• Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

About this City Journal

Hwæt! Wé Æscingas in þéodcyninga þrym gesægd hú ðá æþelingas ellen fremedon...

Entries in this City Journal

Joe 90

Uallacháinas, á!

<table border="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>_AFG1864.png</td><td><p class='bbc_center'>021-Football.png

So I've been doing a complete ground-up rebuild of Mearcgræf, which like everything else I do in SC is taking an eternity. In the meantime, I've got into the favourite passtime of most of the island's residents, and developed the Arthurian Football League System to the point where it has 9 tiers and nearly 1000 club teams involved! The Arthurian Football League (AFG) itself, which represents the top four leagues in the pyramid, now has its 96 teams up for adoption if you're into football, sports in general, or just like abusing the opposition. For those who want to adopt a club, some of the details around their home grounds and history is incomplete, which you're more than welcome to make suggestions about. Not many teams have that level of fan interaction!</p></td></tr></table>

Click a crest for more information on each club:

VeclaGedach.pngGlengealRavens.pngEanceasterTrinity.pngUAGKilbride.pngMalmuir.pngAlbannachs.pngArdruath.pngElesingSilceaster.png

Ivingham.pngEmrysCarabelin.pngStanhyllAlbion.pngBreconner.pngLhanfahel.pngAirmateryn.pngPenleathann.png

TiranArmenburh.pngAltriuCity.pngAtrebaBrynllanerch.pngTrahaearnRovers.pngAuchalphin.pngWitanceasterTechnical.pngOrcavia.pngEamerdon.png

HalbeornForest.pngTrimontNewstead.pngOccasfordUnited.pngAlaunaValone.pngManaw.pngArworthHarriers.pngIngildeston.png

Avonor.pngEaxenfeldCity.pngAstburhTown.pngVetraleiren.pngKPR.pngDunalbanRangers.pngMaiticcaArthish.png

Talgair.pngInvermawr.pngPrinceofMathrafal.pngIneceasterWanderers.pngNantraidh.pngEaldwychOldTown.pngSilceasterAthletic.pngSilceasterCity.png

Gewis.pngAlaunaOspreys.pngLucanOrient.pngElverth.pngTobarMoel.pngPenystradCastle.pngGabroa.png

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" style="width:812px"><tr><td><table border="0" cellpadding="0" style="width:606px"><tr><td>MerichBrae.pngSceaffieldStCaed.pngIneceasterAlbion.pngNathraichan.pngBrycgstowRovers.pngBlueStar.png</td></tr><tr><td>WitanceasterHawks.pngMelodunCeltic.pngPyetonampArmund.pngAlaw.pngVortigerNovanta.png</td></tr></table></td><td><table border="0" cellpadding="0" style="width:206px"><tr><td>Anlafaern.pngAncaster.png</td></tr></table></td></tr></table>

AstburhStPeters.pngTigua.pngWhiteHorse.pngWhiteStar.pngLlyrdrochaidh.pngTristransbridge.pngOccasfordBlues.png

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" style="width:807px"><tr><td><table border="0" cellpadding="0" style="width:100px"><tr><td>AfonhayAbbey.png</td></tr><tr><td>AthertonWells.png</td></tr></table></td><td><table border="0" cellpadding="0" style="width:707px"><tr><td>AxmynsterUnited.pngWulfraedsburgh.pngVynewall.pngHansaMearcgraef.pngArtorixMarceaster.pngWyverns.png</td></tr><tr><td>WestriceuVikings.pngAbermawrBailey.pngMurdaigeanUnited.pngGlyngochion.pngTraspain.pngGetelicTrevellyn.pngRosain.png</td></tr><tr><td>Uudrossig.pngMarceasterPalace.pngLleithinRhath.pngGlowanceaster.pngDracaBelin.pngLucanExcalibur.pngCallevanLions.png</td></tr></table></td></tr></table>

EanceasterParish.pngCarvorst.png

Click here to see where all the clubs are relative to each other:

rect37254.png

A few home grounds I've built, to show this isn't just a paper exercise!

Stad1.jpg

Stad2.jpg

And finally, part of the reason that the rebuild of Mearcgræf is going so slowly (other than the fact its just really big - 2.4 million sims in 21 municipalities) is so... much... terracing! Starting to regret changing the way I've been dealing with hills, but at least it looks good when its done.

ARW.jpg

GLO.jpg

Wes þú hál fram Miclian Arþura!

Joe 90

<table border="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>020-v.png</td><td><p class='bbc_center'>020-t.png

I haven't been doing a lot of building in SC4 of late, so no shiny new in-game pics in this update I'm afraid. This is all due to the fact I thought my map needed updating. Which ended up getting completely out of hand, as they seem to do all too often with me...

Nevertheless, the map is finally updated! Now you have no excuse for getting lost!</p></td></tr></table>

x47v.png

Click to Embiggen!

As an added bonus, all the britons I displaced by removing their island from existence can now choose where they live in Arthuria!

Actually, we'll take anyone who wants to emigrate too, provided you are of good character! ;)

And because the roadgeeks like this sort of stuff, here's the Arthurian highway network map:

jx8.png

Click to Embiggen!

Wes þú hál fram Miclian Arþura!

Joe 90

019-v.png

006-ynysporthe.png

There have always been a few things that have bugged me about my SC4 build of Mearcgæf, due to it being the pioneer of a different style for me. One of the main ones was the airport (first featured here). For a major hub airport, it was always a little small, being crammed into a medium tile. So I liberated a large city tile and, well, filled that up instead! So the new Eadric Anræd International now covers four times the area of the old version and I still can't fit the approach lights in!

01901.png
Click here for the obscenely large version!

01902.png

01903.png

01904.png

01905.png

01906a.png
01906b.png

01907.png

01908a.png
01908b.png
Terminal 7, also known as 'Terminal Z', is an extension of Terminal 1 built to accommodate the giant airships of the Geáned Luftscip Ástellende. The 'airborne ocean liners' currently in port are LZR-602 Burh of Axmynster and LZR-604 Burh of Silceaster.

01909a.png
01909b.png

01910a.png
01910b.png

01911a.png
01911b.png

01912.png
The airport is easily accessible through the rail network, with dedicated tram lines carrying passengers from the station to every terminal.

01913.png
Air traffic control lives between Terminals 4 and 5, right in the middle of everything.
01914a.png
01914b.png

01915a.png
01915b.png

01916.png

01917.png

01918.png
Longest of the long haulers.

01919.png

01920.png

01921.png

01922.png

01923.png

01925.png

Wes þú hál fram Mearcgræf!

Joe 90

018-v.png

016-ealdwych.png

By virtue of being founded on a small river island, modern Ealdwych effectively consists of three separate cities in very close proximity. You have seen the historic Old Town in the previous entry, which is flanked by Cuðbeckan to the northeast and Uestede to the southeast, across the Ærnan.

01801a.jpg01801b.jpg
Cuðbeckan is a great place to live or work for outdoors people, with Sæwlitig Beach and the Village Greens network nearby.

01802.jpg

01803.jpg
Bluefin Stadium is where the Ealdwych Bluefins take on the Arthurian Baseball League.

01804a.jpg01804b.jpg01804c.jpg01804d.jpg
These two meres (Four Kings Mere at the top, Erken Mere below it) form part of the extensive parkland network known as the Village Greens.
01805a.jpg01805b.jpg01805c.jpg01805d.jpg
Another section of the Village Greens, Hanstede Green and Wihtwaras Pool.

01806.jpg
Uestede lies across the River Ærnan from Old Town and Cuðbeckan.

01807a.jpg01807b.jpg01807c.jpg
Highway 2, the South Coast Highway, runs through Uestede.

01808a.jpg01808b.jpg
The Ealdwych Commodores (ice hockey) and Ealdwych Reds (basketball) make their home at the Cyneburh Centre, while the Ealdwych Clippers maintain a healthy rivalry with the Bluefins from Lammermuir Field.

01809.jpg

Wes þú hál fram Ealdwych!

