A former state of the Republic of the Philippines

Entries in this City Journal

kench

Davao City

header1u.jpg

bannerresize.png

The City of Davao is a city in the Island of Mindanao, Philippines

. It is

the third most populous metropolitan area in the country. The city serves as the regional center for the Davao Region.

dvo5.jpg

overpass.jpg

overpass2.jpg

officedepot.jpg

dvo15.jpg

dvo14.jpg

dvo13.jpg

dvo12.jpg

dvo11.jpg

dvo4.jpg

dvo3.jpg

dvo2.jpg

dvo1.jpg

dvob.jpg

avenue2.jpg

--- THE END ---

THANKS FOR VIEWING!

kench

kench

Teaser: The Capital

teaserbanner.jpg

WELCOME BACK TO THE QUEEN ISLAND OF MINDANAO!

bannerresize.png

...A city that’s bustling yet peaceful, modern yet rustic....

dvo12.jpg

"10th Asian City of the Future" -Foreign Direct Investment Magazine

dvo13.jpg

THANKS FOR VIEWING! Please comment and rate... :D

kench

headeroim.jpg

...just wanna share my first creation with Real Highway Mod (RHW)... This interchange is part of the Maharlika Highway and the interchange is located in the residential district of Tagum City. The highway is equipped with noise barrier along the edge and the interchange are surrounded by trees to avoid noise and air pollution.

hiway1.jpg

hiway2.jpg

hiway3.jpg

hiway4.jpg

hiway5.jpg

hiway6.jpg

THANK YOU FOR VIEWING!

kench

digosbanner.jpg

HELLO everyone! This is probably my final update for Digos City. Do you know why???

ITS BECAUSE I LOST MY DIGOS CITY!!! :(:(:(

I unintentionally erased the tile of Digos in my Mindanao map. This means that the Digos City has totally been eliminated in my Mindanao Region and nothing is left except those pictures I have captured before it was erased. The cause of this "accident" is the cheat that I tried to change the Mayor's name of a certain city. I particularly use "hellomynameis kench" and then after I have saved and exit to the city, I was surprised that the entire Digos City tile is already empty... and that's it! My favorite city has been eliminated by just a single mistake that I am not aware of the result. So you guys should not try changing the Mayor's name of an existing city because you might experience the "tragedy" I have experienced. My efforts are all useless and my time has been wasted... ugggh... :cry:

Well, anyway... below are just some of the pictures left in this city which is supposed to be included in Digos updates. I hope everyone likes it. :uhm:

PALMERA PLAZA

The largest plaza built in front of the Financial District.

palmsplaza.jpg

BILLBOARD PLAZA

This is a government-owned area for commercial advertisement and promotional activities. Major revenue comes from rental fee and billboard fee.

billboardplaza.jpg

PEOPLE'S TRAIL PARK

A public park behind the St. Michael's Cathedral. The lot where the park was constructed was donated by the historical Dominican congregation. In order to take additional revenue from the park, another billboard spaces are open for rent.

strailpark.jpg

ST. MICHAEL'S CATHEDRAL

The church at the heart of the city. Located at just a walking distance from the Financial District. It lies at one of the busy roads of Digos and that is why the cathedral is enclosed and fully airconditioned to make it sound-proof. The reason is to maintain solemnity inside the church.

stmichaelscathedral.jpg

..and finally, some photos of SMBDs (Small and Medium Business Districts)...

(This is supposed to be another update since there are about 5 SMBDs in Digos. I was planning to have at least 4 close-up photos in every SMBDs.) :|

coma1.jpg

coma2.jpg

coma3.jpg

coma4.jpg

coma5.jpg

coma6.jpg

See you on my next update! Please rate and comment... THANK YOU!

header1u.jpg

kench

digosbanner.jpg

WELCOME to DIGOS CITY!

Digos is one of my personal favorite city that I have made so far in SC4. This was made into completion during my On Job Training in the National Capital Region of our country (Philippines). That was my first time to travel in Metro Manila and hence I have decided to create my own version of those cities I have visited. That was the only moment I realize that even if my country is considered as "third world", we do have a lot of cities which is highly urbanized and competitive. Third world countries do not always imply poverty but rather a nation whose economy is still growing and is striving to become stable. :]

So much for those lessons... let's concentrate to this update. Digos City, on the other hand, is an existing city in Southern Mindanao whose economy is very high. Budget surplus always occur every year for 30 consecutive years. Its urbanized city has brought them to the list of top cities in Mindanao in terms of economy and was awarded as the "Most Peaceful City in Asia" and have given the responsibility to host the 3rd National Football League last December 2010.

