Tarvastu

• Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

About this City Journal

Mostly Maps and Infographics

Entries in this City Journal

Coppertown2

A big part of Tarvasian culture is regional identity. While it is true the Tarvasian people have great pride for their country they have an even bigger one for their city.

The National Academy of Heraldry and Vexillology was established in the early years of the newly independent country to regulate flag design throughout the country.

W1Qgkh.png

Four flag types were developed:

One for island cities consisting of a 1:2 proportion with a fly splitting into two pennons the flag is easily identified for featuring a Scandinavian cross.

A second for military ports, (walled old towns) the flag is also a 1:2 proportion with the fly consists of three pennons, the one at the upper length extending longer than the rest.

The third is the one assigned to all coastal cities with no military ports: similar to the military port flag 1:2 banner with three pennons the ones along the length extending full length and the one in the centre cut back.

the fourth is the one for all inland cities: 2:1 proportion with no pennons.

Before we go into individual flags, here's a map for reference:

eTM4i.jpg

Ak6n6.jpg

A view of downtown Kask, showing many of the features associated with the city: large open spaces, green fields and water.

w89pg.png

L9rQQ.jpg

Downtown Viinapuumaa, the old shops and cobblestone roads characteristic of this small island town.

QZLIR.png

xkbcy.jpg

A view of Downtown Valga showing the large high rises and one of the bridges. Valga island is known for its extremely dense development and bright lights celebrating a booming economy.

5bQRO.png

dypkQ.jpg

Vihlus old town showing the old church and part of the fortified walls.

f0NzP.png

OlZqT.jpg

Not much remains of old Tangdutt, shown here are the restored remains of the old city walls and the town hall surrounded by the development the city has seen in recent decades.

ttdgw.png

AeOUO.jpg

A view of Soovide old town, the largest of the walled towns, during Saint George's Fest: the biggest festival in Tarvastu. A week long light, music and food festival dating back to 1812. (which we'll visit next!)

NxDMA.png

Thank you for reading! hoped you enjoyed it!

Next up: Soovide's Saint George Fest!

Coppertown2

Starmaa

Starmaa started off as a small suburb developing around a major highway crossroad leading from Soovide/ Vihlus to Hingett/ Ialhuva.

Overtime Starmaa experienced massive development eventually becoming one of the major economies in the region. Massive skyscrapers and long boulevards characterize Starmaa today, well... that and an amusement park built on the bay.

PNrfQ.jpg

At the centre of the picture is the crossroad that gave Starmaa life. Two obelisks errected in 1850 mark the 'entrance' Into Igrosmott, or Northern Tarvastu.

cQ0ue.jpg

Another view of the crossroad, with Starmaa Park visible at the bottom.

MYQR9.jpg

The dense business district illuminated at night.

T1TCL.jpg

The highways split again upon reaching the National Plaza, Left goes to Hingett, lower left to Ialhuva.

Zzs44.jpg

The old Colonial Hall, where the first National Parliament sat.

aka7q.png

Another view of Starmaa Park.

hvNvg.jpg

A wall of highrises facing the National Plaza.

E2iZs.jpg

A terribly Photoshopped Fog makes its way up the old suburbs along Starmaa Boulevard.

NqiCJ.png

To wrap it up, just for reference here's Starmaa, Hingett and Ialhuva around the national plaza.

Starmaa: Blue.

Hingett: Yellow.

Ialhuva: Red.

Jp3ylh.jpg

For more maps, history and other stuff visit Tarvastu's wiki!

Next up: Flags of Tarvastu.

Coppertown2

Valga and Starmaa.

Hello guys! long time no see! I have gotten back to playing SimCity and have taken Tarvastu from ~650,000 to 1,050,000! So there's loads of new things going on and I've got loads of things to show!!

Problem is, I've got no internet connection at my home and will be unable to post all I want for at least a couple of weeks, but here are two mosaics I've put together in the last few days:

Le3hk.jpg

Starmaa, a lush coastal city developed around the meetingpoint of the two major cross city highways. One of the oldest suburbs of the country, it has now developed into a large, dense city. Famous for its amusement park and boulevards.