Joe 90

Hér þréofon onblandan

<table border="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td width="110">017-v.png</td><td>

016-ealdwych.png

<br/>

Towards the end of its southward course, the great River Ærnan is closely accompanied by the smaller Cúðbeck as it flows down one of the Ærnan's old channels to the Gællan Strait. However the Ærnan wasn't quite ready to abandon that channel, and a branch known as the Norþeote caught the Cúðbeck just above the mouth, creating a good-sized island right on the coast. A great place to set up camp then, if you're worried about the intentions of the neighbouring kingdoms, concerned about rampaging heathen armies, or casting a suspicious eye towards the continent!</td></tr></table><br/>

01701a.jpg01701b.jpg<br/>

Arðuran Ísenwegas and Mægenweg 2 take road & rail traffic right into the central city.<br/><br/>

01702.jpg<br/><br/>01703.jpg<br/><br/>01704.jpg<br/>

As they say "Red/Sky in the morning, visitor's warning". The crowd is building at Three Rivers Stadium for the afternoon's AFG Premier League game between the sky blue & red of Ealdwych Old Town and visitors Lucan Excalibur.<br/><br/>

01705a.jpg01705b.jpg01705c.jpg<br/><br/>01706.jpg<br/>

Where the Norþeote (left) finally catches the Cúðbeck (right).<br/><br/>

01708a.jpg01708b.jpg<br/>

Built in 1447, the Ealdwych Burhfæsten protected the city from overly aggresive continental powers (mainly the Martelians) during the middle ages. Now, its one of the main tourist attractions and a popular movie set for medieval epics.<br/><br/>

Joe 90

Þá Burh of Seglas

<table border="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td width="110">016-v.png</td><td>

016-ealdwych.png

<br/>

Slight change of plan - nothing to do with my recent glacial rate of development... OK, it's completely to do with my glacial rate of development, so sorry to those who were still looking forward to visiting the capital. Instead, because nothing is really ready, I'll have to start with work-in-progress updates. Hope you enjoy these instead!<br/><br/>

So instead of crossing the Ærnan at Marceaster, we have taken a right turn and headed downstream to the City of Sails, Ealdwych.<br/>

One of the very earliest Cimbric settlements, possibly built over an even older Arthish town, Ealdwych grew and prospered as the large-vessel port for the early Æscing capital of Marceaster, where cargo was transferred onto riverine vessels for transport upstream. The wealth generated from this trade did not go unnoticed, as the Varings pillaged the city and surroundings on numerous occasions in the 8th and 9th centuries. The movement of the capital to Witanceaster in 1350, along with better port facilities in Ineceaster to the south and the Leithanfirth to the north, spelled the end of Ealdwych as a major port, with the city languishing as a minor provincial centre well into the 18th century.<br/>

The winds of change, or rather the steady breezes of the Gællan Straits, finally began to smile on Ealdwych with the rise in popularity of recreational sailing in the 19th century. The city has developed into the home of the Æscgearding yachting industry and home port of the successful Sædracan yachting syndicate. The former port, for so long a symbol of failed dreams, has been totally rebuilt into the largest marina in Æscgeard with a thriving and largely marine-oriented economy based on it.</td></tr></table><br/>

01601a.jpg01601b.jpg<br/><br/>

01602a.jpg01602b.jpg01602c.jpg<br/><br/>

01603a.jpg01603b.jpg01603c.jpg01603d.jpg<br/><br/>

01604u.jpg<br/><br/>

01605.jpg<br/><br/>

01606.jpg<br/>

Tall ships always seem to capture the imagination when they're in port. L-R Brimwurþung, Gewis Caster, Feorþ Áfindan, and Troian.

<br/><br/>

01607.jpg<br/><br/>

01608.jpg<br/>

As with most places with a dock, the King's Navy often drops in for a visit, as with these two Bréman-class destroyers.

<br/><br/>

01609.jpg<br/><br/>

01610a.jpg<br/><br/>

Joe 90

<table border="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td width="110">AOA-v3a.png<br/>AOA-v3b.png<br/>AOA-v3c.png</td><td>

annals750.jpg

<br/>

600.png3.png50.png<br/>

This year King Ermenwald was slain, and Swithun began to build that minster at Afonhæg.<br/><br/>

600.png4.png50.png<br/>

This year, the Dæccans under King Ælfhelm received the right belief. This year also died Archbishop Marcinius, on the thirtieth of September.<br/><br/>

600.png5.png50.png<br/>

This year Ælfhelm was deprived of his kingdom.<br/><br/>

600.png6.png50.png<br/>

This year Eahlmund, king of the Emnetings, was slain by Sigewald, king of the Norðengings, at Mirdon, on the fifth day of August; and his body was buried at Aðerton. His holiness and miracles were afterwards displayed on manifold occasions throughout this island; and his hands remain still uncorrupted at Folmhale. The same year in which Eahlmund was slain, Ælfræd succeeded to the government of the Emnetings, and reigned twenty-three years.<br/><br/>

600.png7.png50.png<br/>

This year was Léoduine slain; and Léodræd, son of Léodhere, succeeded to the kingdom of the Middanings. In his time waxed the abbey of Meringsted very rich, which his brother had begun. The king loved it much, for the love of his brother Léoduine, and for the love of his wed-brother Osueard, and for the love of Seaxweard the abbot. He said, therefore, that he would dignify and honour it by the counsel of his brother, Léodwulf; and by the counsel of his sisters, Eahlburga and Eahlswiða; and by the counsel of the archbishop, who was called Siricus; and by the counsel of all his peers, learned and lewd, that in his kingdom were. And he so did. Then sent the king after the abbot, that he should immediately come to him. And he so did. Then said the king to the abbot: "Beloved Seaxweard, I have sent after thee for the good of my soul; and I will plainly tell thee for why. My brother Léoduine and my beloved friend Osueard began a minster, for the love of Christ and St. Peter: but my brother, as Christ willed, is departed from this life; I will therefore intreat thee, beloved friend, that they earnestly proceed on their work; and I will find thee thereto gold and silver, land and possessions, and all that thereto behoveth." Then went the abbot home, and began to work. So he sped, as Christ permitted him; so that in a few years was that minster ready. Then, when the king heard say that, he was very glad; and bade men send through all the nation, after all his thegns; after the archbishop, and after bishops: and after his earls; and after all those that loved God; that they should come to him. And he fixed the day when men should hallow the minster. And when they were hallowing the minster, there was the King, Léodræd, and his brother Léodwulf, and his sisters, Eahlburga and Eahlswitha. And the minster was hallowed by Archbishop Siricus of Eanceaster; and the Bishop of Hale, Þeomar; and the Bishop of Marceaster, who was called Riciberht; and the Bishop of the Middanings, whose name was Uine; and Bishop Feilan. And there was Wilfrid, priest, that after was bishop; and there were all his thegns that were in his kingdom. When the minster was hallowed, in the name of St. Peter, and St. Paul, and St. Andrew, then stood up the king before all his thegns, and said with a loud voice: "Thanks be to the high almighty God for this worship that here is done; and I will this day glorify Christ and St. Peter, and I will that you all confirm my words. – I Léodræd give to-day to St. Peter, and the Abbot Seaxweard, and the monks of the minster, these lands, and these waters, and meres, and fens, and weirs, and all the lands that thereabout lye, that are of my kingdom, freely, so that no man have there any ingress, but the abbot and the monks. This is the gift. From Meringsted to Northbury; and so to the place that is called Mareys; and so all the fen, right to Newdike; and from Newdike to the place called Fethermoor; and so in a right line ten miles long to Aldike; and so to Rawell; and from Rawell five miles to the main river that goeth to Elm; and thence six miles to Paxlane; and so forth through all the meres and fens that lye toward Huntingdon, and all the others that thereabout lye; with land and with houses that are on the east side of Huntingdon; thence all the fens to Meringsted; from Meringsted all to Earlton; from Earlton to Stamborough; from Stamborough as the water runneth to the aforesaid Northbury." – These are the lands and the fens that the king gave unto St. Peter's minster. – Then quoth the king: "It is little – this gift – but I will that they hold it so royally and so freely, that there be taken there from neither gild nor gable, but for the monks alone. Thus I will free this minster; that it be not subject except to Rome alone; and hither I will that we seek St. Peter, all that to Rome cannot go." During these words the abbot desired that he would grant him his request. And the king granted it. "I have here (said he) some good monks that would lead their life in retirement, if they wist where. Now here is an island, that is called Ancærey; and I will request, that we may there build a minster to the honour of St. Mary; that they may dwell there who will lead their lives in peace and tranquillity." Then answered the king, and quoth thus: "Beloved Seaxweard, not that only which thou desirest, but all things that I know thou desirest in our Lord's behalf, so I approve, and grant. And I bid thee, brother Léodwulf, and my sisters, Eahlburga and Eahlswitha, for the release of your souls, that you be witnesses, and that you subscribe it with your fingers. And I pray all that come after me, be they my sons, be they my brethren, or kings that come after me, that our gift may stand; as they would be partakers of the life everlasting, and as they would avoid everlasting punishment. Whoso lesseneth our gift, or the gift of other good men, may the heavenly porter lessen him in the kingdom of heaven; and whoso advanceth it, may the heavenly porter advance him in the kingdom of heaven." These are the witnesses that were there, and that subscribed it with their fingers on the cross of Christ, and confirmed it with their tongues. That was, first the king, Léodræd, who confirmed it first with his word, and afterwards wrote with his finger on the cross of Christ, saying thus: "I Léodræd, king, in the presence of kings, and of æþelings, and of earls, and of thegns, the witnesses of my gift, before the Archbishop Siricus, I confirm it with the cross of Christ." (+) – "And I Ecgberht, king, the friend of this minster, and of the Abbot Seaxweard, commend it with the cross of Christ." (+) – "And I Ælfræd, king, ratify it with the cross of Christ." (+) – "And I Fréabrand, king, subscribe it with the cross of Christ." (+) – "And I Léodwulf, the king's brother, granted the same with the cross of Christ." (+) – "And we, the king's sisters, Eahlburga and Eahlswitha, approve it." – "And I Archbishop of Eanceaster, Siricus, ratify it." – Then confirmed it all the others that were there with the cross of Christ (+): namely, Þeomar, Bishop of Hale; Riciberht, Bishop of Marceaster; Uine, Bishop of Silceaster; and Feilan, bishop; and Wilfrid, priest, who was afterwards bishop; and Eohha, priest, whom the king, Léodræd, sent to preach christianity in the Vale of Mawr; and Seaxweard, abbot; and Ammin, ealdorman, and Eadberht, ealdorman, and Herewahl, ealdorman, and Waldberht, ealdorman, and Eabo, ealdorman; Æþelnoð, Bridei, Wihtberht, Eahlmor, Freðewine. These, and many others that were there, the king's most loyal subjects, confirmed it all. This charter was written after our Lord's Nativity.<br/><br/>

