Jump to content
  • Announcement

    • Dirktator

      Got the wrong discs? Or didn't receive them in the mail?   06/20/2018

      For those who opted for physical discs -- if you donated between April - June and you received the WRONG discs or NO discs in the mail, please email stexcd@simtropolis.com and include your donation info such as Paypal transaction ID and we will get this rectified!
Sign in to follow this  
  • Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

About this City Journal

St.Anais is a small island nation located in the Eastern Caribbean. Originally an overseas territory of France, St.Ana�s gained its independence on January 12 1972. The country is famous for...

Entries in this City Journal


�le St.Jacques

Located about 20 kms from Île François, Île St.Jacques seems remote and out of the way however,the island contains some of the best examples of colonial architecture and has become synonymous with the Independent Spanish-Anaïsiens Movement which is an ongoing conflict that revolves around the goal of Spanish descendants taking over Île St.Jacques and turning it into an independent  Spanish enclave in a predominantly French region. The island is also known for its lush forests, sandy beaches and its peacefulness.

The town of Jamelle is the island's only settlement. It is considered to be the centre of Spanish culture in St.Anaïs. This can be seen in its architecture, traditions and atmosphere. Jamelle is also famous for its colorful buildings.


The San Pedro Cathedral is the only Spanish style church in the country.


The Musée de la Culture Espagnol(Museum of Spanish Culture). The building was originally the headquarters of the Compañía Española de</span> <span class="hps" title="Click for alternate translations">Comercio</span> <span class="hps" title="Click for alternate translations">del Caribe</span></span>(Spanish Caribbean Trade Company) and when the French took over it became a mansion for the French founder of St.Anaïs,Jacques Mercier. After he passed away the building was left empty until a group of Spanish descendents in 1921 made it into a museum to highlight the Spanish heritage of St.Anaïs.


This group of satellite dishes make up the <span class="short_text" lang="fr" id="result_box"><span class="hps" title="Click

for alternate translations">Centre</span> <span class="hps" title="Click

for alternate translations">des Télécommunications(Telecommunications Centre) Located on the north coast of the island the centre broadcasts and recieves signals for cell phones, radio, T.V and internet  in St.Anaïs.


This vineyard once part of the LaPierre Tobacco Plantation now produces the country's famed Orange Wine, which is a local wine made from oranges.


The historic Fort de Espagne(Fort of Spain) was built by the Spanish colonists in order to defend their new found territory.



Rail network created on

Following a long survey the national government approved a plan to construct a railway on Île François. When it was completed on December 19 2009 the railway ran across the entire island. The plan was criticized at first by the public for being too costly and for having the possibility of posing a risk to the wildlife of the island. However, after its completion it became the most popular form of transport on the island mostly because of its speed. For example, one could travel from Franceville to Afriqueville in half an hour instead of two aboard a bus.

The rail network(in red) on Île François, If the railway proves to be succesful there have been discussions of expanding the network to Île Ste.Hélène via an underwater tunnel or bridge.

Gare Franceville serves as the network's northern terminus. It is also the busiest station of the network.

Gare Piqinion is located in the centre of Piqinion,Lucienne. This station was the most controversial since it's construction required the demolition of nearly 13 buildings.


 Due to the large increase in the S.Anaïsien population and the greater influx of tourists the government decided to replace the small and outdated Jean LaPierre International Airport in the Côte Nord region. After two years of construction on March 6 2010 the new Jean LaPierre Airport opened up with two terminals and two runways which would allow for planes as large as 747s to land at the airport.

The old airport following demolition.

The new airport two months after being constructed.

Terminal A. This terminal is the centre for international flights. Large aircraft such as the 747 and A340 are common visitors and bring thousands of tourists to St.Anaïs.

Terminal B. This terminal primarily deals with domestic flights and flights to neighboring Caribbean islands as well as the occasional international flight when Terminal A is too busy. The aircraft here are significantly smaller and consist primarily of turbo props and small jets. The largest aircraft that the terminal can handle is a boeing 737.

Since the opening of the new Jean LaPierre International Airport passenger numbers have doubled and a greater number of airlines now serve more destinations than before.