1mOVa.jpg

Valga is one of the newer cities in Tarvastu at only 120 years old. Originally a small settlement on an island formed by the splitting of a river, it has since expanded to encompass all areas around the island. In this picture we see Valga Island in the lower part and Valga University and surrounding suburbs on the upper part.

vBwBc.jpg

Same picture, the highlighted part is Valga University. showing all its academic buildings, residence towers, and sporting fields.

It has flags and stuff!!

Thanks for reading! stayed tuned for more!

-Coppertown

Coppertown2

Soovide

9rNhD.jpg

Map of Tarvastu metropolitan area, Showing Soovide and the bay.

8Ureu.jpg

Soovide started off as a walled fortification atop a limestone cliff, Here we see the tower of the old City Hall, and the old Market Square.

YmYPc.jpg

The crowded Soovide old town is the largest of the four walled cities in Tarvastu.

ReX6W.jpg

The city soon developed outside the city walls, where historic preservation laws permitted the constant renewal of architecture, resulting in a large clash between 18th century and 21th century architecture just past the old city walls.

R84SD.jpg

Soovide wraps around a large bay, large residential developments cling to the coast to satisfy the ever growing demand for bay front real estate.

oeOEl.jpg

The new Warriors' Field sits near the industrial district.

czv1S.jpg

The two tallest buildings in the country stand side, sandwiched between the old city and the bay.

08aRA.jpg

Old and New, Soovide is known for its limited space and dense development.

X9UQ5.jpg

Few newer plazas have been opened up in recent years, as land won from the bay is developed into a fast growing financial district.

lQvCm.jpg

The old Liberty pillar stands atop the northern hill, where the city first saw mayor development in the 20th century.

Which city would you like to visit next?

T4CEH.jpg

Coppertown2

As you may have noticed already: My CJ is 50% maps, 50% other things, so guess what? here's another map!

Tarvastu-not-dead-just-chillaxing.jpg

Long time back I had posted a map showing the location of each of the cities within the metropolitan area, but that was back when I was still using the old Tarvastu (before I decided to delete the gamefiles in a moment of rage hehe) So now here's the map but using "neo" Tarvastu:

Tarvastu-Metropoli-subdivisions2.jpg

As you may have noticed the borders aren't the usual SimCity4 Large Medium Small squares. Why? because I planned the city out to look like a real metropolis so some areas of one city extend into the next square to give it a more natural look. So, well, this is Tarvastu.

Note: Cities like Dulga Taamel, Kask and Tallinn are actually 3 or more squares 'merged' in game they are completely different squares, cities like Hingett, Ialjuva and others are actually smaller than the medium sized square they are in-game.... It's hard to explain haha hope you understood. **(The metropolitan area is made up of 35 developed SimCity squares, all medium and small)**

Well anyway, thanks for viewing! leave comments or suggestions! I usually respond in the comments! :ducky:

Coppertown2

LunaLohkkullmaa2.jpg

This is the small village of Lõuna Lohk, in Öökullmaa. A dependency of Tarvastu. I'll create a second CJ for Öökullmaa once I figure out how to do so! :rofl:

PS. if anyone knows if it is possible to create a second CJ using the same account please tell me how :P

Coppertown2

Just a mini update since I haven't published anything in a while:

This is Ialjuva, you might remember the city for housing the first university and having the Ego of a thousand suns.

House to many of Tarvastu's great Poets, Authors, Scientists and Politicians 'Ialvans' don't consider themselves part of the Greater Tarvastu Metropolitan area even though they're in the middle of it.

Adding to their Ego, Ialjuva Ülikool (University) and Ialvan Poet Jaak Vilms are featured on the most used Kroon banknote.

20-krooni-finished.jpg

So let's spend a lovely sunset in this City!

We arrive early at the University's sporting grounds, As older buildings are condemned and others burn down, the University buys the land and turns it into large public sporting grounds.

old-new-side-by-side.jpg

A small country of just under 600,000 people proudly brags of having some of the best athletes for its size, this is the University Jalgpall Stadium, gymnasium and surrounding courts.

sports-dorms.jpg

Tennis, the 'National pastime' is a favorite at the University, the Tennis stadium often hosts the 'wildest' tennis crowd, (Tarvasians, especially Ialvans take tennis very seriously)

sports-houses.jpg

The sun begins to set as we reach "The Prime" a new high density development area built on land won from the sea.

