• Entry
  • Comments
  • Views

About this City Journal

My Journey to Create a SimCity Paris

Entries in this City Journal

bearcatnat

Learning the Ropes

So I've been a fan of SimCity since the grand old days of yore, otherwise known as the 1990's. SimCity2000 was a revolution to me, and I spent long nights building my cities. I was so into it, I even purchased the SC2000 strategy guide and read it cover to cover.

Around 2012, I purchased SimCity4 off when the Origin website was running a sale. I installed it, played a few times, then promptly forgot about it. After several years away from the game, I recently rediscovered SimCity at the end of 2014. I got back into playing the game, and went online to see what fabulous new strategies existed, since SC4 was much more intense than my previous SC2000 experience.

How surprised was I to find out that SC4 could not only be modded, but there was still a thriving online following for the game! After much exploring and reading about the mods available, I tried out a few and was pleasantly surprised. These game modders really improved the game and took it much further than Maxis ever had. I promptly installed the much-touted NAM (Network Add-on Mod) and RHW (Real Highway) mods.

Now here was a brand new challenge set before me--mastering the intricacies of building highways and making the Sims use them! After a lot of frustration, demolishing, and rebuilding, I managed to build a decent size city of 150K Sims with a working ring highway. Then I explored adding in railway lines to compliment the highway, and my Sims loved the train. So many possibilities! (I still remembered the days when building a railway in SC2000 would all but bankrupt your city, and few if any Sims cared to use it.)

With the NAM and RHW conquered, I moved on to try out differing garbage solution mods, anti-pollution mods, and modified power plants. So much power! So many praises for my SimMayor! I was thrilled when my cities were becoming large enough in population for brand new, never-before-seen buildings to pop up.

But it wasn't enough...just look at all these blasé Maxis buildings. Another Posh Villa? *yawn* Here comes still one more JEK Equestrian Marketplace? *shakes head* What ELSE can I do to my game?

Then I discovered the vast array of BATs--custom build buildings. And then came the barrage of buildings from my favorite place in the world--Paris! Could it be possible that people were actually recreating entire real-life cities within SimCity? Why, yes, it was not just possible but really happening!

And so I started collecting all the possible bits and pieces to recreate my own Sim version of my favorite city. The list of BATs and mods is long and exhausting. I soon found that for every BAT, there were 1-2, if not 10, required "dependencies", or files to make the BATs render properly.

So far, I have installed a wonderful Paris map by drunkenapple, and several residential/commercial buildings. I decided to start my city in the heart of Paris--the Ile de Cité--and build outwards. I quickly found out that Paris is oriented in such a way that nearly all the buildings and streets sit on a diagonal. So began my adventures with diagonal streets and FAR - fractionally angled roads.

I built a very small part of the Ile, and plopped the pretty Sainte Chapelle (just for kicks). Now I'm gathering further BATs, installing dependencies and working on keeping all of this mish-mash of files organized. It's a very small start, but so much fun!

Sign in to follow this  

Help Keep Simtropolis Online, Open & Free!

stexcollection-header.png

Would you be able to help us catch up after a bit of a shortfall?

We had a small shortfall last month. Your donation today would help us catch up for this month.

Make a Donation, Get a Gift!

We need to continue to raise enough money each month to pay for expenses which includes hardware, bandwidth, software licenses, support licenses and other necessary 3rd party costs.

By way of a "Thank You" gift, we'd like to send you our STEX Collector's DVD. It's some of the best buildings, lots, maps and mods collected for you over the years. Check out the STEX Collections for more info.

Each donation helps keep Simtropolis online, open and free!

Thank you for reading and enjoy the site!

More About STEX Collections