This is an overview of the entire Digos City. As you can see, it is just a medium-tile city with only a few skyscrapers and a lot of low buildings. Cities in Mindanao are not filled with skyscrapers, but the presence of such is an indication that the city is highly progressive.

digoslabel.jpg

My dearest audience... let the other picture say something for you... :D

financialdistrictday.jpg

jplaurelave2day.jpg

durianstadiumday.jpg

cjc.jpg

digoscity.jpg

ncccmallday.jpg

rotunda.jpg

...and finally the Catchment Area which I have already published last year.

catchment.jpg

...some nightshots...

financialdistrictnight.jpg

durianstadiumnight.jpg

ncccmallnight.jpg

jplaurelavenight.jpg

digoscitynight.jpg

THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR VIEWING! Let's have a closer look on those parts of the city in my next update. I hope everyone likes this entry...

header1u.jpg

kench

Digos Teaser

teaserbanner.jpg

This is another teaser update about another progressive city of Mindanao named as Digos City. I am only showing one photo for this city (for the mean time) but expect to have more on my next update. Enjoy! Have a Blessed Holy Week Everyone... ;)

teaserdigos.jpg

...and don't forget to experience the true summer vacation only here in the Islands of the Philippines!

wow-philippines-slogan.gif

banner1.png

banner.jpg

bohol-banner.jpg

cebu-banner.jpg

adavao2.jpg

kench

Laguna City Part 3

LAGUNA CITY - Part 3

Hello everyone! This entry would mean that Queen Island of Mindanao is still alive! :D I have been inactive for almost two months and have noticed that a lot of things have changed in ST site. I was amazed with the new interface of the site and I'm quite ignorant especially in adding new entry in a city journal. :lol:

Ok, so much for that explanation... Here is another entry from my Laguna City which I think would be the last update about Laguna (City of Two Lakes). This update would feature the remaining unrevealed part of the city particularly the Shrine Hills of Laguna and the Laguna Wharf.

SHRINE HILLS OF LAGUNA

(click picture for a higher resolution)

thumbnaillaguna.jpg

The Shrine Hills of Laguna has three major tourist spots namely Mariwasa Falls, Istatwa ni Mariang Lina Laguna (The Statue of Maria Lina Laguna), and the Shrine of the Holy Calvary.

The Mariwasa Falls is a small natural flowing falls located near at the foot of the Shrine Hills. It supplies a large volume of water in the two lakes of the city. The amazing fact about this falls is that it only flows during Summer particularly at the end of March to the beginning of June. No wonder it is called the "seasonal falls".

mariwasafalls.jpg

The Statue of Maria Laguna is just a representation of the legendary lady guardian of the two lakes. Mindanaoan are believers of different dieties particularly those who are connected with nature. In vernacular, dieties are called "Diwata". Maria Lina Laguna is called the "Diwata ng Lawa".

istatwa.jpg

Lastly, the Shrine of the Holy Calvary is a religious remains from Jesuit Missionaries who happened to have built their secret convent in this hill during Japanese-American war in the Philippines.

shrineofcalvary.jpg

LAGUNA WHARF

I think this is something strange in Laguna City. :uhm: This project is perhaps the destroyer of the natural beauty of this city. :meh:

lagunawharf.jpg

That's it for today folks! I hope you like my update today. Feel free to say anything about my city journal. It would be a pleasure to read any comment.

THANK YOU!

kench

Laguna City Part 2

header2.jpg

LAGUNA CITY PART 2:

The Other Face of the City

Sta. Maria is just a walking distance from San Jose. The only road leading to this community is the rocky road which is presented in the last update. Today, we will explore Barangay Sta. Maria which is considered as the "Other Face of Laguna City". It is considered as the "other face" because it is totally different from San Jose -- from the style of houses to its medium wealth commercial shops. Most people living in this community are fairly educated and knows well about the importance of education in their lives. Nevertheless, San Jose and Sta. Maria's residents are considered "medium wealth" residents.

WELCOME TO BARANGAY STA. MARIA!

stamaria.jpg

Sta. Maria is more progressive than San Jose in terms of its economic activities. The primary reason is that the place is more desirable for commercial shops and establishments due to its people and clean environment. Som of its good commercial shops are the following:

1. LAGUNA CONVENIENCE SHOP

conveniencestores.jpg

2. AGDAO COMMERCIAL WAREHOUSE(left) & NCCC DEPARTMENT STORE(right)

storeh.jpg

3. SHELL GAS STATION

(the biggest oil company in Mindanao)

shell.jpg

4. TESCO Convenience and Drug Store

tescop.jpg

5. MARKET SIM

(an airconditioned market where customers are mostly seaport crews and foreign ship captains, and seamen)

marketsim.jpg

6. Jollibee Foods

(Fast-food restaurant chain based in the Philippines)

jollibee.jpg

7. Other Small Commercial Shops

shops1.jpg

shops2.jpg

Marina Park and Plaza were also established in this community to provide relaxation for its citizens and workers.

marinar.jpg

marinaplaza.jpg

...and the functional landmark named "Filipiniana Lighthouse"...

lighthouse2.jpg

...let's take a closer look on the lighthouse...

lighthouser.jpg

The progress of the community was the product of its responsible and cooperative residents...

resdi.jpg

res2.jpg

...the residents are also responsive in the maintenance of the cleanliness of the second lake in Laguna City...

lake2v.jpg

...Barangay Sta. Maria has indeed brought the good side of its city...