600.png8.png50.png<br/>

This year Ecgberht fought with the Arthish at Pen, and pursued them to the Westærc.<br/><br/>

600.png60.png<br/>

This year Bishop Riciberht departed from Ecgberht; and Uinehelm held the bishopric three years. And Riciberht accepted the bishopric of Lutetia, in Gaella, by the Seyn.</td></tr></table>

Joe 90

014rxm.jpg

You might have noticed over past updates that each picture’s caption has been accompanied by three shields. They depict the country, province, and shire that we’re in, and give a small taste of the rich traditions that underpin the countryside and become embedded in national and regional flags. So as we head northeast from Mearcgræf, I’ll give you a quick run-down of the national flags and arms of Æscgeard, which you may see flying from buildings on our trip, and you will definitely see at our destination!

Grand Royal Coat of Arms of Æscgeard

ASCGrandRoyal400.png

In its basic form, the Coat of Arms of Æscgeard was adopted upon the creation of the unified Kingdom in 1350. Over time, and particularly during the Middle Ages, the arms became more and more elaborate until they reached their current form sometime in the 17th century.

The Coat of Arms is blazoned as follows:

Quartered by a cross pattée argent fimbrated or, I gules three seaxes fesswise in pale proper (for Æsccynn); II azure a cross flory or (for Middansætna); III quartered gules and azure four roundels argent in lozenge (for the Sicambri); IV paly in eight or and gules (for Norðengria); overall an escutcheon gules, in the chief two coronets or, in the base a wyvern or (for the Royal House of Æsc).

The escutcheon is surrounded first by the chain of the Order of Saint Michael and then by the chain of the Order of Saint Cerdic, together known as the Cynelic Háda, flanked by the medallions of the Order of Wihthelm and Order of Saint Meurig.

Atop the escutcheon is the Sigor Cynehelm.

The supporters are two angels, acting as heralds to St. Cerdic, carrying a standard with the arms of St. Cerdic, and wearing a tabard with the same arms, standing on puffs of cloud.

Above is a pavilion armoyé with the Sigor Cynehelm. From it is a royal red mantle with a semis of crosses argent.

The motto “FORÞRYNE TÓ WULDOR" (“Onward to Glory”) is written in white on a red ribbon.

Notes:

• The Sigor Cynehelm (Victory Crown) was commissioned for the coronation of Þeodræd Sigoriend after the Væstrríjka was conquered in 1350. After the death of his father Þeodric in the decisive Battle of Anlaf’s Fold, Þeodræd rapidly moved to legally merge the three kingdoms of Æsccynn, Middansætna, and Emnet he had inherited, commissioning the new crown as the symbol of royal authority in the newly united Kingdom of Æscgeard.
  • St. Cerdic Martír, the patron saint of Æscgeard, was King of Æsccynn from 863-868. The son of the illustrious Cyneberht Mære, the popular young King’s murder at Godcunsell was described in the Annals of Arthuria as "no worse deed than this was ever done in the Cimbric nations since they first sought the land of Arthuria." His body was later recovered to Eanceaster, and he was eventually buried in the Æscing capital of Marceaster with his forefathers. His veneration was promoted by his nephew, Eadueard Ealdor, during his long reign and Cerdic was later canonised and became the patron saint of the House of Æsc and their realms.

Royal Standard of the House of Æsc

RoyalFlag-300.png

The Royal Standard is the flag form of the shield of the coat of arms. It may only be flown from palaces and royal ships when the King or his near family are in residence, and from the Witan when the King is addressing the gemot.

Æscgearding National Flag & Ensign

100100-300.png

23px-FIAV_100100.svg.png

The national flag of Æscgeard features a gold wyvern on red, which has been a symbol of the ruling House of Æsc since its foundation, together with a red crusader cross. The flag was first flown in 1350 after the formation of Æscgeard as a unified Kingdom and has remained unchanged since. It can be flown pretty much anywhere by anyone, and is also used as a jack on King’s Navy ships.

Æscgearding State Flag & Ensign

010010-300.png

23px-FIAV_010010.svg.png

The state flag is derived from the national flag, with the Lesser Arms of Æscgeard replacing the wyvern. Representing the Witan, it may only be flown from non-military government buildings and ships.

Æscgearding War Flag

001000-300.png

23px-FIAV_001000.svg.png

The war flag of Æscgeard is a gold saltire on red, and is restricted to use by the army. A variation of St. Cerdic’s Cross (a gold cross on red is the accepted flag of St. Cerdic, which can be flown by the general populace), the shade of red used is also much darker than that used on civil flags. This darker red is also used in other military flags and insignia, and has become widely known as ‘fierding réod’ (‘military red’). The flag is also flown inferior to the state flag on non-military government buildings when the country is in a state of war.

Æscgearding Naval Ensign

000001-300.png

23px-FIAV_000001.svg.png

The naval ensign is a combination of the Crusader Cross and the army variant of St. Cerdic’s Cross, indicating its original role as both a fighting force in its own right and transport abroad for the army. Its use is restricted to King's Navy ships and shore establishments of the Admiralty. The ensign is also used by King’s Navy ships nominally belonging to the other four Arthurian nations1, although these ships fly their respective national flags as jacks.

1. The Arthurian Naval Defense Treaty vests responsibility for the protection of territorial waters and other naval operations of the five Arthurian nations in the King's Navy (Æscgeard). In return, the four smaller nations provide funding, manpower, and ships to the King's Navy.

Æscgearding Air Force Ensign & Roundel

AirEnsign-300.pngASCroundel.png

The Air Force roundel features St. Cerdic’s Cross within a gold-bordered ‘fierding réod’ disc, and is used to identify Æscgearding military aircraft. The Air Force Ensign is a ‘fierding réod’ version of the national flag, with the roundel in place of the wyvern. It may only be flown from Air Force establishments.

Wes þu hál fram forhwær in Wesdonscír!

Joe 90

<table border="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td width="110">AOA-v6a.png<br/>AOA-v6b.png<br/>AOA-v6a.png<br/>AOA-v6b.png</td><td>

annals750.jpg

<br/>

600.png2.png30.png<br/>

This year was Beorhthere baptised.<br/><br/>

600.png4.png30.png<br/>

This year King Sigebald was slain by Léodric and Eamer, on Holen Moor, on the fourteenth of October. He reigned six years. His son Sigewulf was also slain with him. After this Léodric and Eamer went and ravaged all the lands of the Norðengings; which when Marcinius saw, he took Æþelburga, the relict of Sigebald, and went by ship to Sæbeorg. Elchwald and Allemius received him very honourably, and gave him the bishopric of Hale, where he continued to his Death.<br/><br/>

600.png5.png30.png<br/>

This year Eahlmund, whom Marcinius baptised, succeeded to the government of Emnet. He was the son of Ælfric, the brother of Ælfstan. And to Arconsæt succeeded Fréawulf, son of Fréastan. This year also Bishop Riminus first preached baptism to the Æscings, under King Ælfstan. The said Riminus went thither by the command of Pope Honorius; and he was bishop there to the end of his life. Ealdwine also this year succeeded to the government of the Sæbeorgings, and reigned ten winters.<br/><br/>

600.png6.png30.png<br/>

This year died Archbishop Allemius.<br/><br/>

600.png7.png30.png<br/>

This year King Ælfstan was baptised by Bishop Riminus at Marceaster; and Eamer, king of the Emnetings, was his sponsor. Bishop Feilan also preached to the East Arthish the belief of Christ.<br/><br/>

600.png8.png30.png<br/>

This year King Ælfhelm was baptised at Marceaster, and died the same year. And Marcinius was invested bishop of Norðengria, by Archbishop Justus, on the twelfth day before the calends of August.<br/><br/>

