park also houses 20 mini-parks, ranging from city parks to hopscotch corners.

Fi also has the most expensive condominiums. The condominiums in The Beacon can sell from §10,000,000 on the first floor to §50,000,000 in the penthouse suite.

It also has extreme businesses. Electronic Farts sells its merchandise to all the cities in the region except Fixer, where Farts' merchandise is strictly forbidden under penalty of law.

Miscellaneous Photos:

kHnvmCR.jpg

zohG2uc.jpg

ESo3IMx.jpg

SkHET3k.jpg

City 3: Clone Shores

Stats

Population: 5,190

Trading per capita: §±0 (no trading)

Treasury: §125,644,203

Originally an estate town, Clone Shores is now an expensive resort town. The hotels here are the most expensive, ranging from §1000/night to §1200/night in the most expensive, Posh Suites. Its maglev system is the only "light rail" public transport system in the region. However, there is a "phantom maglev system" near the space station, but this is disputed. Its Main Street is on the SimCitial Register of Historic Places because of its luxurious theaters.

Miscellaneous Photos:

2oaN4eN.jpg

QmOeDbo.jpg

59ScwED.jpg

Lmjh8d3.jpg

Sx7CF3C.jpg

6Iu9Qur.jpg

j5GjzlM.jpg

TjSew4a.jpg

sSD65QW.jpg

i3LRleb.jpg

6zlAIC0.jpg

dlBLoAG.jpg

F7lgzHy.jpg

kVbRwx9.jpg

City 4: Fixer

Population: 59,062

Treasury: §21,431,886

Trading per capita: §1,544,643

Named after the famed Delta Squad member, Fixer is a city with tons of potential. It is mostly medium-density residential, but it also has a trade port and a consumer electronics factory. The computers are shipped to the nearby Fixer-Gregor Space Station whenever the computers frequently break down or are infected with viruses from criminals from Fi.

When you travel to this city, you are sure to pass the MaxisMan Statue. This statue was supposed to be a statue of Fixer himself, but the man who created the plans for the statue worked undercover for the MaxisMan, and decided to play a trick on the foolish statue council.

Fixer is famous for its many policies, the most famous being the Fi ban. No cargo or freight from Fi is allowed in the city and must be shipped by boat across the bay to the other cities. The only company that has disobeyed this policy is Electronic Farts. They were fined §1,500,000 by the city council and one of their franchises was put out of business.

Sample Ridiculous Policies:

• No Electronic Farts Merchandise.
  • No one-way roads.
  • No buildings shorter than 10 feet.
  • No photography near churches.
  • No flash photography.
  • No non-Fixer-based cable services.
  • No Fi merchandise.
  • There can be no mascots excepting local schools.
  • The mascots can not be larger than 10 feet, because they might be mistaken for a building.
  • No left on yellow.
  • No moving on red (I suppose this isn't ridiculous)
  • No yield signs.
  • No roundabouts/rotaries.
  • Mountain climbers must wear approved mountain-climbing uniforms.

Miscellaneous Photos:

MOKAGizm.jpg

Fixer himself, the template for the MaxisMan Statue

PSlSWKv.jpg

5f61ZHu.jpg

40XAf6l.jpg

qVgmByi.jpg

VgVIUZA.png

r5xuoOI.png

M2bemhy.png

TuMPbUC.jpg

City 5: Port Gregor

Stats

Population: 10,322

Trading per capita: §2,244,445 (one year prior to CJ release )

Treasury: §204,005,239

Port Gregor was the city that made the space station. Its resources finished the enormous complex and its workers are the main commuters. Port Gregor is on the edge of disaster— it is too close to the newly-made space station. It is said by many of the prior residents that "eventully one of dose durned spacey tings is goina blast our towrn..." This resident was reportedly from the deep mountains and had never seen electricity before moving to Port Gregor, but we are unsure of that source.

Miscellaneous Photos:

XhaDAaA.png

TM5gxOe.jpg

DCfGa1x.png

r1hGRED.jpg

adgQBdK.jpg

City 6: Fort Trooper

Stats

Population: 19,441

Trading per capita: §±0

Fort Trooper is the most technologically advanced city in the region. It is on the coast, but does not utilize the coastline; instead, it has many high-end businesses that flank its shores. The beaches are reportedly "the best thing since hot dogs". We believe that this is the same resident from earlier, but we are not sure.