Prime-sunset.jpg

Make a wish! an old Tarvasian legend says wishes are granted as the last rays of sun sink behind the horizon.

This is the Central Plaza, where the famous town meeting of 1745 led to a series of revolts and ultimately the independence movement.

sunset-downtown.jpg

Theater, another favorite past time. The Regal is a historical theater on the Central plaza, next to it can be seen the familiar blue glow of the Metroo.

Care to join us for a night show?

night-time-show-at-the-regal.jpg

Night has fallen and the monuments come to life, telling stories of heroes of the past. Thank you for your time! please do visit again! Ialjuva welcomes you, plus we are better than Hingett! :rofl:

night-falls-in-city-center.jpg

EDIT.

Last minute comic!

insulo.jpg

Always happens...

Nothing against you 2b2gbi, I just thought it was a funny idea for a comic! :ducky:

Coppertown2

What have you been up to now Coppertown?

-Well my little imaginary friend, I have been improving one of my favorite cities of course!

Sovidetternimatt is one of the main ports of Tarvastu, and sometime in the 60's a few good men (businessmen)saw great potential in one of its bays.

soovid-plan.jpg

The Businessmen, who may have been, or may have not been, or may have simply acted like, Texans at the time decided they had lots of money and wanted to challenge mother nature and make a part of Soovid bay their own.

soovid-plan-2.jpg

They may have, or may have not, celebrated this engineering feat by shooting skywards and tossing their hats in the air.

The result was prime land, lots, and lots of land ready to be developed in a city where space was more than needed.

the area grew rapidly during the 70's and quickly skyscrapers started to appear.

Sovidetternimatt-14Sep941310783322.png

Sovidetternimatt City Hall, highest structure in the city for over 300 years, soon surpassed by over 15 other structures.

Well, enough talk, on to the pictures!

Sovidetternimatt-19Sep941310783403.png

Sovidetternimatt-18Sep941310783389.png

Sovidetternimatt-17Sep941310783380.png

Sovidetternimatt-16Sep941310783360.png

Sovidetternimatt-13Sep941310783287.png

Old Warriors field, a newer one has been built near the industrial area.

Sovidetternimatt-2Sep941310783150.png

Sovidetternimatt-31Aug941310783127.png

Sovidetternimatt-29Aug941310783106.png

Sovidetternimatt-31May811310672946.png

Sovidetternimatt-5Sep941310783218.png

New Warriors Field, being awesome and stuff.

Later this wek, or next week, or whenever I'm finished with it: Sovidetternimatt Marina!! :bunny:

Thanks for the time! feel free to rate, comment, like, give suggestions, constructive critizism, and/or tips! (can you tell I had lots of sugar?!)

Coppertown2

I've created this handy dandy guide to better understand how Tarvastu came to be as it is today!

First here's an areal view of how Tarvastu looks today (somewhere around the mid 1950's)

From-Hills-to-Seas.jpg

(It's a hugemungus image... sorry 'bout that)

Now that you know what Tarvastu looks like, here's how it got there: almost 500 years* of growth. (* the 500 years is just for CJ purpose, the city isn't over 200 years old SC4 time)

tarvastu-1500-1950-2.jpg

RED: The original walled cities, in chronological order (which also happens to be from left to right): Linna 1512, Sovidettermminatt 1521, Tangdutt 1532, and finally Vihlus 1545.

ts-1.jpg

The oldest known map of Tarvastu, a map showing the fortified city of Vihlus somewhere around 1550.

The map shows Vihlus bay and Tarvasian hills can be seen to the right.

Linna.jpg

A drawing of the Linna city walls before the War for Independence, when the outer walls were destroyed by the Russian Navy.

BLUE: The old cities from after the days of the war for independence, C. 1650-1790

889645_21_b-1.jpg

The cities grow with an architectural style similar to the ones seen in Europe. C.1790-1840.