THANK YOU FOR VIEWING!

kench

header2hk.jpg

THE ROAD TO BARANGAY STA. MARIA

Before we can enter to the second barangay of Laguna City, let's drive first on the rocky road leading to that place. Its approximately 500 meters away from San Jose. For us, the the length of the road is considered a "walking distance". The adjective 'rocky' doesn't really describe the road itself but actually the roadside. As you go on through the pictures, you would obviously notice that along the sides of the roads are boulders, rocks, and other stones residing within the foot of the mountain. So if you decide to go to Barangay Sta.Maria from Barangay San Jose, you better pray that it won't rain because you might experience rockslide along the way. 2.gif

The beginning point of this rocky road is in the corner of Phase 2, Barangay San Jose...

cr1w.jpg

...then we'll just continue following the road way direction...

cr2h.jpg

cr3qx.jpg

cr4i.jpg

cr5f.jpg

cr6tp.jpg

The road intersection gives us hint that we're getting closer to the territory of Barangay Sta. Maria...

cr7w.jpg

cr8f.jpg

cr9g.jpg

Finally we're here... in the other side of Laguna City!

stamaria.jpg

We are now ready to explore the small but terrible place named as "Barangay Sta. Maria"...

NEXT UPDATE:

THE OTHER FACE OF LAGUNA CITY

(LAGUNA CITY PART 2)

THANK YOU FOR VIEWING!

2.gif

kench

Laguna City Part 1

header2hk.jpg

LAGUNA CITY PART 1:

The city of Laguna is known for its two enchanted lakes. The city was named after Maria Lina Laguna who was, according to legend, the enchantress and the keeper of these two lakes. Laguna City is a medium-wealth city of Cotabato Region with only few residents and job opportunities. The city serves one of the major entry point of Mindanao known as the Laguna Wharf. Aside from that, its two lakes has become one of the major tourist attraction specially when seen on top of the mountain.

Laguna has two medium communites namely Barangay San Jose and Barangay Sta. Maria. "Barangay" is the smallest administrative division in the Philippines and is the native Filipino term for a village, district or ward. Barangays are further subdivided into smaller areas called "Puroks" (English: Zone or Phase).

These 2 barangays is divided by the two lakes. On the first part of this update, I will just be featuring the Barangay San Jose which is located on the right side of the picture below.

samalcity.jpg

The first lake is in the territory of Barangay San Jose. This is the smallest lake among the two lakes in terms of its plane area. The clear water proves that even if the city has become industrialized, the people still cares for the environment. However, a bill has been passed to the Congress to provide protection of these lakes from the abuses of some residents and dirty industries. (I just hope that the bill will be approved as soon as possible!)

lake1.jpg

We now go to the residential area of this city which is considered informal and legal. This is again subdivided into two phase/zone -- Phase 1 and Phase 2. Most of the people living in here are deprived of quality education. Moreover, only those who can afford to send their children in bigger cities has the privilege to receive complete education of higher quality. As a result, some works in the dirty industrial plants, waiters in restaurants, janitors, and other work labeled as "blue collared jobs". 

residential.jpg

This is Phase 2. Its just a small part of Barangay San Jose and just considered as the extension of the said barangay.

resphase2.jpg

The only school established by the government is the San Jose Elementary School. The school offers primary level of education particularly nursery, kindergarten, and first to sixth grade only. The nearest high school is located on the other city. For them, education is not a priority! But for me, education is really important! The reason why we were colonized by the foreign countries is the ignorance of the people. Aside from that, the lessons of the past taught us that "the tyranny of some is caused by the negligence of the others..."  I hope that history won't repeat itself!

sanjosees.jpg

Barangay San Jose has a small commercial area where most of the customers are travelers, tourists, ship captain, ship crew, and other workers of the Laguna Wharf.

downtown1.jpg

downtown2d.jpg

night2g.jpg

The only surviving hotel business in the city is the Regency Inn. The service are quite good. No wonder why they have cheap check-in fee.

regencyinn.jpg

And finally, the only medical center serving the entire community. This a government-funded medical center and receives only 5% of the Annual City Budget.

clinic.jpg

Once again this is Barangay San Jose, Laguna City, Cotabato Region.

nightgn.jpg

THANK YOU FOR VIEWING!

9.gif

kench

Announcement

ANNOUNCEMENT:

For all viewers of this CJ:

I have updated most of my journal entries and the list of these entries is presented below. On this updated journal entry, I have added some enhanced photo and edited the texts and caption... I am looking forward for some constructive comment so that I can further develop this City Journal. 9.gif9.gif9.gif

Pg. 002 - Government Buildings

Pg. 004 - Historical Landmarks

Pg. 007 - Tagum City Part 1 : Malls

Pg. 009 - Tagum City Part 3: Corporate Area

Pg. 011 - Tagum City Night-shots (Updated)

The City of Two Lakes is about 90% complete.

SO WATCH OUT FOR MY NEXT UPDATE!

THANK YOU!

kench

kench

THE CITY OF TWO LAKES

On my next update, I will be featuring a city outside Davao Region. I have decided that this city takes pride of their two lakes. Take note, not only one but two lakes. I am still working on this city and I'll try my best to finish it as soon as possible.

So this is it... just two picture of the lake to give you some idea about my next update.  

mosaicd.jpg

lake2b.png

oh, by the way...

MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!

kench

CATCHMENT AREA

DIGOS CATCHMENT AREA

Catchment areas is a large area bounded by watersheds draining into a river, basin or reservoir. This is an area that absorbs water that contributes to a specific region's surface or groundwater supply. Digos Catchment Area is an enclosed area where large part of the Davao River water are stored in large natural basin. This is a protected area by the Mindanaoan government particularly in the Davao Region because this is one of the major source of clean and potable water. The specific agency concerned in water supply is the Davao Region Water District (DRWD).