Haute-Roche is considered to be the most mountainous départissment. After being unhabited for many years the French eventually began building a town along the steep cliffs in 1810. The town became known as Sangiers-Sur-Mer. The town's main purpose was originally to help defend the islands from possible invaders however,the town soon became a centre for the wealthy thanks to its incredible views and relatively isolated location. This made Sangiers-Sur-Mer popular for those wanting to escape the noise and business of St.Anaïs' larger towns and cities. By 1900 the town's population exploded and new buildings were being built constantly. Today,the town continues to be one of the top tourist destinations due to the town's beautiful seaside location, the peaceful atmosphere, the colorful buildings and the stunning views. Around Sangiers-Sur-Mer lush farms and forests cover the mountainous landscape. In addition to the town as being a tourist destination in itself located about 10 kms east of Sangiers-Sur-Mer is the Antoine Jérome Space Centre. The centre is home to a state of the art research facility, a launch pad which docks the space shuttle, Anaïs 1. The spaceport is jointly run and funded by the French and St.Anaïsien governments.

The départissement of Haute-Roche from above.


The town of Sangiers-Sur-Mer.


Another view of the town. The entire town is almost built right into the cliffs.


The colourful buildings of Sangiers-Sur-Mer's Vieux Ville(Old Town). Circled in yellow is the George Montand Tunnel. The tunnel runs underneath the town and is the primary entrance into the town centre which makes it extremley congested during the tourist season.


The Antoine Jérome Space Centre. The reasearch facility located on the right is the most advanced and state of the art facility in the Caribbean. On the left is the launch pad and docked at it is the Anaïs 1. The shuttle's next scheduled mission is in a few weeks where it will take supplies and equipment to the International Space Station. Although the spaceport is heavily guarded small group tours are given to tourists. This gives the public a glimpse into one of the country's more advanced and modern industries.


The Église St.Pierre.(St.Pierre Church)




Located on the southern half of Île Ste.Hélène(the second largest island that makes up St.Anaïs) the départissement of Martineau is primarily a region known for its secluded beaches and lush forests. Due to the shape of the area Martineau boasts excellent port facilities which makes it a hub of ocean traffic. The two main settlements in Martineau are Calienne and St.Marcel. Although the départissement does not have as many tourists as on the main island (Île St.François) it is popular for its nightlife in Calienne and the beautiful beaches.

The city of Calienne is the second largest in the country after Franceville. It is primarily a centre for trade and commerce thanks to its port facilities. It has a population of 3600 people


The town of St.Marcel serves primarily as a commuter town for people who work in Calienne. It is located 6 kms from the city.




   Although St.Anaïs seems to be a picture perfect paradise, in reality it isn't. This can be seen in the départissement of Cap-Pélée. Located at the southern end of Île François, Cap-Pélée is by far the poorest area of the country. This is mainly due to the population being mostly immigrants and the area being mountainous and difficult to farm. The main settlement in Cap-Pélée is Afriqueville. The town was founded in 1803 as a place to house African slaves who worked on plantations. Today, the town has grown and is home to immigrants and workers from all over the world.



The abandoned Fort de la Montagne , which housed the slaves when they first arrived looks more like a prison then a housing complex. The factory beside it produces bauxite and adds horrid pollutants to the air over Cap-Pélée.


Afriqueville's Little Asia(Petite Asie) is home to a large group of Asian immigrants.


On June 14 2006, Mont Henri erupted and destroyed hundreds of homes and businesses in nearby Afriqueville.


Piles of rubble dot a neighbourhood of the town after the volcano's eruption.



Following the eruption most of the houses were destroyed. As a result, the majority of the population was homeless and the only solution to get everyone shelter quickly was to erect these plain and ugly prefab apartment blocks and cramped housing compounds.


Although they are unattractive and a huge difference from the other St.Anaïsien architecture these prefabricated apartment blocks look like they belong in Eastern Europe. However, these apartments house thousands and actually provide much better living conditions than what the residents of Cap-Pélée had before.


In addition to the large apartment blocks these housing compounds provide additonal housing.


A branch of the International Aid Organization for Developing Nations(IAODN). Although St.Anaïs isn't officially considered a developing country the region of Cap-Pélée has all the traits of one. After the Mont Henri eruption the organization offered to set up a branch in the region to help with rebuilding,provide medical services and distribute food and water to the poverty stricken population.


Afriqueville a year after the eruption.




Lucienne is one of the most popular regions for tourists. Lucienne's capital, Piqinion is located about 15 minutes from Jean Pierre International Airport and 20 from Franceville making it convienient for tourists to reach. The region also boasts endless white sand beaches, trendy stores, fine dining and numerous luxury hotels and the largest fresh water lake in St.Anaïs,Lac Aubin. 10 minutes from Piqinion are the ruins of the Ange de Dieu Monestery.