GREEN: Tarvasian growth during the Industrial Revolution, a time when the economy grew greatly thanks to exports and immigration. C.1840-1920

Hingett-1840.jpg

"Industry has changed the face of the world and now offers the working man newer opportunities to succeed" -Jaak Vilms, Tarvasian Prime Mimister 1846-1860

YELLOW: Suburbs become norm after the middle class becomes the majority. C.1920-1945

hingett.jpg

The dense old town jungle is replaced by the vast green suburbs as a favorite place to live by Tarvasians, Long avenues and wide roundabouts now cross the cities effectively starting to connect them into a massive metropolitan area.

WHITE: The Suburbs spread and all cities are connected to form one. C. 1945-Present

sprawl-1.jpg

"In the beginning [Of Tarvastu] everyone shared one wall, now everyone has a wall of their own" -Robert Öpik Tarvasian Architect and Urban Planner.

To finish this off, here's a little physical map of Tarvastu

geographic-map.jpg

Thanks for reading! feel free to comment, rate give tips and advice!

Coppertown2

The city of Hingett is the largest and fastest growing of the cities within the Tarvasian Metropolitan Area. The city houses the Parliamentary building and in home to Tarv Motors Inc. A luxury car make.

Hingett-7Sep311310423055.png

The Parliamentary building surrounded by parks and fountains.

The people of Hingett are known for being hard workers, large industrial buildings and tall office towers dot the city.

Hingett-14Sep311310423138.png

Hingett takes great pride in its architecture, from the most beautiful Art-Deco buildings to the more contemporary 'glass boxes'

History has left its mark in Hingett, where hundreds of buildings are protected by the National Architectural Historical Society. Thanks to their sometimes drastic measures and actions buildings like the Isamaa Theater have survived the times and now beautify this globalized city.

Hingett-9Sep311310423078.png

Another great place to spend your time when you visit Hingett: one of its over 100 parks!

Hingett-4Sep311310423042.png

As night falls, the city takes a new life, light floods the streets and a 'second day' begins, People from Hingett take work very seriously, many working night shifts.

Hingett-13Jul321310423240.png

The Parliamentary building is a must see!

Hidden little shops, restaurants, bars and lounges open their doors at this time and share their magic with tourists and locals alike.

Hingett-15Jul321310423252.png

The Igavesti Lounge if frequented by actors and politicians.

Here, more than in any other city in Tarvastu, people have grown used to living in high rises, Hingians may have their feet well placed on the ground, but their homes are way up in the skies

Hingett-16Jul321310423262.png

Favorable weather and beautiful scenery allow for large windows in residential buildings.

The Tarvasian National Metro is one of the oldest, still active subways in the world, over 20% of the population rides the 'Metroo' each day!

Hingett-18Jul321310423276.png

The fastest way to find a 'Metroo' terminal is looking for the bright blue neon lights.

Hingett's sister city is Staarma, a small coastal neighborhood to the south, both cities have identical copies of the "Globe" monument, erected and presented by each city to its sister city in 1955.

Hingett-21Jul321310423297.png

If you take Hingett Avenue, also known as 'Second Natl. Highway' you pass through both globes.

None of the National Heroes from the days of the independence came from Hingett, which at the time was just a small farming community, but today it houses to all of them, at least in statue form. :thumb:

Hingett-29Jul321310423322.png

"And with the wind and in the night rode Timo followed by his men, and they were greeted by victory. To a free and eternally glorious Tarvastu" -exert form the "Ajalugu Tarvasian sõltumatuse" a History of Tarvasian Independence.

Coppertown2

Soon...

4-7-11.jpg

'Neo' Tarvastu

A few weeks back I lost my whole region, all pictures, everything. So now I have started over from zero. The New and improved Tarvastu... Coming soon.

Coppertown2

Well, during a moment of rage I decided to uninstall all my video games including SimCity4... Yes I even deleted the saved games and all screen shots.

delet-everything.jpg

It kind of went something like that... (Started my CJ with a comic, ended it with a comic!)

So yeah, I lost all screenshots and stuff... so now I don't have much to share.

In the end Tarvastu had 886,000 Inhabitants, the average income was 160,000

The largest cities were Hingett: 345,000 Ialjuva 186,000.

Sovidetternimatt looked super sexy with an 'old town' and an Olympic village:

248988_151954028208057_148675228535937_310393_3721677_n.jpg

250934_151336908269769_148675228535937_306058_2719221_n.jpg

I've only got two pictures of the old city and well... none of the awesome Olympic village :(

(EDIT!) Olympic Village!

olympic.jpg

Yup, that's the only surviving picture of it....