The sickeningly large police station is so large that it serves the entire region. The fire station is so small that when a meteor struck a year prior to this post, the entire city but one building burned to ashes. The meteor happened to hit a large oil tank, exploding and lighting the countryside. The explosion could be seen from Fixer, almost 10 miles away. The residents of aforesaid city say that "we could see it and we were afraid. We ran to the nearest Red Cross and hid. We think that a large lizard was in our city at the time as well and reduced our houses to rubble. There was a print on Mulberry Road that was quite descriptive." We asked the woman interviewed to talk about Fort Trooper, not disasters, because that will be covered in a later post.

Miscellaneous Photos:

9lCsjX7.png

oOhhZNS.png

JN79Tny.jpg

U5MZNa4.jpgNext Time...

The Long-Awaited Post

The Time After That...

Disaster!

john316316

Clone Point

Entry 4: Clone Point

by john316316

BGAK0mj.png

April 23, 2015

5Ogg24s.png

I never do get to Clone Gardens.

Clone Point was a creation of today. I based it (sort of) on Midtown New York, with a large Central Park in the middle. It took about a minute to plot out (because I lived in New York City when I was very young). The "Central Park" is two blocks wide and four blocks long. I call the road that should be 5 Ave "Main Street".

mpoq2BA.png

Main Street, in full color (Teal and Orange)

I also have a fully functioning OmegaCo. Anyway, time for the miscellaneous pictures.

OEj56Xx.png

eJvGHcd.png

9NReuk9.png

djTHLAc.png

hJEYtnI.jpg

VtUCw2m.pngA question for CJ Veterans:

How do you get so many photos on yours? Imgur never loads mine, so I end up with only five or six.

Thanks!

—john316316

john316316

Entry 3: My "Why-Did-You-Come-To-This-Region-Even-Though-I-Made-It-And-Said-It-Was-Private?" Rant

by john316316

April 12, 2015

BGAK0mj.png

KyLUY1r.png

Here's my region. Pretty nice, right? WRONG.

SOME JERKS MOVED IN AND TOOK ALL OF THE CITIES!

Don't you hate it when you make an online region (this was unavoidable before update 10.0) and some jerks take all the best city plots? Then they invite all their friends and they take all the other ones. I started one city on Discovery Delta once. The next time I got on, there was another person playing. I didn't care and went to my original city. When I decided that I was done with that city, I went to get another city, and BAM! There were none available. All of them had been taken by that other guy. So every time I make a new Discovery Delta region, some other person went in and stole all the cities. Eventually I learned the trick of grabbing all the cities beforehand. But somehow, people were still able to grab my claimed cities.

So, getting back to my original post, I had my best region. My friend and I were playing together on a region we both liked. We each claimed one city on the coast and began. I made Port Dennis, and he made Hobbiton. Both of those cities we played to the fullest. When we looked for another one, there were only a couple left. None were by the river... And those were the ones we like the most. And then, when I asked nicely three times for them to leave (because their cities were finished), one of them somehow turned the region off sandbox. Suddenly everything needed "Open Sewage Council" or "Open Plasma Physics Annex in region". I was mad at the game for a week.

If you are one of those people who just grab random regions and hoard cities even when you're done with them, I am asking you to please reconsider your fun... and invite people to your regions. Thank you.

john316316

Port Dennis

Entry 2: Port Dennis

by john316316

April 12, 2015

BGAK0mj.png

Contrary to my previous entry, I'm going to do my city "Port Dennis" first.

You may ask, "Why?"

This is my only current photo of Clone Gardens... (and it's not even current)

mYGUCaF.jpg

Now we will hurriedly begin Port Dennis as I try to play SimCity and get more Clone Gardens photos.

Port Dennis has three main sectors.

Sector 1 (the tourism sector) is very small (which is an adjective that also describes the amount of tourism), and is on what I think is the North bank of the river. It has a bridge connecting that is curvy... Only pictures describe it, which is why I am uploading pictures instead of typing a 4000 word essay about it. (not like I would, because my 4000-word documents never come out well)

Sector 2 is the tech/commercial area. It curves around the edge of the city, touching both train stations. The important stores like "Extroodo Expresso Loanos" are here.

