Sign in to follow this  
  • Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

About this City Journal

My attempt to make a city realistic as possible.

Entries in this City Journal

poiuy1208

Update Time:

This post will feature the Riverside neighborhood of Des Plaines. Riverside is the oldest neighborhood in Des Plaines and is situated along the Mississimi River. Historically Riverside has been the first stop for new immigrants in Des Plaines' history. While that is still true today, the neighborhood is rapidly gentrifying due to its close proximity to downtown and its wealth of beautiful old historic buildings and landmarks. Despite the rush of yuppies moving in, the neighborhood still has a reputation for being on the dangerous side.

Location in Des Plaines.

View of neighborhood:

QGOLj.jpg

The Encroaching Downtown:

Vccmh.jpg

Example of Housing Stock:

Ck2FJ.jpg

The hip and artsy Lincoln Street.

20 years ago people would laugh at you and think you were nuts if you moved over here. Now it's one of the hottest addresses in town.

GK7Ii.jpg

Housing around Lincoln Street:

Barely visible at top right is the Des Plaines Modern Art Museum before downtown.A huge tourist destination.

FzHIq.jpg

Street to avenue widening has left an odd, uneven steetscape and caused the loss of many historic buildings.

Sf4lC.jpg

Roads are packed at all hours.

HusnL.jpg

EL to subway transition.

IkIn9.jpg

Northern section of Riverside is mainly composed of single family homes which are separated from the dense apartments by the firefighters memorial and the Old German Chuch and Cemetery.

Hk61Q.jpg

Next update I will show downtown. Later updates will have calm rural areas, and blighted ghettos. I have most fun making the ghettos look as depressingly realistic as possible, so stay tuned! ;)

poiuy1208

Des Plaines preview.

Hey everyone, I just got back playing Sim City 4 after a few years. I've always wanted to do a city journal since I registered to this site 8 years ago. (I still can't believe it's been that long.) I was a major lurker then. I'm surprised to see alot of familiar faces. Now for my city.

I used a slightly modified Minneapolis-St. Paul map I found on the Stex here. My city is named Des Plaines and I picture it being a major Midwestern city on the Mississippi River. The map is made up of 5 large tiles square. Most of the commercial skyscrapers i plop. I try to make the city look as realistic as possible.

Regionview

YRw0u.jpg

Skyline at Night.

yo3fK.jpg

World Class Architecture.

ZA6T0.jpg

The Riche

D3ApV.jpg

Middle Class Neighborhood

7SaLt.jpg

Ghetto

hNXKL.jpg

The Projects

En0GT.jpg

Gentrification

Lz0RX.jpg

More to come later!

Sign in to follow this  

Help Keep Simtropolis Online, Open & Free!

stexcollection-header.png

Get the best of the best from the STEX!

Expand your city with the best from the Simtropolis Echange. Make a donation and get one or all three discs today!

Make a Donation, Get a Gift!

We need to continue to raise enough money each month to pay for expenses which includes hardware, bandwidth, software licenses, support licenses and other necessary 3rd party costs.

By way of a "Thank You" gift, we'd like to send you our STEX Collector's DVD. It's some of the best buildings, lots, maps and mods collected for you over the years. Check out the STEX Collections for more info.

Each donation helps keep Simtropolis online, open and free!

Thank you for reading and enjoy the site!

More About STEX Collections