Well, it's definitively a sad good bye, although the city was looking better each day, problems were growing and had me puzzled on what to do next, my northern cities were getting way to big,

227243_10150287224734307_651544306_9336371_3006208_n.jpg

and the metropolis had stretched too far south forming new cities like this one: Vointssmessera.

Vointssmesserabay-1.jpg

macro-5-20-2011-night.jpg

So yeah, a little rage moment sparked by problems with my college caused this... haha, let this be a warning to y'all: You rage, You lose.

So 'Hüvasti' Tarvastu! farewell! and thanks to everyone who followed my posts, it was fun.

day-break-1.jpg

Coppertown2

So, these past weeks have been pretty interesting ones for my region: lots of growth, lots of new BATs & downloads and much more!

I've really only gone into depth on 2 of my 9 cities, and they happen to be the ones that have changed the most since then!

So I put on my thinking cap, sat on my cartoonishly big thinking chair, lit my pipe, and thought to myself:

"Oh, spirits of eternal faith and mysterious ways! what shall I do about this that troubles me?"

--"What is it now? our Earthly overlord who is probably suffering of schizophrenia because of stress" they answered.

"I do not know how to proceed with my City Journal! my last posts have no humor, and they are pretty boring... and stuff"

--"well, we're just voices in your head, don't ask us!" they concluded, before I realized I was actually just sitting there, talking to myself in the bus.

SO I decided I will use these next few weeks to fix up some of my cities, and study for my finals, and I will then resume posting entries by next weekend or something.

In the mean time, just to wrap this up, here's the new "bird's eye view" mosaic I made yesterday with updated cities, and textures. (The image is pretty.... Huge... so give it a minute haha)

macro-5-1-2011.jpg

500,000 People baby!

Coppertown2

This city Journal shows more than just pictures of my cities, it shows the history behind them.

I've discovered that the best way to make awesome cities is to feel attached to them, by giving them a background story or coming up with special treats!

Here I shall present the 6 Kroon Bills in circulation in Tarvastu. I will first upload the kn-5 kn-20 and kn-50, later on I'll add the kn-1 kn-10 and kn-100 (I haven't gotten time to do those yet.) Without anymore to say, here's the money used by Travasians:

Üks Kroon (One Kroon)

1-kroon-finished.jpg

A simple bill with a geometric design featuring Gen. Timo Randpere, Leader of the independence movement. All banknotes replicate the national flag's design at their right portion, but only this one, and the Kn 50 share its colors.

Viis Krooni (Five Kroons)

5-krooni-finished.jpg

The bill features the old town of Tallinn, Estonia, Igors Vaint First Prime Minister of Tarvastu, the Spire of The Eternal Flame with the National Flag next to the "Nine Pillars" (only 6 visible, I know...) representing the 9 Municipalities of Tarvastu.

Kakskummend Krooni (Twenty Kroons)

20-krooni-finished.jpg

The bill is one of the most widely used, It features Ialjuva University (First National University) Next to Jaak Vilms, Poet, Thinker and Father of the University.

Viiskummend Krooni (Fifity Kroons)

50-krooni-finished.jpg

Although all the bills represent the national flag in design only this, and the 1 bill share its colors.

the bill features the New Parliamentary Building in center, with the "Mother Ship" And Captain Puusepp (first Estonian Settlers to set foot on what became Tarvastu) to the right is an image of the Third Battle of Sovidetternimatt (decisive victory) during the war for independence.

I'll upload the rest as soon as I have them done! Enjoy!

Comment, Rate and feel free to give your opinion or tips! Thanks!

Coppertown2

(Lots of writing, I got creative... it's a story)

There once lived a man named Roger (or so the legend goes)

that owned a great big chunk of farmland in Tarvastu,

the years passed and the cities grew,

and before he knew, his trees were dying

and some rich developers buying

all that surrounded his land.

Roger wasn't going to give up,

all the land where he grew up.

He had a plan, he had a dream

that the city too will soon enjoy

the farm he harvested since he was a boy.