600.png9.png30.png<br/>

This year Osuald, with the consent of the Æscing council, deprived Beornhelm, his relative, for unrighteous deeds, of his kingdom, except Wesdonscir; which he retained, until he slew the ealdorman who remained the longest with him. Then Osuald drove him to the forest of Fealholt, where he remained, until a swain stabbed him at Deptrea, and revenged the ealdorman, Cædwiu. The same Osuald fought many hard battles with the Arthish; and, about one and ten winters after he had the kingdom, he was desirous of expelling an æþeling called Cynbeorn, who was the son of Beornhelm. But he having understood that the king was gone, thinly attended, on a visit to a lady at Leahdon, rode after him, and beset him therein; surrounding the town without, ere the attendants of the king were aware of him. When the king found this, he went out of doors, and defended himself with courage; till, having looked on the æþeling, he rushed out upon him, and wounded him severely. Then were they all fighting against the king, until they had slain him. As soon as the king's thegns in the lady's bower heard the tumult, they ran to the spot, whoever was then ready. The æþeling immediately offered them life and rewards; which none of them would accept, but continued fighting together against him, till they all lay dead, except one Arthish hostage, and he was severely wounded. When the king's thegns that were behind heard in the morning that the king was slain, they rode to the spot, Osric his ealdorman, and Wulferð his thegn, and the men that he had left behind; and they met the æþeling at the town, where the king lay slain. The gates, however, were locked against them, which they attempted to force; but he promised them their own choice of money and land, if they would grant him the kingdom; reminding them, that their relatives were already with him, who would never desert him. To which they answered, that no relative could be dearer to them than their lord, and that they would never follow his murderer. Then they besought their relatives to depart from him, safe and sound. They replied, that the same request was made to their comrades that were formerly with the king; "And we are as regardless of the result," they rejoined, "as our comrades who with the king were slain." Then they continued fighting at the gates, till they rushed in, and slew the æþeling and all the men that were with him; except one, who was the godson of the ealdorman, and whose life he spared, though he was often wounded. This same Osuald reigned one and ten winters. His body lies at Marceaster, and that of the æþeling at Ealdwych. Their paternal pedigree goeth in a direct line to Æsc. This year also Riminus baptised King Oswine at Dean, and received him as his son.<br/><br/>

600.png2.png40.png<br/>

This year King Osuald was baptised.<br/><br/>

600.png3.png40.png<br/>

This year Osuald fought at Darford by the Ærnan.<br/><br/>

600.png4.png40.png<br/>

This year died Elchwald, King of Sæbeorg, after a reign of twenty-four winters. He had three sons, Elchræd and Elchmund and Elchbrand; who reigned there after their father. He overturned all the idols in the kingdom, and first of Cimbric kings appointed a fast before Easter. His daughter was called Elchfleda – holy damsel of an illustrious sire! whose mother was Winburga, the daughter of Wihtred, King of Middansætna. This year also died at Hale, on the tenth of October, Marcinius, who was first Archbishop at Axmynster, and afterwards at Hale. He was bishop twenty-four winters, two months, and one and twenty days.<br/><br/>

600.png5.png40.png<br/>

This year King Ealdwine was slain, and King Elchræd was driven from his dominion by King Osuald.<br/><br/>

600.png7.png40.png<br/>

This year Léodhere was slain at Fenmere, and thirty royal personages with him, some of whom were æþelings. One of them was Eahlræd, son of Eahlmund, king of the Emnetings. The Middanings after this became Christians.<br/><br/>

600.png8.png40.png<br/>

This year Osuald gave his relation Ælfuald three thousand hides of land by Esdown. Ælfuald was the son of Ælfbrand, Ælfbrand of Ælfstan.<br/><br/>

600.png9.png40.png<br/>

This year Léoduine began to reign; and reigned thirty winters. Léoduine was the son of Léodhere, Léodhere of Léodric, Léodric of Wihthelm, Wihthelm of Eahlstan, Eahlstan of Elchwine, Elchwine of Elchhelm, Elchhelm of Elchhere, Elchhere of Esla, Esla of Esa, Esa of Eomen, Eomen of Angeleon, Angeleon of Orra, Orra of Wehrmund, Wehrmund of Wulflæg, Wulflæg of Wihtlæg, Wihtlæg of Woden. From the beginning of the world had now elapsed five thousand eight hundred and forty-four winters, when Léoduine, the son of Léodhere, assumed the government of the Middanings. In his time came together himself and Osueard, nephew of King Osuald, and said, that they would rear a minster to the glory of Christ, and the honour of St. Peter. And they did so, and gave it the name of Meringsted; because there is a well there, called Merewell. And they began the groundwall, and wrought thereon; after which they committed the work to a monk, whose name was Seaxweard. He was very much the friend of God, and him also loved all people. He was nobly born in the world, and rich: he is now much richer with Christ. This year Þeomar, Bishop of Hale, consecrated Siricus to Eanceaster, on the twenty-sixth day of March.<br/><br/>

600.png50.png<br/>

This year King Osuald perished, on the twentieth day of August; and within twelve nights afterwards died Bishop Aédan, on the thirty-first of August. His nephew Ecgberht succeeded to the kingdom, and held it thirty winters. This Ecgberht ordered the old church at Marceaster to be built in the name of St. Peter, and founded the monastery of Ehtanbury; after which he went to Rome, and continued there to the end of his life. He was the son of Ælfhelm. This year also Riciberht, from Gaella, after Riminus the Romish bishop, obtained the bishopric of the Æscings.

</td></tr></table>

Joe 90

001-mearcgraef.png

So this is what happens when you orphan a bunch of pictures - they didn't really 'fit' in any of the other updates, so as we prepare to leave Mearcgræf they find themselves here :)

01201g.jpg

01202i.jpg

01203q.jpg

01204.jpg

You may recall that Níwehythe took over as the main port of the Mearcgræf metropolitan area around 80 years ago. This is what's left of Mearcgræfport, the former docks.

01205.jpg

01206.jpg

01207.jpg

Joe 90

<table border="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td width="110">AOA-v2a.jpg<br/>AOA-v2b.jpg<br/>AOA-v2a.jpg</td><td>

annals750.jpg

<br/>

600.png8.png<br/>

This year Friðgar, King of Emnet, was slain in battle with Sigemund; and St. Æþelðriða began that monastery at Ile.<br/><br/>

600.png9.png<br/>

This year Léodric succeeded to the government in Middansætna, and held it forty winters. Léodric was the son of Wihthelm, Wihthelm of Eahlstan, Eahlstan of Elchwine, Elchwine of Elchhelm, Elchhelm of Elchhere, Elchhere of Esla, Esla of Esa.<br/><br/>

600.png3.png10.png<br/>

This year Æþelstan and Fréawine entered into a treaty, and ever there was friendship between the people of Æsc and the people of Earcon.<br/><br/>

600.png4.png10.png<br/>

This year Æþelstan and Ælfstan fought at Camborne, and slew two thousand and forty-six of the Arthish. This year also Sigemund, King of Norðengria, perished. His nephew Beornwulf, the son of Sigewulf, then succeeded to the kingdom.<br/><br/>

600.png6.png10.png<br/>

This year was Friðuwulf, king of the Emnetings, slain by Beornwulf, king of the Norðengings; and Sigeric, the son of Sigemund, having succeeded to the kingdom, subdued all the northern marches, except the men of Inbhir Adh alone, and drove out the æþelings, the sons of Friðuwulf, Friðubrand and Friðuwine, and of Wihtgar, namely, Wihtgils, Wihtræd, and Wihtlaf. This year also Fréastan succeeded to the kingdom of Arconsæt. He was the son of Fréawine, Fréawine of Fréabald, Fréabald of Fréahelm, Fréahelm of Fréagar, Fréagar of Fréaric, Fréaric of Fréawald, Fréawald of Fréon, Fréon of Earcon.<br/><br/>

600.png20.png<br/>

This year came Immin from Ælfric, king of Emnet, with a design to assassinate King Sigeric; but he killed Wulfsige his thegn, and Freðhere, and wounded the king. The same night a daughter was born to Sigeric, whose name was Sigeburga. Then promised the king to Marcinius, that he would devote his daughter to God, if he would procure at the hand of God, that he might destroy his enemy, who had sent the assassin to him. He then advanced against the Emnetings with an army, and felled on the spot King Ælfric, and five ealdoremen, and slew many of their men. This year Sigeburga, the daughter of King Sigeric, was baptised, on the holy eve of Pentecost. And the king within twelve months was baptised, at Easter, with all his people. This was done at Axmynster, where he had ordered a church to be built of timber, which was hallowed in the name of St. Peter. There the king gave the bishopric to Marcinius; and there he afterwards ordered a larger church to be built of stone.<br/><br/>

600.png2.png20.png<br/>

This year died Æþelstan, King of the Æscings, on the fifteenth day before the calends of March; and Ælfstan his son reigned after him.<br/><br/>