The town of Piqinion from above. Piqinion is the only settlement in the Lucienne dépatissement and straddles both the Caribbean Sea and the shores of Lac Aubin. The city itself attracts more tourists than anywhere else in the nation.


The ruins of the Ange de Dieu Monastery are one of the most visited landmarks in St.Anaïs.The monastery was originally built by the French shortly after their arrival in St.Anaïs in 1793. However the monastery was destroyed in the eruption of the extinct volcano, Mont Michel in 1936.


The waterfront and Les Plages(The Beaches) of Piqinion.


Another example of some of the Spanish Colonial architecture n St.Anaïs




    Côte Nord is St.Anaïs' largest départissement and houses the nation's capital,Franceville. The region is also fairly rugged and froms the northern end of St.Anaïs' main island.
View of Franceville from the air. Franceville was originally founded by Spanish colonists in 1763 and was known as Puerto Alegre. However when a group of French colonists arrived in 1790 they defeated the Spaniards and overtook the islands. The French renamed the capital after their homeland.
The St.Anaïsien Parliament Building. Originally built as a manor for a wealthy French merchant in 1892 the house later became a museum and when St.Anaïs gained independence it was converted into the centre of parliament.(The flags of the various départissements are flown in front of the building)
ctenorddec2704129236824.pngMediterainen Bright pastel coloured houses on the Franceville waterfront.
The Picardie Shopping Centre
Pont Rousseau(Rousseau Bridge) crosses the LaCroix Valley near the small village of St.Jérome.
Aéroport International du Jean LaPierre is the main gateway for flights into St.Anaïs. It is easily accessable by tram,bus,car and ferry and is about 5 minutes from Franceville. The top picture is the old airport and the one below it is the new one.

The Hotel Royale is one of the most prestigious hotels in the country.

The Marché Espagnol(Spanish Market) is one of the handful of Spanish colonial buildings in the country

The National Courthouse

The Tram in Franceville is a small system with two lines,red and blue. The red line encircles the city and it is easy to reach any destination while the blue line runs to the airport. Although the tram only serves Franceville there are plans to extend the network to serve the entire départissement.

The National Library and Archives 

The Université de St.Anaïs is the country's only university.

The George Carteau Concert Hall hosts numerous events from theatre to opera and rock concerts to classical orchestras. The building is famous for its unusual design which many say resemble a lotus. It was designed by the late Anaïsien architect, Charles Marnier.

The village of Port Jamaïque. It is located only 5 minutes from Franceville which makes it famous for people wanting to spend the day away from the bustle of the city without going far.



Capital City: Franceville

Official Languages: French, St.Anaïsien Creole

Population: 76,078

Major Cities and Towns: Franceville,Piqinion, Calienne,Sangiers-Sur-Mer,Jamelle, Afriqueville,Port Marnier.

Administrative Regions( Départissements)-Côte Nord, Lucienne,Haute-Roche,Cap-Pélée,Martineau,Pointe-Blanche, Les Cayes, Île St.Jacques.

Highest Point-Mont Martine

Religion: Catholic

Independence Day (from France): January 12 1972

Maijor Exports: Bananas,Coconuts,Local Crafts,Rum,Tobacco,Sugar

Major Imports: Cars,Electronics,Consumer Goods,Machinery

National Anthem: Anaïs Pour Toujours(Anaïs Forever)

Currency: St.Anaïs Franc

The flag of St.Anaïs


The islands tourism logo.