So he took a shovel, a donkey or two,

and planted trees (and sidewalks too.)

he build a park, so big and vast

that all the citizens agreed at last

"this shall be our national treasure,

and caring for it shall be our pleasure."

And so, in 1801 a new park was created. Though no one single man has been attributed to the construction of the park, official records do show the land once belonged to a single farmer and his three sons, after his death the land was split amongst them, one got the Hingett section, one the Staarma, and the last the Ialjuva.

Ialjuva section:

nat-plaza-ialjuva-1.jpg

at first the park was made into a sports ground.

nat-plaza-ialjuva-2.jpg

This is what the park looked like during the first "National Plaza" Effort

Staarma Section:

nat-plaza-staarma-1.jpg

Staarma decided to play along with the sports park at first,

nat-plaza-staarma-2.jpg

Staarma Section druing the first "National Plaza" Effort

Hingett Section:

Hingett (suburb of Ialjuva) had become the cultural center of the region, later it would house the Supreme Court and Parliament Building, these influenced a much more beautiful park when compared to Staarma's or Ialjuva's

nat-plaza-hingett-1.jpg

Plaza and Park, Hingett

nat-plaza-hingett-2.jpg

During the first "National Plaza" Effort. The new Parliament house was built on the park.

Macro (Mosaic)

inter-city-park.jpg

Original "National Plaza"

Some years later the Tarvastu National Parks and Recreation Council bought the land and started to develop a national project, instead of three separate 'national' parks.

The Project called for the demolition of some sea front buildings, the construction of the new Parliament Building, and a Spire to commemorate the "eternal" Independence

spire.jpg

Plans were drawn up and the largest construction project since the metropolitan subway system begun.

DSCF3299.jpg

In the end the people of Tarvastu were happy with the result: Three cities, One Park. a National Symbol and Landmark.

national-plaza-2.jpg

Please Comment, Rate, Share and feel free to make suggestions and constructive criticism!!

Coppertown2

Tarvastu is the Name of my Sim Nation, Founded by Estonian Colonists and named after a small village in their homeland.

Info:

Fact book:Geographic, Political.

Official Name: North American Republic of Tarvastu

Short Name: Tarvastu

Capital and Largest City: Hingett

Other Major cities: Vihlus (Main Port/Regional Administrative Capital)

Ialjuva (National University/ Regional Administrative capital)

Subdivisions: Igorsmott: (Ialjuva, Dulga, Hingett, Staarma)

Atlantic: (Vihlus, Elund, Tcgandutt, Koutima Baal, Sovidetternimatt)

National March (Anthem): The Liberty Bell by John Phillip Sousa (

)

Government: Parliamentary Democracy

Independence: From Estonia (Established under Swedish Empire independence from Russian Empire): 1754

Currency: Travasian Kroon

Flag:

Tarvastu-1.jpg

National Seal:

Tarvastu-seal.jpg

550px-Location_North_America.jpg

On Map:

map-Tarvastu.jpg

"Satellite view"

Igorsmott-1303067862.png

Fact book (cont.): Demographic, cultural.

Demonym: Travasian

Population: 453,000 (as of 27-apr-11)

GDP Total $ 14,4 Billion Dollars* (*not Updated)

Per Capita: $ 86,000*

Languages: Estonian 96%de Facto

English 76%

French 23%

Percentage of people who speak language as first or second language.

Tarvastu-flag-coast.jpg

National Flag off the coast of Vihlus. The flag is facing the Igorsmott bay (Bay of Fundy) towards Maine, U.S.A. and Saint Andrews, Canada.

Comments, suggestions, tips, and ratings welcome! all blackmail has to be sent in Morse Code please! hehe

Coppertown2

Vihlus' fall

Founded almost 50 years before any other city in the bay area Vihlus fell prey to its own greed and short lived awesomeness. During the war for independence the richest people from around the region fled to the safest port: Vihlus Sadam, Sovidettermminatt was like a massive ball of fire the whole time, and all of the younger, poorer refugees had to find newer places to settle. "why not build up? we have the technology!" argued some lawmakers, but Vihlus was transforming itself into a heart breaking beauty queen!