600.png3.png20.png<br/>

This year Cambula, the mass-priest, came to the Curths, and converted them to the belief of Christ. They are the dwellers by the northern moors. And their king gave him the island of Ce, consisting of five hides, as they say, where Cambula built a monastary. There he was abbot two and thirty winters; and there he died, when he was seventy-seven years old. The place his successors yet have. The Southern Curths were baptised by Bishop Hannius, who was taught at Rome. His church or monastery is at Hecirc, hallowed in the name of St. Martin, where he resteth with many holy men. Now, therefore, shall there be ever in Ce an abbot, and no bishop; and to him shall be subject all the bishops of the Curths; because Columba was an abbot – no bishop.<br/><br/>

600.png5.png20.png<br/>

This year was King Ælfstan of Emnet baptised at Easter, with all his people, by Marcinius, who also preached baptism in Dál Íeran, where the first person who believed was a certain rich man, of the name of Eògan, with all his people. At this time Honorius succeeded Boniface in the papacy, and sent hither to Marcinius the pall; and Archbishop Celestinus having departed this life on the tenth of November, Gallanius was consecrated at Lawstow Archbishop of Eanceaster by Marcinius; and Pope Honorius sent him the pall. And he sent an injunction to the Curths, that they should return to the right celebration of Easter.<br/><br/>

600.png8.png20.png<br/>

This year Ælfstan fought with Léodric at Norham, and afterwards entered into a treaty there. The same year also, Eamer, the king of the Emnetings, and his subjects besought King Léodric to give them peace and protection against the terror of the Norðengings; whose king, Sigeric, they slew in the course of the same year.<br/><br/>

600.png1.png30.png<br/>

This year died Erkenwald, king of Sæbeorg, the first of Cimbric kings that received baptism: he was the son of Erkenhelm. He reigned thirty-three winters, and was succeeded by his nephew Ealdhelm. And in this same year had elapsed from the beginning of the world five thousand eight hundred and twenty-six winters. This Ealdhelm renounced his baptism, and lived in a heathen manner. Then Gallanius, who was archbishop in Sæbeorg, meant to depart southward over sea, and abandon everything. But there came to him in the night the apostle Peter, and severely chastised him, because he would so desert the flock of God. And he charged him to go to the king, and teach him the right belief. And he did so; and the king returned to the right belief. In this king's days the same Gallanius, departed this life on the second of October, and was buried near Augustine. The holy Augustine in his lifetime invested him bishop, to the end that the church of Christ, which yet was new in Arthuria, should at no time after his decease be without an archbishop. After him Allemius, who was first Bishop of Glowanceaster, succeeded to the archbishopric. The people of Glowanceaster, where Allemius was before, were then heathens: and within five winters of this time, during the reign of Fréawulf, Allemius died. To him succeeded Justus, who was Bishop of Silceaster, whereto he consecrated Lucianus bishop.

</td></tr></table>

Joe 90

<table border="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td width="110">010-v.png</td><td>

010-arworth.png

<br/><br/>

Mearcgræf might be the biggest city in Æscgeard, but it is not the capital, or even the capital of its province, Ealdoresmearc. But it can claim to be a capital of sorts, even though it lost that status over 1100 years ago.<br/>

In the Cimbric invasions of the 5th century, the people of Earcon settled the coastal regions under the shadow of the Dæccan Mountains. As the Æscings extended their influence across much of what is now Ealdoresmearc, the Earconings made peace with them, and pledged to defend both peoples from western raiders. So it was that the Kingdom of Arconsæt survived, and Fréawald, the first king, established his fortress on the hill where the Citadel of Mearcgræf currently stands. Little now remains of the early settlement, but an astounding number of historical artifacts and monuments have survived through de facto protection from the church.<br/>

The Earconingas National Historic Site, situated just across Lake Arcon from the Citadel hill, contains the ruins of several early Earconing churches, and the remarkably preserved Arconsæting royal burial grounds, within a traditional ditch-and-bank enclosure. All of this lay for centuries under the control of the Priory of Earcon, whose church and chapel occupied the site of a former meeting hall. The first church, a small wooden structure of which nothing now remains, was built by King Fréawulf around the year 640, and appears to have been periodically rebuilt over the next few centuries until King Fréabrand constructed a stone church in honour of St. Cehha on the site in 806, the ruins of which are clearly visible today.<br/>

Records tell us that as many as 15 kings of Arconsæt were buried in the church grounds, although only nine of the distinctive burial mounds remain. Of these, only four have been identified with any certainty as belonging to Kings Fréawine (reigned 696-704), Fréawald (809-814), Fréaric (836-840), and the last king, Fréastan (884-892). After the death of Fréastan, Arconsæt was annexed into the Æscing kingdom.<br/>

The site and surrounding land and village of Arworth were vested in the church by royal proclamation in 931, and the Priory was well established there by 1000. The Priors held the land in the name of Earcon, St. Cehha, and the King for over 900 years, until the priory church and outbuildings burned down in 1959, at which point the priory elected to move to a new location, and the land was gifted to the Historic Monuments Office.<br/>

Although now administered as a Category I National Historic Site, the Priory retains guardianship of its spiritual home, and it is not uncommon to see Priors tending the grounds to this day. The Kingdom of Arconsæt is also remembered in the name of the scír surrounding Mearcgræf, which comprises the eastern half of the old kingdom.</td></tr></table><br/>

01001aq.jpg

01001b.jpg

01001c.jpg<br/><br/>

01002zs.jpg<br/>

Built in 806, St. Cehha's Old Church, also known as Fréabrand's Stone Church, is one of the oldest surviving buildings in Arthuria.

<br/><br/>

01003sv.jpg<br/>

The ruined Priory is as well cared for now as it was when it was in use.

<br/><br/>

01004.jpg<br/>

Mound 5 (lower left) has been identified as probably belonging to King Fréaric (reigned 836-840); while the occupant of Mound 6 (upper right) is as yet unidentified.

<br/><br/>

01005j.jpg<br/>

The Priory once considered building a wall to keep the Varings out, but it was never finished and, fortunately, never needed.

<br/><br/>

01006p.jpg<br/>

"Here once stood a nation..."

<br/><br/>

01007n.jpg<br/>

Built on a corner of the former Priory grounds, outside the ruins proper, to replace the burnt down church, stands St. Cehha's New Church. This makes it the eighth church dedicated to St. Cehha on this site that we know of.

<br/><br/>

01008k.jpg<br/>

The oldest area of Arworth is covered by a separate HMO category listing.

<br/><br/>

01009a.jpg

01009bn.jpg<br/><br/>

Wes þú hál fram Arworth!

Joe 90

<table border="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td width="110">AOA-v5a.png<br/>AOA-v5a.png<br/>AOA-v5b.png</td><td>

annals750.jpg

<br/>

500.png1.png80.png<br/>

This year Erkenhere, the son of Erkenbrand, succeeded to the Kingdom of Sæbeorg.<br/><br/>

500.png3.png80.png<br/>

This year Mauricius succeeded to the empire of the Romans.<br/><br/>

500.png4.png80.png<br/>

This year Æþelstan and Æþeluine fought with the Arthins on the spot that is called Stanherne. There Æþeluine was slain. And Æþelstan took many towns, as well as immense booty and wealth. He then retreated to his own people.<br/><br/>

500.png6.png80.png<br/>

This year Sigeræd and Ælfræd fought with the Arthins, and slew three kings, Ammigern, and Pelaccus, and Toginius, on the spot that is called Mearcham, and took from them three cities, Polgarw, Olceaster, and Burgnæss.<br/><br/>

500.png7.png80.png<br/>

This year died King Æþelhelm; and Æþelbrand reigned after him two years.<br/><br/>

500.png1.png90.png<br/>

This year there was a great slaughter of Arthins at Arborough; Æþelbrand departed this earth, and Sigebrand reigned five years after him.<br/><br/>

500.png2.png90.png<br/>

This year Gregory succeeded to the papacy at Rome.<br/><br/>

500.png4.png90.png<br/>

This year died Sigebrand, and Cædnoð, and Croda; and Sigewulf succeeded to the kingdom of the Norðengings. He was the son of Æþelbrand; Æþelbrand of Beornhelm.<br/><br/>

500.png6.png90.png<br/>

This year Pope Gregory sent Augustine to Arthuria with very many monks, to preach the word of God to the Cimbric people. <br/><br/>

500.png7.png90.png<br/>

This year came Augustine and his companions to Arthuria.<br/><br/>

600.png<br/>

This year Áedén, king of the Cathrans, fought with Sigewulf, king of the Norðengings, at Teestan; where he lost almost all his army. Sigewald also, brother of Sigewulf, with his whole armament, was slain. None of the Cathran kings durst afterwards bring an army against this nation. Haschad, the son of Hasca, led the army thither.<br/><br/>

600.png1.png<br/>

This year Pope Gregory sent the pall to Archbishop Augustine in Arthuria, with very many learned doctors to assist him; and Bishop Marianus converted Erkenhelm, king of the Sæbeorgings, to baptism.<br/><br/>

600.png3.png<br/>

This year died Wihthelm, who was King in Middansætna. He was succeeded by Wihtræd his son.<br/><br/>

600.png4.png<br/>

This year Augustine consecrated two bishops, Allemius and Justus. Allemius he sent to preach baptism to the Wuffings. Their king was called Beorhtmund, the son of Aricola, Æthelstan’s sister, whom Æthelstan placed there as king. Æthelstan also gave Allemius the bishopric of Glowanceaster; and to Justus he gave the bishopric of Marceaster.<br/><br/>

600.png6.png<br/>

This year died Gregory; about ten years since he sent us baptism. His father was called Gordianus, and his mother Silvia.<br/><br/>

600.png7.png<br/>

This year Æþelstan fought with the Sæbeorgings. And Sigemund led his army to Chardain, where he slew an innumerable host of the Arthins; and so was fulfilled the prophecy of Augustine, wherein he saith "If the Arthish will not have peace with us, they shall perish at the hands of the Cimbrians." There were also slain two hundred priests, who came thither to pray for the army of the Arthish. Their leader was called Broccan, who with some fifty men escaped thence.

