• Comments
  • Views

About this City Journal

"Let us look each other in the face. We are Hyperboreans

Entries in this City Journal

avrelivs

..all is lost..

Dear viewers,

...like the extraordinary sand art of the Tibetan monks, where such seemingly eternal artwork, with a single gust of wind, gone...never to return. Its previous form - only legend, and the stuff of myths....so is the fate of Hyperborea.

My computer crashed, and although i was very upset with the lose of my project, i feel slightly liberated and will begin re-massing my plugin folder, only this time with more precision and organization. so expect a 'phoenix-like' return....although it will take time.

However, my last entry (Entry 11 - only 39 views) was updated extensively from what i originally posted that morning. it represents a new trend towards a graphic design approach i will be taking from now on.

Entry 11 is alot different from my previous entries and you can expect to see similar presentations when i begin my new journal.

but please, revisit 'entry 11'

...39 views is excruciatingly low...considering the effort i put into it.

thanks for you involvement with my project...

..until next time,

avrelivs.

avrelivs

Teaser

I've gotten distracted by GIMP and have made little progress on the entries i have begun to write. but in the meantime here are two pictures.

(Pic 1) ..my first attempt at photo realism..

photo1cv.jpg

(Pic 2) this was created by taking a picture of each end of opposite tiles and fusing them together.

tilee.jpg

avrelivs

titley.jpg

RESIDENTIAL DISTRICTS Pt I

NOTE: all residential buildings (except the 'krushkova' apartments) are grown and have not been plopped.

- most of the lots are from Haarlemmergold's wonderful collection of dutch BATs.

- I am aware that i am using American-styled road markings.

- I'm an American and i prefer this look.

- when the Euro textures are complete i will switch, if it really looks bad.

PIC 1

res1c.jpg

PIC 2

res2f.jpg

PIC 3

res3h.jpg

PIC 4

Abandoned apartment complex, considered contaminated.

res4t.jpg

PIC5

res5.jpg

STAY TUNED FOR THE NEXT INSTALLMENT OF:

History of an Oil Tycoon. (Pt II)

teaser1k.jpg

TEASER:

teaser2d.jpg

TEASER

teaser3o.jpg

avrelivs

Welcome to update number eight, on functionality of RHW and TULEPs.

this update will contain images that highlight my regional progress, but please note that it is not a presentation of the final city. everything that will be seen is subject to change and revision.

(which is a good tip by the way...never be afraid to bulldoze existing infrastructure/development in order to make major changes.)

(PIC 1)

funcrhw1.jpg

(PIC2)

There are a few small patches of R$ development that i have set up in order to test the functionality of the RHW.

Clearly the network functions...in the future i will be expanding the population until i begin getting congestion problems.

I also have set up the infrastructure in a way that feeds workers from other tiles into centralized industrial/refinery complexes. this way i will be able to control traffic patterns for optimal performance of the network.

funcrhw2.jpg

(PIC3)

here is a new interchange that connects the split RHW4 to a local road...it needs some work maybe.

rhw1.jpg

(PIC4)

here is the interchange from another tile. although it is no where near its capacity limit its functionality is obviously.

rhw2g.jpg

(PIC5)

here is a close up of the TULEP seen in PIC1 and PIC2.

tulep1.jpg

(PIC6)

another TULEP.

tulep2.jpg

(PIC7)

the region progress...so much more to add but its looking good so far:

regionpic1.jpg

avrelivs

WELCOME to a tutorial on RHW curves.

a very difficult aspect of RHW is the inability to place puzzle pieces with ease.

the accurate placement of these puzzle pieces insures functionality and grace.

what follows below may seem to be a terribly simple demonstration. however, the reader must understand these basic concepts first, in order to facillitate future entries. i have plans for two MORE TUTORIALS. one called 'building on sloped terrain' and another called 'complex interchanges'

SO STAY TUNED!

(PIC 1)

the image below shows the RHW4 'double curve' 

i have placed tiles of (single click) road around the piece to indicate how many tiles the 'double curve' takes up.

rhwtutorial1.jpg

(PIC2)

now, in the picture below, i will demolish the tile seen in green.

rhwtutorial2.jpg

(PIC3)

Now this is the result below.

i have also plopped two RHW4 starter pieces heading in their appropriate direction.

IMPORTANT: NOTICE THE TWO SINGLE RHW TILES ON THE LEFT OF THE CURVE.

these two tiles are crucial for re-establishing the RHW system.

rhwtutorial3.jpg

(PIC4)

in the picture below i have connected the starter pieces with the RHW2 sharp-curves.

now i have a functional RHW4 system. (notice the two RHW tiles, mentioned above, still remain.)

rhwtutorial4.jpg

(PIC5)

now here i have demolished the 'single-click' road tiles (included the two RHW tiles)

i am left with a functional RHW4 sharp curve transition.

rhwtutorial5.jpg

(PIC6)

at this stage you should be able to plop the 'double curve' over-top the existing system.

..as seen below.

rhwtutorial6.jpg

(PIC7)

final smooth-curved system.

rhwtutorial8.jpg

(PIC8)

NOW, if you delete an part of the RHW and end up with this:

rhwtutorial7.jpg

the next three (PICs) will show a conceptual way of fixing this problem. it is not the easiest way. it demonstrates a basic concept that will become increasingly relevent when building on sloped terrain and building interchanges. stay tuned for those entries.

REFER back to (PIC3) now.

(PIC9)

see where the green highlighted tile is? demolish it.

rhwtutorial7a.jpg

(PIC10)

after you demolish that tile (as seen above) demolish the two tiles that are noted in (PIC3)

rhwtutorial7b.jpg

(PIC11)

now with single clicks (and single clicks only!) of the draggable RHW, tap the two tiles where the RHW2 meets the RHW4. 