How do they process those water from the river?

1. First of all, the Catchment Area's main tributary river is the Davao River connected by a river drop (small waterfalls).

slide1y.gif

2. Water from the river drop goes through the 10 hectare-meter (average volume of lake per meter depth) natural basin forming a lake.

slide2mo.gif

3. An artificial channel have been created to divert the flow of water from the basin to the water processing plant (see corner left part of the above picture). Since large volume of water is being diverted, engineers decided to put up another small lake called the Forebay to minimize the energy dissipated by the large volume of water. (Water can be very destructive!) Water that is ready for treatment are collected in the forebay. The water in the forebay, on the other hand, is supplied by the natural basin. 

slide3.gif 

4. After passing through the forebay, water is then transported through a conveyance channel flowing in the water treatment plant. A flood gate have been constructed to control the inflow of water to the treatment plant especially after heavy rainfall. Just after the flood gate is a large filter where organic materials such as dry leaves are separated from the water. (No filter in the pic! hehehe...) This is the first step of treatment.

slide4.gif

5. Water now enters the Treatment Plant for disinfection of dangerous microorganisms. DRWD utilizes chlorination as the primary way of treating water. However, during summer where sun is extremely hot, they use UV rays to kill those microorganisms present in water.

slide5.gif

6. After treating, the water is now stored in a very large storage tank ready for direct supply and for future use. Two large pumps are installed to distribute the water from the storage tank to another pumping substations.

slide6.gif

7. This is the process of distributing water: Main pumping station --> Pumping substations --> Usage. Water are used for domestic, civic, trade and industry, and public purposes. Of course, we should also account for losses. :)

slide7n.gif

So that's it! That is their process of making use the water from the Catchment Area. However, let us look on the other side of this process.

Water from the catchment does not permanently remain in the basin and not all water from the basin is used for water supply. DRWD never disturbs the natural system of the river. Natural spillway channel drains the excess water from the basin.

slide8.gif

The flow of the natural spillway channel then undergo a certain drop of elevation forming another waterfalls which makes a perfect view from the McArthur Avenue.

slide9.gif

And finally, the excess water (or tailwater) goes back to the natural flow of the river which sustains life for other living organisms.

slide10.gif 

The Digos Catchment Area is also a popular spot for educational field trips. This is also a good tourist destination because inside the area is the replica of the Palace of Fine Arts.

slide11t.gif

slide12.gif

slide13.gif

Just a few reminders... The catchment area is a protected place. Hence, visitors are allowed only to tour inside from 9:00 am to 7:00 pm and only during Saturday and Sunday.

slide14.gif

That's it! Thank You for viewing...

PLEASE RATE AND COMMENT!  

kench

TeaserzzZZ

On my next update... I will be featuring the source of clean and potable water in Davao Region ---

THE DIGOS CATCHMENT AREA. 

catchment.jpg

catchment.jpg

DIGOS CATCHMENT AREA.

A large part of the Davao River which serves as a basin for surface water run-off.

kench

Residential Settlement

This is a very big update. I think I have presented 28 slides in this page...not sure about it!  High speed internet is an advantage!  9.gif

THE RESIDENTIAL SETTLEMENT

THREE MAJOR RESIDENTIAL SETTLEMENT OF TAGUM CITY:

Ladislawa Homes, Inc.

Juliville Village

Skyline Village

Cataluna Community (The illegal settlers)

There are generally two classification of residential settlement in Mindanao. Residences are classified according to their formality and legality. Formal settlement are those residential areas that are arranged accordingly by blocks or one that follows grid system. Otherwise, it is called informal. On the other hand, legal residential areas are those areas that have been approved and validated by Mindanaoan Government. Home-owners are legally issued with "Certificate of Land Title" as the major proof of ownership.

Here are some random pics of the low dense residential areas in Tagum... Hope you like the way we establish homes in Mindanao. 1.gif

slide1hf.jpg

slide2y.jpg

slide3f.jpg

slide4ba.jpg

slide5lg.jpg

slide6h.jpg

slide7u.jpg

slide8.jpg

slide9z.jpg

slide10y.jpg

slide11f.jpg

slide12c.jpg

slide13c.jpg

slide14e.jpg

slide15p.jpg

slide16kt.jpg

slide17g.jpg

slide18a.jpg

slide19g.jpg

slide20y.jpg

slide21v.jpg

...and finally the worst settlers...

slide22j.jpg

slide23vc.jpg

...together, Ladislawa, Juliville, Skyline, (and Cataluna) continue to provide source of labor force in every economic activity in Tagum City...

slide24s.jpg

-END-

... thank you for viewing ...

PLEASE RATE AND COMMENT!

kench

The Queen Island of Mindanao is finally back after more than one month of being in "IDLE" mode... The author of this CJ (which is me) is now back after a series of school works and extra-curricular activities. I was now having my christmas vacation, hence, more updates will be expected. I hope everyone enjoys my CJ expecially to my "kababayans" -- FILIPINOS!