</td></tr></table>

Joe 90

<table border="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td width="110">008-v.png</td><td>

008-niwehythe.png

<br/>

Across the harbour from Ynys Porthe and the airport is the seaport of Níwehythe, the main shipping docks for Glowanceaster and the Mearcgræf metropolitan area. For centuries, the wharves only serviced the fishing fleet and other small vessels, as the relatively shallow harbour meant larger ships, both civil and naval, had trouble with grounding. With the increase in shipping through the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries, the deeper, but smaller Mearcgræfport was increasingly unable to cope with the number of ships. A perfect solution was found in the early 1920s, when it was agreed that the huge requirement for fill material for the new airport at Ynys Porthe would come out of the harbour, creating the large, deep anchorage the growing city desperately needed.</td></tr></table>

<br/><br/>

00801j.jpg

<br/><br/>

00802.jpg

<br/><br/>

00803a.jpg00803b.jpg00803c.jpg00803d.jpg00803e.jpg00803f.jpg<br/><br/>

00804a.jpg00804b.jpg<br/>

The naval station ÐCS Carlow is primarily a training establishment thesedays, with ÐCS Tamar near Ineceaster being home port for the southern fleet. It also serves as a resupply station for naval patrols, as with this destroyer flotilla currently in port: (L-R) ÐCS Ábædan (D-66), ÐCS Gedyrstan (D-72), ÐCS Bréman (D-63), ÐCS Áníedan (D-67), ÐCS Réocan (D-64).

<br/><br/>

00805.jpg<br/>

The pride of the King's Navy, the battlecruiser ÐCS Tíw earned a reputation for near-invincibility during World War II, as she managed to sink or disable larger and more powerful Axis warships on several occasions. She earned 17 battle honours, the most by any non-American warship, making Tíw the most celebrated name in the navy with 33 honours overall. Still the King's Navy's nominal flagship, the Tíw is effectively a working museum ship, and travels extensively on goodwill missions around Arthuria and the world.

<br/><br/>

00806a.jpg00806b.jpg<br/>

The Memorial Wharf, located on the King's Navy's old battlecruiser dock, is dedicated to the sailors of the Second World War. Each tree remembers one of the Níwehythe-based warships of the era, and the crews who sailed with them.

<br/><br/>

00807a.jpg00807b.jpg00807c.jpg00807d.jpg<br/><br/>

Wes þú hál fram Níwehythe!

Joe 90

<table border="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td width="110">AOA-v1a.png<br/>AOA-v1a.png<br/>AOA-v1b.png</td><td>

annals750.jpg

<br/>

400.png2.png80.png<br/>

This year the blessed Abbot Benedict shone in this world, by the splendour of those virtues which the blessed Gregory records in the book of Dialogues.<br/><br/>

400.png3.png80.png<br/>

This year came the people of Earcon into Arthuria, with three ships, at the place that is called Frehithe. And Fréawald fought with the Arthins, and put them to flight.<br/><br/>

400.png5.png80.png<br/>

This year Elesa fought with the Arthins nigh Burnsted.<br/><br/>

400.png7.png80.png<br/>

This year died Wini; and men buried him at Dean.<br/><br/>

400.png90.png<br/>

This year Occa began his reign; from whom first arose the royal kindred of the Emnetings. Occa was the son of Eoppa, Eoppa of Alloc, Alloc of Beda, Beda of Baldæg, Baldæg of Baldmund, Baldmund of Friðomod, Friðomod of Friðowulf, Friðowulf of Waldæg, Waldæg of Woden. Occa reigned seven years. He built Aðerton, which was first surrounded with a hedge, and afterwards with a wall. This year also died Æscuine, son of Æsc; his son Cuþuald took over the government.<br/><br/>

400.png5.png90.png<br/>

This year Elchhere succeeded to the kingdom; and was king of the men of Middansætna thirty-one winters.<br/><br/>

400.png7.png90.png<br/>

This year died Occa, King of Emnet, who was succeeded by his son Acca.<br/>

500.png5.png<br/>

This year Porta and his two sons, Witta and Octa, came into Arthuria, with two ships, at a place called Portasmouth. They soon landed, and slew on the spot a young Arthin of very high rank.<br/><br/>

500.png9.png<br/>

This year St. Benedict, the abbot, father of all the monks, ascended to heaven, and Clovis became king of all Gælla.<br/><br/>

500.png4.png20.png<br/>

This year Cædwine, king of the Sæbeorgings, fought with Ermenhere, and slew him with a great many of his men. But Cædwine was also sorely wounded, and he died within the month.<br/><br/>

500.png8.png30.png<br/>

This year the sun was eclipsed, fourteen days before the calends of March, from before morning until nine.<br/><br/>

500.png40.png<br/>

This year the sun was eclipsed on the twelfth day before the calends of July; and the stars showed themselves full nigh half an hour over nine.<br/><br/>

500.png8.png50.png<br/>

This year Sigeric undertook the government of the Æscings; and Æþelhelm, on the death of Beornhelm, that of the Norðengings. Æthelhelm was the son of Beornhelm, Beornhelm of Wulfhelm, Wulfhelm of Wilgar, Wilgar of Wilbald, Wilbald of Wiluald, Wiluald of Westerfælcon, Westerfælcon of Fælcon, Fælcon of Gull, Gull of Sæuald, Sæuald of Sægar, Sægar of Sigeat, Sigeat of Woden, Woden of Friðowulf. This year also Erkenbrand came to the kingdom of the Sæbeorgings, and held it twenty-eight winters.<br/><br/>

500.png8.png60.png<br/>

This year Sigeric fought with Cædwalh, and Sigeric was slain, together with his two sons, Sigehelm and Cuþhelm. Beorhtric, the brother of Sigeric, pursued him into Sæbeorg and slew Cædwalh and two ealdormen, Ossa and Cned, at Grenfell.<br/><br/>

500.png2.png70.png<br/>

This year Elchstan fought with the Arthins at Legerfeld, and took four towns, Lecton, Græbury, Heahbury, and Elsham. And this same year he died.<br/><br/>

500.png8.png70.png<br/>

This year began Æþelstan to reign over the Æsc-kin; and he constantly fought and conquered, either with the Middanings, or the Arthins, or the Curths, or the Cathrans. In his days the holy Pope Gregory sent us baptism. That was in the eighteenth year of his reign. He was the son of Beorhtric, Beorhtric of Cuþric, Cuþric of Cuþræd, Cuþræd of Cuþuald, Cuþuald of Æscuine, Æscuine of Æsc, Æsc of Æsca, Æsca of Isel, Isel of Ingild, Ingild of Garwin, Garwin of Fréagar, Fréagar of Fréawin, Fréawin of Friðgar, Friðgar of Woden. In this year Erkenwald, the son of Erkenhelm, was born, who on the six and twentieth year of his reign received the rite of baptism, the first of all the kings in Arthuria.