Sector 3 is the residential area. Within it are 5 different neighborhoods:

• Port Dennis Avenue
  • Arc d'Résidents
  • The Strip
  • The College
  • Welcometourists

tqIc9VM.jpgImage 1: (above) A city panorama. From here you can see the bridge.

Image 2: (below) The highway. For some reason the guy next to me made tons of industrial. So I don't have to make any stinky polluting areas! Hooray! On the left, there is The Strip neighborhood. On the right, there is the Arc d'Résidents area.

0AyttSB.jpg

w51nNDT.jpg

Image 3: (above) The CHIC shop. I think this is the flagship store. The Strip neighborhood is to the left.

Image 4: (below) The region panorama. Port Dennis Avenue (neighborhood) is in the foreground. In the foreground is Port Dennis; the city in the background is Psalm2323's Hobbiton and in the far back is my Cannot Be Hidden.

KVwCVLd.jpg

2pffWws.jpg

Image 5: (above) The Port Dennis Avenue neighborhood and the surrounding skyscrapers.

Image 6: (below) The Port Dennis Avenue neighborhood again, this time from Port Dennis Pkwy.

yE2Ovuq.jpgMiscellaneous Other Photos:

iH2JkK5.jpg

WjO4V8P.jpg

Next time....

My rant about mean people who take over your region

Port Dennis Miscellaneous

Clone Gardens

john316316

The Background

Entry 1: The Background

by john316316

April 12, 2015

BGAK0mj.png

Ku1TrUI.jpg

What/who introduced you to SimCity?

It was a kid in my area. He said, "Hey, look at this cool video!" and shoved his iPad in my face. I was forced to look at a screen. But after a while, the screen got interesting (it stopped being some person's logo). It was a city-building game... I had never heard of a city-building game. Under further questioning of my neighbor, I was informed that it was called "SimCity 4" and that I could buy it online. After saving up some money, I was informed by aforesaid friend that SimCity 4 wasn't cool and wasn't new. Disgusted, I looked it up myself, and saw that indeed, it wasn't cool (sorry) and wasn't new, because there was a new video game that surpassed all the old SimCities. (or so I thought at the time)

SimCity 2013 had just come out!

If Origin had a cash register, it immediately went "cha-ching". And then I started building.

How many cities have you built?

Probably hundreds. I haven't been counting.

Why do you like SimCity?

I like it because of the 3D component. I've drawn all these maps of imaginary places. I pretended that there were buildings there and sort of "built cities". But when I found a real version, I was instantly attracted. I still draw maps, though.

What is your favorite building?

My favorite building is the medium wealth coffee shop. Why? It plays jazz... and I love jazz.

If you could make any mod possible, what would it be?

A post office mod. Why doesn't SimCity have a post office? It could be based on the trash system... inversed (if there is such a word).

My second choice would be a street-naming tool and dynamic signs. That would be pretty cool.

What do you think would be the "ultimate SImCity city"?

Ultimate? Immediately I think circle. High wealth. Giant futurized skyscrapers. Academy. If it wasn't a circle, it would have weird terrain. At least four coffee shops around the perimeter. Awesome public transit. Amazing intellectual strength. Large tourist economy. No pollution. Revenue infinity... I think it would be sandbox.

What is the best city you've ever made?

Clone Gardens. Hands down. It's the closest I can get to the "ultimate" status. It'll be in the next post.

I'm definitely going to try to update often... Stay tuned.

Season's Greetings!

xmas popup.jpg

Thank You for the Continued Support!

Simtropolis relies mainly on member donations to continue operating. Without your support, we just would not be able to be entering our 15th year online!  You've really help make this a great community.

But we still need your support to stay online. If you're able to, please consider a donation to help us stay up and running, so that we can help keep bringing SimCity players together to share our creations.

Make a Donation, Get a Gift!

Expand your city with the best from the Simtropolis Echange.
Make a donation and get one or all three discs today!

stexcollection-header.png

By way of a "Thank You" gift, we'd like to send you our STEX Collector's DVD. It's some of the best buildings, lots, maps and mods collected for you over the years. Check out the STEX Collections for more info.

Each donation helps keep Simtropolis online, open and free!

Thank you for reading and enjoy the site!

More About STEX Collections