TAGUM CITY NIGHT-SHOTS

After a couple of days of playing SC4, I have finally finished working on Tagum City. As I have emphasized on my earlier entries, Tagum City is basically a city of trade and commerce. This is one of Davao Region's leading cities in terms of economic statistics and income status. However, its downtown areas are not filled with skyscrapers because it is still considered as "developing city". 

One of the most beautiful night shot (for me) that I have ever taken is from this city. City lights, street lamps, and building lights filled the lands of the city showing to the world that the city is still alive even at night...

tagumatnight.jpg

slide1c.jpg

slide3h.jpg

slide2yt.jpg

slide5n.jpg

slide4y.jpg

slide6u.jpg

...Tagum City has indeed grown and slowly removing itself from the dark side of the THIRD WORLD CITIES...

Next Update: 

THE URBAN SPRAWL

(residential settlement in Mindanao)

PLEASE RATE AND COMMENT! 

kench

Shades of Black & White

Color can do anything that black-and-white can. 

Vincente Minnelli - 

corporatebw1.jpg(photos taken from Tagum Corporate Area)

corporatebw2.jpg

photos taken from Tagum Corporate Area

"Does Black and White photos look good?" 

kench

Tagum City Part 3: THE CORPORATE AREA

In this update, I will show you the "concrete jungle" of Tagum City -- The Tagum Corporate Area (TCA). The TCA is where most of Tagum's financial resources are concentrated. This is an informal district just behind the Ayala Compound (Robinsons Mall, Gaisano Shopping Center, etc..). It mainly encompasses the Grand Men Seng Corporation, Legaspi Financial Corporation, Ayala Land and Development Corporation, Smart Communications Incorporated and many others. Much of the area is owned mostly by Mindanaoan investors and administered through Davao Commercial Estates Authority (DACEA). Many tall skyscrapers rise in this area but there are buildings that have been bankrupt and does not continue its operation. The DACEA has been inviting several investors from different cities to replace the dilapadated area.

corporatearea.jpg

The road that will lead you to the Tagum Corporate Area (TCA) is the Quimpo Boulevard...

quimpoblvd.jpg

The Quimpo Boulevard is a 6-lane avenue (3 lanes per direction). The avenues in Tagum is known for its palm median alternately decorated with banners. Other cities in Mindanao imitated Tagum's idea of building avenues.

quimpoblvd2.jpg

After a short ride, you will see the majestic grounds of Marco Polo Hotel telling you that you are already at the entrance road of TCA. 

marcopolok.jpg

...but entering TCA through this road is sometimes very time-consuming especially during rush hours (7am - 9am and 6pm - 8pm). Hence, I would suggest you to travel through an alternate route or the best way is to travel via subway or in Bajada Entry Point which is located just at behind the Wal Mart Supermarket.

bajadaentry.jpg

...so that's it for today... once again, let me present to you the small but growing financial district of Tagum City...

overviewtca.jpg

---END---

...thanks for viewing...

-kench-

kench

Tagum City Part 1: Malls

TAGUM CITY Part 1: MALLS IN TAGUM

Tagum City is the second richest city in Mindanao. It is considered to be the hub for commerce and business. The city is strategically located at the northern part of Davao Region. It is located 55 kilometers north of Davao City , the capital of Davao Region . As such, it is about 1 hour and 30 minutes travel time to Davao City.

Anyway... Let us now go and shop in the different malls located in the city...

So here's the overview of the Shopping Area of Tagum. The largest shopping area is popularly known as the Ayala Compound because it comprises mostly Ayala-owned shopping malls and commercial entity. The said compound is consist of the following:

The Robinsons Mall of Tagum

FoodLion Shopping Center

Robinsons Commercial Spaces

Robinsons Commercial Spaces (Annex)

Wal Mart Supermarket

slide1jw.jpg

Going inside this district is sometimes very time-consuming especially during peak hours. The Bajada Entry Point is considered to be one of the busiest intersection in the city because it serves as entry to Tagum Corporate Area (on the left) and Ayala Shopping District (straight).

bajadaentrypoint.jpg

First, let us go inside the biggest mall in Tagum -- the Robinsons Mall. Upon entering, we will see 10 billboards for the purpose of advertising a product, promotion of movies, and other announcements. Before going inside the mall, we should first find an available space where we can park our cars. In the Robinsons Mall of Tagum, there are three available car parks.

robinsonsmall.jpg

If you don't like shopping at these huge mall, you can still choose to shop at the FoodLion Shopping Center which is located just in front of the Robinsons Mall. This is an excellent shop for dry goods such as clothes, jeans, shirts, etc...

foodlion.jpg

The day won't be complete without buying some food supplies and other grocery items in the WAL MART Supermarket which is located adjacent to FoodLion Shoppping Center.

walmart.jpg

The Robinsons Mall, FoodLion, and the WAL MART Supermarket are owned by the Ayala Corporation. The compound of this shopping district is also a good place for other commercial services and offices. This is the reason why some portion of the land were occupied by some commercial establishment. Moreover, rental fees are collected in exchange for the spaces occupied. Most businesses located in this area are owned by the Mindanaoan-Chinese businessmen.

comspaces.jpg

An extension or annex of these commercial spaces was also established due to high demand of trade and commerce in this area. The annex is located adjacent to FoodLion Shopping Center and just behind Tagum Corporate Area.

comspacesextension.jpg

So that's it... Those are the major commercial entity in the Ayala Compound. And this is its nightshot...

ayalacompound.jpg

Let's go outside this compound and take a look on other shopping areas in the city outside on this compound.