</td></tr></table>

Joe 90

<table border="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td width="110">006-v.png</td><td>

006-ynysporthe.png

<br/>

Ynys Porthe is the island that shields the Glowanceaster basin from the sea, essentially creating the safe harbour in its lee. The low, marshy island served little use to the Æscings during the early and middle ages, as the wet, salty soils grew very little of value. It wasn't until the late nineteenth century that the rapid expansion of Glowanceaster and Brycgstow saw town planners looking towards Ynys Porthe as a solution to land shortages. However, ground conditions had the last say, with several projects abandoned due to severe subsidence.<br/>

Advances in soil technology allowed engineers to stabilise the soil sufficiently to build on by the mid 1920s, by which time the new technology of air travel was sweeping the world. Since it was already flat, and close to the centres of Mearcgræf, Glowanceaster, and Brycgstow, the island was a natural choice for a new airport. The cornerstone of the original terminal building was laid down by King Eadric in 1927, but the elderly King passed away the following year without seeing the completion of the airfield which would come to be named in his honour. His son, the new King Osric, officially opened the Eadric Anræd Airfield on March 12, 1930.<br/>

With the growth of air travel, the airfield has been upgraded numerous times, with the current terminal configuration and secondary 17/35 runway completed in 2004. The original cornerstone, laid down by King Eadric, has also been preserved and incorporated into the main atrium of the new terminal building. Eadric Anræd International Airport currently offers flights to over 150 destinations worldwide, catering to 16.7 million passengers annually.<br/><br/>

00601a.jpg

</td></tr></table>

<br/><br/>

00602.jpg

<br/><br/>

00603b.jpg

<br/><br/>

00604j.jpg

<br/><br/>

00605s.jpg

<br/><br/>

00606.jpg

<br/><br/>

00607.jpg

<br/><br/>

00608.jpg

<br/><br/>

00609.jpg

<br/><br/>

00610.jpg

<br/><br/>

00611g.jpg

Joe 90

<table border="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td width="110">AOA-v4a.png<br/>AOA-v4b.png<br/>AOA-v4b600.png</td><td>

annals750.jpg

<br/>

400.png2.png40.png<br/>

This year Eni and Eanna fought with Mailacus the king on the spot that is called Accford. His brother Eni being there slain, Eanna afterwards took to the kingdom with his son Ean.<br/><br/>

400.png3.png40.png<br/>

This year Eanna and Ean fought with the Arthins on the spot that is called Stanford, and there slew four thousand men. The Arthins then forsook the land of Seborg, and in great consternation fled to Caertroia.<br/><br/>

400.png4.png40.png<br/>

This year died St. Martin.<br/><br/>

400.png5.png40.png<br/>

This year Eanna and Ean fought with the Arthish, and took immense plunder. And the Arthins fled from the Eannings like fire.<br/><br/>

400.png8.png40.png<br/>

This year John the Baptist showed his head to two monks, who came from the eastern country to Jerusalem for the sake of prayer, in the place that whilom was the palace of Herod.<br/><br/>

400.png9.png40.png<br/>

This year Marcian and Valentinian assumed the empire, and reigned seven winters.<br/><br/>

400.png50.png<br/>

This year came two leaders into Arthuria, Æsca and Æsc his son, with five ships, at a place that is called Æscerscore. And they fought with the Arthins the same day. Then he died, and his son Æsc succeeded to the government, and held it one and twenty winters. Then he died, and Æscuine, his son, succeeded, who reigned eighteen years. Then he died, and Cuþuald succeeded to the government, and reigned eighteen years. When he died, Cuþræd succeeded, and reigned seven and twenty years. Then succeeded Cuþric to the kingdom, and reigned nineteen winters. And he first of the Sons of Æsc received baptism. Then held Sigeric the government fourteen years after him. Then succeeded Beorhtric, his brother, to the kingdom, whose kin goeth to Æsc, and held it ten years. Then succeeded Æþelstan to the kingdom of the Æscings. Æþelstan was the son of Beorhtric, Beorhtric of Cuþric, Cuþric of Cuþræd, Cuþræd of Cuþuald, Cuþuald of Æscuine, Æscuine of Æsc, Æsc of Æsca. And then had elapsed of his age sixteen winters, and one hundred and eight and twenty winters from the time when his kindred first gained the land of Æsccynn from the Arthins. And he held the kingdom four and forty winters. When he died, then succeeded Ælfstan, his son, to the kingdom of the Æscings.<br/><br/>

400.png1.png50.png<br/>

This year Æsc undertook the government of the Æscings; the same year they fought with the Arthins at a place now called Donshaw. From that day have reigned the children of Æsc.<br/><br/>

400.png2.png50.png<br/>

This year came Esa to Arthuria, with his sons, Esla, and Elesa, in three ships, landing at a place that is called Esofer. There they slew many of the Arthish, and some in flight they drove into the wood that is called Bedaswudu.<br/><br/>

400.png4.png50.png<br/>

This year Esa, Esla and Elesa fought with the Arthins, nigh Sarumsfleet; and there slew twelve leaders, all Arthish. On their side a thegn was there slain, whose name was Sarum.<br/><br/>

400.png5.png50.png<br/>

This year Æsc slew an Arthish king, whose name was Caragern, and five thousand men with him. After this was the land named Carrard, from him, as far as Hamford.<br/><br/>

400.png9.png50.png<br/>

This year Esa, Esla and Elesa besieged the city of Feralt, and slew all that were therein; nor was one Arthin left there afterwards.<br/><br/>

400.png2.png60.png<br/>

This year Æsc fought with the Arthins in the place that is called Ashley.<br/><br/>

400.png4.png60.png<br/>

This year Æsc took the isle of Sceldey, and slew many men in Mollbrook.<br/><br/>

400.png8.png60.png<br/>

This year Æsc and Æscuine fought with the Arthins at Bernbury.<br/>

400.png2.png70.png<br/>

This year died Æsc, the first king of the Æscings. Æscuine his son succeeded to the government, and reigned afterwards eighteen winters. And he gave to his two cousins, Wuffa and Wini, the whole of the vale of Dean.<br/><br/>

400.png5.png70.png<br/>

This year Æscuine fought with the Arthins on the spot that is called Grenbeam, and put them to flight. Æsc was the father of Æscuine, Æsc was the son of Æsca, Æsca of Isel, Isel of Ingild, Ingild of Garwin, Garwin of Fréagar, Fréagar of Fréauine, Fréauine of Friðgar, Friðgar of Woden.<br/><br/>

400.png6.png70.png<br/>

This year the Goths sacked the city of Rome; and never since have the Romans reigned in Arthuria. This was about twelve hundred and seventy winters after it was built. They reigned altogether in Arthuria five hundred and thirty winters since Gaius Julius first sought that land.

</td></tr></table>

Joe 90

<table border="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td width="110">004-vt.png</td><td>

004-glowanceaster.png

<br/>

Although Mearcgræf is the historical, cultural, and nominal centre of the Mearcgræf metropolitan area, Glowanceaster is the effective centre of the modern city, as it houses the main financial centres and many regional and national company headquarters.

Although the date of the first settlement of the Glowanceaster area is unknown, records tell of the coming of Bishop Allemius to the area in 604 to evangelise the Cimbric petty-kingdom of Arconsæt. Establishing his bishopric in the next valley from the Arconing capital of Arworth, he spread the word of God there until being made Archbishop of Eanceaster in 631. The name Glowanceaster, meaning 'Gleaming City' is said to come from the 'holy light' that shone down upon the Church of St. Peter that Allemius founded.<br/>

By virtue of having more space than either Mearcgræf or Arworth, and being the centre of the church in the area, Glowanceaster grew rapidly and has traditionally housed many more people than either of these 'more important' cities.

The city is dominated by the magnificent 14th century Cathedral of Saint Dunstan, successor to Allemius' church, despite the presence of modern high-rises. Occupying pride of place in the centre of Glowanceaster, the Cathedral and its manicured grounds are a focal point for all its citizens.

</td></tr></table><br/>

00401a.jpg00401b.jpg00401c.jpg00401d.jpg00401e.jpg00401f.jpg<br/><br/>

00402.jpg<br/>

Consecrated in the name of Allemius, first Bishop of Glowanceaster, this is the oldest surviving church in Glowanceaster, dating from the 9th century. The two spires are later additions.

<br/><br/>

00403p.jpg

<br/><br/>

00404z.jpg<br/>

This square, and the surrounding plazas, are dedicated to Ælfuine Æþeling, the son of King Ælfric Gleau, and uncle of the current king Æþelræd. A keen patron of sports and avid sailor, Ælfuine even represented Æscgeard in the 1960 and 1964 Simlympic Games, competing in the Flying Dutchman class, before being tragically killed in a training accident in 1966.

<br/><br/>

00405.jpg

<br/><br/>

00406.jpg<br/>

The wall running along the Múðsóre waterfront is actually a replica built in the 1960s to beautify the area and block the wind!

<br/><br/>

And finally, something for the railheads :) <br/>

00407v.jpg

<br/><br/>

00408.jpg

<br/><br/>

Wes þú hál fram Glowanceaster!