St.Anaïs Franc


St.Anaïs from the air



The Collectivity of St.Anaïs( ah-nah-iss) was first founded by a group of Spanish colonists who discovered the islands in 1763.  Following their discovery the islands thrived under Spanish rule. Thousands of settlers came to the islands from Spain to start a new life. The soil was rich and fertile which resulted in the construction of many sucessful plantations. They called the islands, Islas del Paraíso(Islands of Paradise).  However, the years of peace and calm came to an end in 1790 when a fleet of French ships came into the harbour of Puerto Alegre(Now Franceville) and invaded the town. After weeks of vicious fighting the French defeated the Spanish and the Spaniards retreated back to Spain or to South America. Following the French takeover, the entire colony was renamed, St.Anaïs and the remaining Spaniards on the islands were taught French and worked on the plantations. The colonization of St.Anaïs was one of the most sucessful. Thanks to the islands location, resources and its beauty thousands of French settlers were attracted to the islands and St.Anaïs prospered. In 1890 a large group of islanders of Spanish descent demanded to be given their own island in which they could rule on their own. This was denied by the French government and in turn the descendents revolted and demanded autonomy of their culture. This revolution lasted until 1903 and during the time hundreds of the revolutionaries were arrested, deported and even executed. Following this the relations between the French and the Spanish became bitter for some time. In 1915 a famine overtook the islands and hundreds died of starvation. In addition to this the St.Anaïsien economy fell as well which made St.Anaïs one of the poorest territories in the Caribbean. In 1919, the French government intervened and began a number of projects which increased jobs and boosted the economy. The years following this were peaceful and St.Anaïs slowly began to rebuild itself. Then in the late 60's the St.Anaïsiens decided to demand independence from France. The French government denied their request and after many attempts a referendum was taken on June 15 1971 and the result was obvious, St.Anaïs voted on indepence. After numerous discussions and conflicts with France the territory was awarded full sovereignty on January 12 1972. Following their independence, St.Anaïs developed its own culture and the new nation became one of the most prosperous nations in the Caribbean. Today, the country attracts thousands of tourists annually thanks to St.Anaïs' beautiful scenery and interesting history.


St.Anaïsiens come from countless backgrounds and speak numerous languages however,the main ethnic groups are;

White 55%             

Black 20%

Mulatto 15%

Asian 5%


The two official languages of St.Anaïs are French and St.Anaïsien Creole (A mix of French, Spanish and African language). French is by far the most spoken language while Creole is not far behind. Other significant languages are Spanish, English and various West African dialects. Japanese, Mandarin and Tagalog are also becoming noticable due the growth in Asian immigrants.


Air- There are two airports in St.Anaïs, Jean LaPierre International Airport in Côte Nord and Pointe-Blanche International Airport in the Pointe- Blanche Départissement. The nation has two airlines, Air Anaïs is the national carrier and has flights to North America, South America, and various Caribbean islands. Air Anaïs also operates a seasonal route from Jean LaPierre International to Paris. The other airline, Caraïbe Airways is a domestic carrier but also offers flights to neighbouring islands.           

airan.png  carair.png

Ocean- Due to its location St.Anaïs is a popular hub for ship traffic. In addition to the countless cruise ships and freighters St.Anaïs operates a ferry company, Lignes Navire du St.Anaïs (St.Anaïs Ship Lines) offers various ferry routes around the islands.

Road- There are two main roadways in St.Anaïs, the M1 and the M2. The M1 is a road which runs from Côte Nord to Cap-Pélée on Île François and the M2 runs from Pointe-Blanche to Martineau on Île St.Hélène. In addition to the main roads many smaller ones branch off around of them. St.Anaïs also operates a bus line run by the L'Autobus Anaïs which operates routes on all the islands and in all the départissements. There is also a tram system in Franceville.


Rail- Recently constructed in 2009 the rail network runs north to south on Île François. It is the fastest way to travel on the island and there are stations in Franceville,Piqinion,Afriqueville and Sangiers-Sur-Mer.


Thanks to the large influx of immigrants the St.Anaïsien culture is very diverse and blends French,Spanish and African influences. All around St.Anaïs Calypso, Flamenco,French and traditional African music can be heard. The country is also famous for it's summer music festival which is hosted in Franceville. The festival highlights the musical diversity of the country. St.Anaïs' cuisine is as equally diverse as well and blends ingredients from various ethnic backgrounds into mouthwatering dishes full of tropical flavor.

Sign in to follow this  

Thank You for the Continued Support!

Simtropolis relies mainly on member donations to continue operating. Without your support, we just would not be able to be entering our 15th year online!  You've really help make this a great community.

But we still need your support to stay online. If you're able to, please consider a donation to help us stay up and running, so that we can help keep bringing SimCity players together to share our creations.

Make a Donation, Get a Gift!

Expand your city with the best from the Simtropolis Echange.
Make a donation and get one or all three discs today!


By way of a "Thank You" gift, we'd like to send you our STEX Collector's DVD. It's some of the best buildings, lots, maps and mods collected for you over the years. Check out the STEX Collections for more info.

Each donation helps keep Simtropolis online, open and free!

Thank you for reading and enjoy the site!

More About STEX Collections