Vihlus-3Dec1101303067930.png

look at those curves! you can't build up with such nice neighborhoods!

various laws and restrictions made development impossible in Vihlus, and the city was becoming a retirement town. As the young workers from Ialjuva traveled to their jobs in Vihlus they crossed a small undeveloped suburban area, Staarma.

Staarma-4Jan281302320416.png

Staarma had lots of land which pulled the population west, this helped spark the growth of Ialjuva, Staarma became a big suburb, but Ialjuva had bigger plans:

They decided to do three things,

I)All residential and commercial zoning is medium density.

II)Power is to be imported and garbage exported to reduce pollution

III)Build the first national University

And WAZZAAAHHMMM!!! from out of nowhere a small town on the Idondett Poolsaar becomes the fastest growing city in the nation.

Ialjuva-9Oct891302319009.png

"Wazahm[!!!]: Onomatopoeia, Sound made by a fast growing city"

Vihlus was still enjoying a splendid cup of tea and biscuits when a messenger from Ialjuva walked into the Former Colonial Government Building holding in his hands a signed document containing 11 out of 16 signatures of the Igorsmott Council declaring Ialjuva the National capital.

(It's terrible era-inspired political cartoon time!)

Ialjuva-king.jpg

It is not clear if this cartoon depicts Ialjuva's rise to national Capital, or Ialjuva's TERRIBLE fashion sense... Historians are still split about the meaning.

Vihlus stopped growing and Ialjuva grew like a mad man... who grows a lot...

Up Next: Tarvastu's National Symbols and stuff... haha

Comments, suggestions, tips, and ratings welcome! all blackmail has to be sent in Morse Code please! hehe

Coppertown2

So I was surfing the 'Internets' and came across a neat region someone had created (sorry no I have link to it :/) I had been experimenting with new ways to design cities and decided to use a map with many small and medium tiles to create interesting new metropolitan areas. Here's a quick overview of the area before I go into its 'history'.

map.jpg

How many other city journals have dragons and Estonian ships? that's right... only this one! haha

The red dots represent the city centers, the yellow lines are the old roads connecting all the cities together (which I later closed to force all sims commuting to different cities to use the subway hehe)

Le History of le Tarvastu....

Tarvastu had been inhabited for thousands of years by natives before being settled by Estonian colonists, why Estonian? you may ask... I have NO idea why... but it's awesome.

Vilhus and Sovidettermminatt were the first two permanent settlements.

Vihlus-3Dec1101303067895.png

Vihlus Colonial Government Palace

Sovidettermminatt was attacked by pirates, Spaniards and Chuck Norrises every other day, so the settlement remained small and far from any other trace of life, in the other hand, Vihlus became a prospering city and when Banana pudding hit the fan across the New World and everyone started to fight for independence Vihlus became a major meeting place for rebels and exiles alike.

Tarvastu was granted its independence after a comically long war (It took almost a year for the Estonian army to arrive 15 minutes to notice they were outnumbered (the French decided they wanted in) and another year to go back and sign a treaty)The people of Vihlus were still celebrating their victory when out of nowhere hundreds and even thousands of new settlers arrived at the port seeking protection from the wars sweeping through the land.

Rich landowners developed the lands surrounding their estates and many new cities were born. And before anyone could say anything against it, a fast growing new settlement to the west of Vihlus declared itself the capital city. Ialjuva was in and ready to kick Vihlus to a side.

{Ialjuva to the left, Vihlus to the Right, with an awesome tophat}

cartoon-2.jpg

One of those old political cartoons depicting the event, being a political cartoon the joke pretty much sucks.

Help Keep Simtropolis Online, Open & Free!

stexcollection-header.png

Would you be able to help us catch up after a bit of a shortfall?

We had a small shortfall last month. Your donation today would help us catch up for this month.

Make a Donation, Get a Gift!

We need to continue to raise enough money each month to pay for expenses which includes hardware, bandwidth, software licenses, support licenses and other necessary 3rd party costs.

By way of a "Thank You" gift, we'd like to send you our STEX Collector's DVD. It's some of the best buildings, lots, maps and mods collected for you over the years. Check out the STEX Collections for more info.

Each donation helps keep Simtropolis online, open and free!

Thank you for reading and enjoy the site!

More About STEX Collections