For not so rich citizens, the Tagum Divisoria is the perfect place to shop. Most stores in this shopping area is offering some discount for wholesale buying. Aside from that, their products are in good quality even if its very low in price. According to some students outside Tagum, "Divisoria is the best place to buy accessories, shoes, school and office supplies, sporting goods, and other stuffs at a very low price...I can buy a lot of things from my P500.00..."

divisoria.jpg

There is also a good commercial entity that offers reasonable prices while offering good quality. Such a case is the NAFMIS and FELCRIS Shopping Center. This is strategically located just in front of the very large Monteverde Commercial District and a 100 meters away from Ladislawa Homes. NAFMIS and FELCRIS sell dry goods only such as shoes, dress, shirts, jeans, and other items found in a typical department store. They sell less expensive items compared to Robinsons and FoodLion Mall. 

nafmisfelcris.jpg

---END---

***thanks for viewing***

PLEASE RATE AND COMMENT!

kench

POLITICS Part 2

Special Note: Some personalities that is posted in this page are incumbent politicians and the others are already retired. I have chosen them because they are some of my favorite politicians in our country. These politicians are all worthy of honor for their magnificent contribution in the development of our nation.  

POLITICS Part 2:

Mindanao's Chief Officers in the Executive Branch of the Federal Government

I. PRIME MINISTER

slide2vs.jpg

Date of Birth: June 14, 1964

"In a time of great change, a beacon is needed to guide my countrymen"

Early Life:

Teodoro is the only child of Gilberto C. Teodoro Sr., the former Social Security System administrator and Mercedes Cojuangco, former Batasang Pambansa member. Teodoro is closely identified with his uncle, San Miguel Corp. boss Eduardo Cojuangco Jr.

Interests:

Teodoro has been reading “The Miracle of Asia”, a book which cites the story of the development of China and Indonesia and a book about the insurgenicies of fourth generation warfare entitled “The Slingshot and the Stone”.

Education:

Teodoro graduated from De La Salle University with a degree in Management of Financial Institutions. He also holds a law degree from the University of the Philippines, and a master’s degree from the Harvard Law School in the US.

Teodoro topped the bar exams in 1989, becoming one of the youngest bar topnotchers in the country. He also took and passed the New York State Bar exams in 1997.

All infos are posted in this site: http://en.wikipilipinas.org/index.php?title=Gilbert_Teodoro,_Jr.

Presidential Plate No.:      1

Presidential Airplane:        Philippine Airline No. 000

Official Residence:            The Great Palace of Mindanao (Central Government District)

Official Seal:

slide1v.jpg

II. THE SIX REGIONAL AMBASSADORS

slide3z.jpg

slide4r.jpg

They are all elected last May 2006. They will serve their respective regions for a period of 8 years.

mapii.jpg

III. SOME FACTS ON MINDANAO REGIONS AND CITIES

REGION RANKING IN TERMS OF ECONOMY:

1. Davao

2. Agusan

3. Cagayan de Oro

4. Cotabato

5. Zamboanga

6. Surigao

TOP 10 RICHEST CITIES IN MINDANAO:

1. Davao City (Davao)

2. Tagum City (Davao)

3. Digos City (Davao)

4. Yaeh City (Agusan)

5. General Santos City (Cotabato)

6. Cagayan de Oro City (Cagayan de Oro)

7. San Francisco City (Agusan)

8. Mati City (Davao)

9. Valencia City (Agusan)

10. Butuan City (Cagayan de Oro)

Poorest City: Maguindanao City (Cotabato)

TOP 5 MOST POPULATED CITY:

1. Davao City

2. Cagayan de Oro City

3. Zamboanga City

4. Yaeh City

5. Valencia City

Highest Ambassador Rating: Richard 'Dick" Gordon

Corruption Hater: Mirriam Santiago

Wealthiest Ambassador: Manny Villar

Most Strict Ambassador: Bayani Fernando

Most Intelligent: Jesse Robredo

Environmentalist: Lito Atienza 

***All Ambassador conducts their monthly meeting every third Friday of the month at the Maharlika Building located in the Central Government District of Davao City.***

IV. THE CABINET AGENCIES:

Executive Secretary

Department of Foreign Affairs (newly established)

Department of Agriculture

Department of Budget and Management

Department of Education

Department of Energy

Department of Environment and Natural Resources

Department of Finance

Department of Health

Department of Interior and Local Government

Department of Justice

Department of Labor and Employment

Department of National Defense

National Economic and Development Authority

Department of Public Works and Utilities

Department of Science and Technology

Department of Social Welfare and Development

Department of Tourism

Department of Trade and Industry

Department of Transportation and Communication 

Bureau of Internal Revenue

Commission on Higher Education

Office of Presidential Legal Counsel

Office of Presidential Spokesman

Office of Presidential Management Staff

---END---

PLEASE RATE AND COMMENT!

kench

General Information

This City Journal is an expression of patriotism and love to my beloved country, Philippines, particularly in Mindanao.  