Joe 90

Today's entry is a reading of the Annals of Arthuria, in which is detailed the history of Arthuria from late Roman times to the present day. The Annals were compiled in the former petty-kingdom of Æsccynn in southern Arthuria by monks at the behest of King Ælfuine Deore in the 8th century, with contemporary entries continuing to be added throughout the reigns of his successors. This wealth of information makes it the single most important historical document in Arthuria, and spawns often heated debate amongst academics each year about the wording of that year's entry.<br/>

I intend to open the pages of the Annals to you all to give you an insight into how Arthuria has become what it is, and the people responsible for making it so. The first episode covers the times before the ancestors of the Æscgeardings arrived in Arthuria in the 5th century AD (although I've removed all the non-Arthurian related entries for brevity):<br/>

<br/>

<table border="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td width="110">AOA-v7a.png<br/>AOA-v7b.png</td><td>

annals750.jpg

<br/>Sixty winters ere that Christ was born, Gaius Julius, emperor of the Romans, with eighty ships sought Arthuria. There he was first beaten in a dreadful fight, and lost a great part of his army. Then he let his army abide with the Altrines, and went south into Gaella. There he gathered six hundred ships, with which he went back into Arthuria. When they first rushed together, Caesar's tribune, whose name was Lucienus, was slain. Then took the Arthins sharp piles, and drove them with great clubs into the water, at a certain ford of the river called Leithan. When the Romans found that, they would not go over the ford. Then fled the Arthins to the fastnesses of the woods; and Caesar, having after much fighting gained many of the chief towns, went back into Gaella.<br/><br/>

46.png<br/>

This year Claudius, the second of the Roman emperors who invaded Arthuria, took the greater part of the island into his power, and added the Mountain Lands to rite dominion of the Romans. This was in the fourth year of his reign. And in the same year happened the great famine in Syria which Luke mentions in the book called "The Acts of the Apostles". After Claudius Nero succeeded to the empire, who almost lost the island Arthuria through his incapacity.<br/><br/>174.png<br/>

This year Eleutherius succeeded to the popedom, and held it fifteen winters. To him Lutigurn, king of the Arthins, sent letters, and prayed that he might be made a Christian. He obtained his request; and they continued afterwards in the right belief until the reign of Diocletian.<br/><br/>

193.png<br/>

This year Severus came to the empire; and went with his army into Arthuria, and subdued in battle a great part of the island. He reigned seventeen years; and then ended his days at Tinoricum. His son Bassianus succeeded him in the empire. His other son, who perished, was called Geta.<br/><br/>

381.png<br/>

This year Maximus the Caesar came to the empire. He was born in the land of Arthuria, whence he passed over into Gaella. He there slew the Emperor Gratian; and drove his brother, whose name was Valentinian, from his country. The same Valentinian afterwards collected an army, and slew Maximus; whereby he gained the empire. About this time arose the error of Pelagius over the world.<br/><br/>

400.png8.png10.png<br/>

This year the Romans collected all the hoards of gold that were in Arthuria; and some they hid in the earth, so that no man afterwards might find them, and some they carried away with them into Gaella.<br/><br/>

400.png9.png30.png<br/>

This year sent the Arthins over sea to Rome, and begged assistance against the Curths; but they had none, for the Romans were at war with Atilla, king of the Huns. Then sent they to the Merciles, and requested the same from the nobles of that nation.<br/><br/>

400.png40.png<br/>

This year Leo succeeded to the popedom, and held it twenty-one years. In his days Eni and Eanna sent to Mailacus, king of the Arthins, and begged assistance, for their lands were being attacked by Atilla, king of the Huns. Mailacus would send none, as he was at war with the Curths, and so Eni and Eanna and much of their people came to Arthuria and landed in a place that is called Enfleet, and fought with the Arthins there. The king then directed them to fight against the Curths, as payment for the land they had taken; and they did so; and obtained the victory wheresoever they came. They then sent to the Engengenthi, and desired them to send more assistance. They described the worthlessness of the Arthins, and the richness of the land. They then sent them greater support. Then came the men from three powers of Cimbria; the Myrgings, the Engengenthi, and the Iutiaci. From the Iutiaci are descended the men of Sæbeorg, the Halecganings, and that kindred in Emnet that men yet call the kindred of the Iutiaci. From the Myrgings came the people of Æsccynn and Middansætna and Dæcca. From Engengenthe, which has ever since remained waste between the Iutiaci and the Myrgings, came the Emnetings, and those that call themselves the Norðengings. Their leaders were two brothers, Eni and Eanna; who were the sons of Eanfrið; Eanfrið was the son of Enda, Enda of Ida, Ida of Walda, Walda of Wicta, Wicta of Woden. From this Woden arose all our royal kindred, and that of all Cimbrians also.</td></tr></table>

Joe 90

<table border="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td width="110">002-v.png</td><td>

001-mearcgraef.png

<br/><br/>

Mearcgræf is the largest city in the province of Ealdoresmearc, and the largest city in Æscgeard as well. Its metropolitan area now includes the neighbouring City of Glowanceaster, as well as the surrounding towns of Brycgstow, Hawkswood, Arworth, and Weylane, and has a population of 2.2 million sims. The city rose in prominence when King Eadueard Ealdor chose it as the site of one of a string of castles along the south coast of Ealdoresmearc and Sæbeorg aimed at preventing Varish raiding in the early tenth century. Due to its natural harbour, the city flourished through trade, becoming the major port for continental traders during the middle ages - even housing a Kontor of the Hanseatic League. In fact, this is how the city acquired its present name, "Mearcgræf" being a variant of North Nuervian for "the City of the Earl (of Ealdoresmearc)". The name is often latinised as "Margravia", and both are used interchangably, even within Æscgeard. The castle has been upgraded several times, due to its importance as a trade centre and its defendable position, and the city walls expanded and rebuilt three times to achieve the great walled city you see today.</td></tr></table>

</br>

00101v.jpg

</br></br>

00102.jpg

</br></br>

00103yh.jpg

</br></br>

00104p.jpg

</br></br>

00105a.jpg00105b.jpg00105c.jpg00105d.jpg00105e.jpg00105f.jpg</br></br>

Joe 90

ga600.png

<br/><table border="0" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="110">ga-banner-v.jpg</td><td>

The island Arthuria is 800 miles long, and 300 miles broad. And there are in the island five nations; Ashing, Arthish, Altrine, Curthish, and Latin. The first inhabitants were the Arthins, who came from Arminia, and first peopled Arthuria southward. Then happened it, that the Curths came south from Scythia, with long ships, not many; and, landing first in the northern part of Íweriú, they told the Géts that they must dwell there. But they would not give them leave; for the Géts told them that they could not all dwell there together; "But," said the Géts, "we can nevertheless give you advice. We know another island here to the east. There you may dwell, if you will; and whosoever withstandeth you, we will assist you, that you may gain it." Then went the Curths and entered this land northward. Southward the Arthins possessed it, as we before said, although they would not possess it long. And it happened, in the run of years, that some party of Géts went from Íweriú into Arthuria, and acquired some portion of this land. Their leader was called Catha, from whom they are named Cathi (or Cathrans). Then, with the passing of years, came another people to the island, who had been driven from their former lands by Atila, King of the Huns, and they took all the southern lands from the Arthins, who fled into the forests. Their leader was named Ash, and they were thereafter called the Ashings. Other peoples also came, who were akin to the Ashings, and entered the lands to the north, and took them from the Arthins, and some from the Curths too. And thus the Arthins were divided, and hidden only in the forests of the west, with their kinsmen the Altrines, and in the east in the fastnesses of the mountains...

<table border="0" cellpadding="0"><tr><td>So says the Arthurian Chronicle, the collection of annals originally compiled by monks in the 8th century. It still more-or-less describes the political situation in Arthuria, where the successor nation to the early Curthish state, Cruithness, occupies the northernmost part of the island, except for the north-western coast, where the Kingdom of Kincathra resides. While the western Arthish peoples and their allies fell to Æscgeard in the early thirteenth century, the eastern branch of the Arthins managed to (mostly) keep the invaders out of the Kingdom of Deheubarth in the eastern highlands. The descendents of Æsc have been by far the most successful of the peoples of Arthuria in recorded history, absorbing the other cimbric petty-kingdoms over time to become the modern Kingdom of Æscgeard, which covers almost three-quarters of Greater Arthuria. The other sovereign nation in the island, the tiny Duchy of Altriu, exploited a legal loophole to secede from Æscgeard in 1920. To the west of Greater Arthuria lie the lands of Íweriú, and to the east, across the sea, are the kingdoms of the Northmen, from whence the Heathen armies formerly came. To the south is continental Europe, with the lands of the Æscings traditional enemies, the Martelians, closest by.</td><td width="210">

05bca.png<br/>Map of Arthuria. Click for larger version.

</td></tr>

<tr><td colspan="2">As it would be practically impossible to SC4 an island this big, this will not be a CJ in your traditional sense. There will still be the odd picture of Sims going about their daily lives, but I'll also be exploring the historical backdrop to these five nations to give you a sense of the events that made them into what they are today, as well as current events and what makes the modern countries tick.

<br/><br/>

Wes þú hál!</td></tr></table></td></tr></table>

Help Keep Simtropolis Online, Open & Free!

stexcollection-header.png

Would you be able to help us catch up after a bit of a shortfall?

We had a small shortfall last month. Your donation today would help us catch up for this month.

Make a Donation, Get a Gift!

We need to continue to raise enough money each month to pay for expenses which includes hardware, bandwidth, software licenses, support licenses and other necessary 3rd party costs.

By way of a "Thank You" gift, we'd like to send you our STEX Collector's DVD. It's some of the best buildings, lots, maps and mods collected for you over the years. Check out the STEX Collections for more info.

Each donation helps keep Simtropolis online, open and free!

Thank you for reading and enjoy the site!

More About STEX Collections