(NOTE: the pic below only shows the first "tap")

now you should be at the same stage depicted in (PIC6)

rhwtutorial7c.jpg

BONUS TEASER PIC:

port1w.jpg

avrelivs

RESPONSES

@Reikhardt - thanks, ive been enjoying your journal.

@JGellock - thanks, i was aiming for simplicity

@Gath22 - i wont be showing 'urban' areas any time soon...but stay tuned for a massive oil refinery complex and industrial port district, which is what i have planned for this tile..and also, i hope you like rural areas because those are coming as well.

@Alejandro24 - thanks

@hermannleicht - thanks, ..ive tried that, but i end up making a mess of the natural slopes of the river/sea bed. im using a downloaded map (perote_coast) rendered with SC4mapper because of its nice-looking slopes. but when i overdo the terraforming and it turns out poorly i have to start over. so this way i can alter the perception of depth with out ruining the terrain. there will be better examples of this technique in the future.

@andrin - glad to help

@kench - thanks, i would love to do a RHW tutorial however its a broad subject with many concepts going on at the same time..so you'll have to narrow your request down to a specific function. RHW can get fustrating to work with so i wont be revealing all of the techniques i use (because explaining everything would just take too long..and also keep in mind there is a learning curve with it)..Heblem has many rock kits that have different textures, im using the 'marble' ones. the link will appear below.

http://www.simtropolis.com/stex/index.cfm?p=files&keyword=Heblem&view=all

chevronpage.jpg

oilr1.jpg

naturepic1.jpg

oilr2.jpg

port1z.jpg

port2.jpg

avrelivs

TUTORIAL, Pt I

..welcome to this TUTORIAL on beaches and shorelines

it will be a step-by-step analysis of the beach/shoreline method implemented in Hyperborea.

zentryfinal.jpg

IMPORTANT NOTES

-this tutorial is made with out scrolling..for the sake detail.

-(for best results) during each step always hit the 'page up/page down' keys to change angles. this is crucial for painting sand and PPond water.

STEP ONE

using this mod:

http://www.simtropolis.com/stex/details.cfm?id=21416

(choose a type of sand and begin filling in the desired beach area.)

step1ploppablesand.jpg

STEP TWO

..using PPond kit:

http://www.simtropolis.com/stex/details.cfm?id=21661

(use 'pebble' to make a single shoreline then use 'gravel' to cover above and below that line.

this is important because 'gravel' is more porous and will blend easier with sand and grass.)

step2pebblegravelshorel.jpg

SO FAR

step2sofar.jpg

STEP THREE

using the rural pasture kit found here:

http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=1886

(at this point its about filling in grass and cattails. any variety and style you can come up with)

step3cattailsandgrass.jpg

STEP FOUR

(now here, its about filling in more grass, brown grass and marsh. the more you add, the more detailed and natural it looks. however the important part is the addition of PPond ploppable water. it gets plopped below the underwater sand line in order to create the perception of depth.

step4moregrassppondwate.jpg

STEP FIVE

(hit 'Ctrl - x' and type in "setsealevel" this will remove the water in order to facilitate the creation of rock clusters...

also it makes it easier to find blank spots)

(now, using any style of heblem's rock kits, create rock clusters by single-clicks without moving the mouse.

this creates nice-looking rock formations that can mask any imperfections in the shore-line.)

(this is the stage for trees, any kind you prefer. the ones seen here are Peg-pine clusters.

step5setsealeveltreesan.jpg

Now save/exit and re-enter the tile

FINAL SHOT

the next two pictures show an original shot and a modified one..thanks for stopping by..

tutorialfinal.jpg

tutorialfinal2.jpg

avrelivs

The REAL highway, Pt I

this is a quick update focusing on a highway system.

..this journal will be chronicling my progress with this region:

regionview.jpg

Ive split the 4-lane highway so both directions of traffic encompass a wildlife reserve:

rhw4.jpg

here is an other picture of the highway.

rhw5.jpga note on this journal:

when i first got SC4, many years ago, my initial enthrallment was with the possibilities of complex transit networks provided by street/road/avenue/one-way/highway combinations (no other game has this). the recent NAM release (and RHW, NWM, TULEPs etc.) has multiplied this interest 1000x times. meaning that, in terms of this journal, a city will emerge eventual but i am starting (unnaturally) with a RHW infrastructure.

..this journal will contain experiments, progressions and tutorials, SO STAY TUNED. but it is not the finished product.

rhw3.jpg

avrelivs

.intro.

..welcome to hyperborea, a land of perpetual daylight..
apolloandmuses.jpg

..it is a mythic terra incognita built by the hyperboreans and designed by an alien consciousness named Apollo.

Apollo was worshipped as a god and taught his followers the plastic arts, poetic language and advanced engineering.

apolloo.jpg

a1artisticshot.jpg
Sign in to follow this  

Help Keep Simtropolis Online, Open & Free!

stexcollection-header.png

Would you be able to help us catch up after a bit of a shortfall?

We had a small shortfall last month. Your donation today would help us catch up for this month.

Make a Donation, Get a Gift!

We need to continue to raise enough money each month to pay for expenses which includes hardware, bandwidth, software licenses, support licenses and other necessary 3rd party costs.

By way of a "Thank You" gift, we'd like to send you our STEX Collector's DVD. It's some of the best buildings, lots, maps and mods collected for you over the years. Check out the STEX Collections for more info.

Each donation helps keep Simtropolis online, open and free!

Thank you for reading and enjoy the site!

More About STEX Collections