GENERAL INFORMATION, INTRODUCTION, PREVIEW, ETC...

As I have stated in the first entry of this city journal, all names, photos, and other information published in this journal does not necessarily reflect what is in the Philippines or Mindanao in the real perspective. This is just an expression of my dream in reforming my country and at the same time an expression of my passion in the game so called Sim City 4. I have already published four entries and have not updating regularly since I have difficulty maintaining the consistency of ideas in building this CJ and have been very busy in my studies. I seldom play SC4. However, I will try my best to handle this and make this journal as nice as possible.

So here it is… the General Information about Mindanao.

Official Name:                  The Federal Island of Mindanao

Common Name:               Mindanao

Capital City:                       Davao City (located in the Davao Region)

Geography and Location:            

The Mindanao is one of the largest islands in the world lying off the southeast coast of the Asian mainland between Taiwan and Borneo. It is bounded in the west by the South China Sea, in the east by the Pacific Ocean, in the south by the Sulu and Celebes Seas, and in the north by the Visayan Seas. In easy terms, it is located on the southern part of the Republic of the Philippines.

250pxphlocatormapmindan.png

People:                Mindanaoans are of Indo-Malay (51.3%), Chinese (23.4%), Japanese (18.6%), and American (6.7%) ancestry.

Language:           The official, commercial and legal language is English though the national language is Filipino. English is widely spoken in urban areas and is the medium of instruction in higher education as well as being the language of commerce. However, among people with little formal education, English ability is often poor to non-existent.

Climate:               The Mindanao is normally warm with abundant rainfall and gentle winds. There are three pronounced seasons: wet to rainy from June to October; cool and dry weather from November to February; and hot and dry weather from March to May. This is the only typhoon-free island in Southeast Asia.

Religion:              The Mindanaoans are predominantly Catholic although Islam and Protestantism are also practiced.

Currency:            Peso is the unit of currency. Bank notes: P5, P10, P20, P50, P100, P500, and P1,000. Coins: P5, P2, P1, 50c, 25c, 10c, and 5c.

Flag of the Nation:

philippinesflag.gif

The Philippine Flag is the national emblem of the country.

Note: I used the Philippine flag since this is the only available Lot in STEX.

Independence:

It has achieved its independence last December 1, 1990 by virtue of Proclamation No. 1201 of the President of the Republic of the Philippines declaring Mindanao as a separate state of the said Republic. 

Government System:

The Federal Island of Mindanao has a Federal type of government. Federal government is a form of government in which several states or regions defer certain powers, for example, in foreign affairs, to a central government while retaining some measure of self-government. It is subdivided into six major regions – Davao, Agusan, Surigao, Cotabato, Zamboanga Peninsula, and Cagayan de Oro.

City Environment / Setting: 

As a former associate of the Philippines, Mindanao adopts a Filipino setting but not absolutely 100%. Cities are based mostly from a typical Filipino city with some touches of American and European set. In short, it is a contemporary Filipino city.

slide1kp.jpg

slide2kq.jpg

Note: I must admit that building a genuine Filipino city/Mindanao city in SC4 is really difficult because most of the SC4 Lots and Models uploaded in the STEX, SC4Devotion, and other SC4 sites are of Western style. Most of my city arrangement are based (partly) on the real scenario.  

Here is one picture of  my SC4 version of a Mindanaoan City. 

tagumatnight.jpg

...Thanks for viewing...

PLEASE RATE AND COMMENT!

kench

Historical Landmarks

HISTORICAL LANDMARKS

Good Day! In this city journal, we will take a tour at some of the important landmarks and places in Mindanao... My first few update will introduce you on the style of Minadanaoan cities. Aside from that, this will give you an idea that even if Mindanao is an Asian country, it does not necessarily follow that the style of my cities is pure Asian. Moreover, Filipino style buildings, lots and other sc4 stuffs are not available in any Sim City sites, hence, I decided to mix some Western style in this Asian city.

Feel free to say anything about this city journal... any comment will be accepted.  1.gif

MARCOS MEMORIAL PARK.

President Ferdinand Marcos is the historical dictator president of the Republic of the Philippines. Marcos have made a significant contribution in the development of Mindanao in terms of its economy. Moreover, Mindanao became a very powerful state during his regime.

marcosmemorial.jpg

MARCOS ROYALTY PALMS PLAZA.

Behind the Marcos Memorial Park is a Palms Plaza also named after the dictator president. Mindanaoans used to celebrate Marcos Day in this plaza every August 26.

marcosroyaltypalms.jpg

PALASYO DE ESPANYA.

This is the seat of Spanish Government when Mindanao was still their colony. It is now preserved and secured by the nation government to ensure the proper stability of the structure. At present, only authorized person are allowed to go inside.

palasyodeespanya.jpg

MAYOR'S TRIBUTE STATUE.

This is one of the tribute state for the incumbent Prime Minister of Mindanao from the Mindanao Society of Architects. The place was not yet named. However, it serves as a major landmark in Yaeh City which is located just in front of their city hall.

tributestatue.jpg

PLAZA MIRANDA.

The fountain plaza just in front of the Maharlika Building in the Central Government District of Davao City.

plazamiranda.jpg

PALACE OF FINE ARTS.

A protected landmark inside Digos Catchment Area.

palaceoffinearts.jpg

TORE NG PAGKAKAISA (Tower of Unity).

The tallest landmark structure in Mindanao located in Tagum City just in front of Monteverde Commercial District.

towerofindependence.jpg

DRAGON PARK.

A collaborative gift from Filipino-Chinese Community residing in Mindanao.

dragonpark.jpg

PRESIDENT RAMOS MONUMENT.

A monument built by President Ramos itself. Twelve years after, on the exact date that this monument was built, Mindanao was declared as a separate nation of Philippines. This faces San Pedro Cathedral in Digos City.

presramosmonument.jpg

PLAZA OF GOOD HOPE.

This is the latest project of the Department of Utilities and Infrastructure which was finished last September 2010. It became open to the public last October 10, 2010 (10/10/10) -- a very lucky day! This plaza is a symbol of good hope for Mindanao to prosper for the upcoming years.

plazamiranda.jpg

Thanks for viewing! Watch out for my next update... 2.gif

PLEASE RATE AND COMMENT! 

kench

Government Buildings

OVERVIEW OF SOME GOVERNMENT BUILDINGS

Government buildings in Mindanao are primarily influence by Western architecture. Most government buildings are established during Spanish and American occupation and some of it are still functional at present. The government is making their own way to preserve the historical government buildings brought by foreign countries in the Island of Mindanao.

THE GREAT PALACE OF MINDANAO

greatpalace.jpg

BATASANG PAMBANSA (LEGISLATIVE HOUSE)

batasangpambansa.jpg

MAHARLIKA BUILDING (HOUSE OF AMBASSADORS)

maharlika.jpg

REGIONAL TRIAL COURT OF DAVAO

rtc11.jpg

NATIONAL ARCHIVES

natarchives.jpg

MINDANAWON NATIONAL LIBRARY

mindanawonlibrary.jpg

...and finally, the City Hall of some major cities...

cityhallcdg.jpg

tagumcityhall.jpg

cityhalldigos.jpg

The 333 years of Spanish colonization and 40 years of American occupation has indeed brought great influence in the identity of the Philippines particularly in Mindanao. Part of this is what you see in their old government buildings.

...thanks for viewing my CJ... 9.gif

PLEASE RATE AND COMMENT!

kench

POLITICS Part 1

Important Notes:

This city journal is not a replica of the existing Island of Mindanao in the country Philippines. Hence, SC4 photos and videos presented in this journal do not necessarily reflect what is in Mindanao in the real perspective. Moreover, this is my own recreation of Mindanao and an expression of my desire for a change.

WELCOME TO THE QUEEN ISLAND OF MINDANAO!

This is my first CITY JOURNAL in Simtropolis (obviously!). I have published this CJ on this day because this is also the day that I first play SIM CITY 4. In short, I have been playing SC4 for 1 year... I think this one year is an enough time to build several cities based on my own perspective. So much for that... let me start with my first CJ.

On the first entry of my journal, let us talk more about the type of government that the Island had adopted. But before anything else, please remember that all facts presented here are just fictitious…

The island had adopted federal democratic type of government. As a federal government the island has six great regions which are independent to each other in terms of economic activities. 

mapii.jpg

These means that the annual income of each region goes to the region itself, so several projects for public purposes is not a problem since the region utilizes its own money. However, in order to uphold unity as one nation, each region allocates 10% of its annual income to the central government as funding for the national treasury. These funds would be used for the National Defense, Armed Forces of Mindanao, Mindanao National Police, and other agencies concerning national projects.

The government is subdivided into three branch of equal power namely the Legislative, Judiciary and Executive Department. Let us not talk more about the Legislative and Judiciary Department since that topic is too broad to discuss. So let us focus more on the Executive Department since this department is the most useful in this City Journal. The organizational structure of the bureaucracy is presented below. The Department of Foreign Affairs will be established as soon as the country is ready to open itself to the international arena. But for now, what is important is the Seven Departments who will work for the ongoing development of the country.

organizationalstructure.jpg

Officials in the office of the Federal Government and City Mayor are elected by the people for a period of eight (8) years. The rest of the officials are lawfully appointed by the Governor with an approval from the office of the Prime Minister.  

With this unsophisticated type of government, the Island have prosper and lived in harmony with only few areas considered as underdeveloped. Each region has significant contribution for the national development and was truly challenged by the fact that they should live by their own efforts and legal means. Still, Mindanaoan believes on the spirit of brotherhood and because of that each region aims to help one another in different ways.

With that… I proudly present to you my DREAM NATION…

headercy.jpg

Help Keep Simtropolis Online, Open & Free!

stexcollection-header.png

Would you be able to help us catch up after a bit of a shortfall?

We had a small shortfall last month. Your donation today would help us catch up for this month.

Make a Donation, Get a Gift!

We need to continue to raise enough money each month to pay for expenses which includes hardware, bandwidth, software licenses, support licenses and other necessary 3rd party costs.

By way of a "Thank You" gift, we'd like to send you our STEX Collector's DVD. It's some of the best buildings, lots, maps and mods collected for you over the years. Check out the STEX Collections for more info.

Each donation helps keep Simtropolis online, open and free!

Thank you for reading and enjoy the site!

More About STEX Collections