Sign in to follow this  
  • Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

About this City Journal

The nation of Rapture was created back in the mid-1800s and has since grown into a strong, robust country. Made great by its varied natural resources, this expansive region ranges from small...

Entries in this City Journal

lablover1

beaufortcitymay18661293.png

The main raliroad for Rapture is Taggart Continental. After the earthquake of 2046 which destroyed most of old-town Eden, Taggart Transcontinental (TT) relocated its head terminal to Beaufort City. Although only two tracks are visible, many more run underground, spanning out across the continent. Some head North, to the old cities, some head East, to the new frontier, and many head South, down through the industrial areas.

powderkegaug51112936385l.png

A slightly scenic view of one of the many industrial spurs that link to the main TT line. The amount of frieght hauled around Rapture every day totals in the hundreds of millions of tons. Many of the factories in the south have no other way to ship their goods effectively ove the mountains and steep inclines to the cities of the North.

medium1caug812129363626t.png

Some of the lines run out East, where there are still many towns poping up as more land is discovered. A coast has yet to be discovered on that side, and new explorers are pushing farther and farther every day. In these new areas, sometimes the railroad and the ferry are the only means of transportation back to the cities of the West.

lablover1

With new technologies springing up from the expanding laboratories in the North-East, near-space flight was soon readily accessible for many citizens of Rapture. In the high plains north of Eden, the Bondercraft Airebase was constructed. It took nearly a decade to build, and went over-budget by nearly $25.2 million. That did not matter to the company that financed the construction, Thurston Enterprises, because they were certain that this airbase would be able to turn a profit since it was the only one like it in the country.

The following is the news article as reported on the 14th of March, 2037:

bondercraftairbasemay14.png

- As I stepped out of my cab, I was greeted at the door by a woman in a green outfit. Set in a '50s style, the outfit made her look like a stewardess from those fancy flights you see in old movies. She greeted me with an enthusiastic, but generic, "Welcome! Here at Bondercraft Airbase, we are pioneering the aircraft of the future by testing new technologies that we help us go higher and higher! May I show you around a bit?"

We walked down an oppulent concourse. The company had spared no expense when they built this place. Beautiful vistas of the surrounding area shown brightly through ever window. I had been told that the airbase was situated on 30 or so acres, but that Thurston Enterprises had purchased nearly 500 acres of the surrounding area. As we reached the end, the young woman turned and smiled again at me, "Please follow me to the end of the terminal. Do you like what you see so far? It's breath-taking, isn't it? All of these windows are constructed from triple pane glass for more eco-friendly heating and cooling."

"There are two terminals through which we load the planes. Currently, we are in terminal B." Now this is what I was looking for! Outside of the terminal, a huge shuttle was parked next to me, waiting to be launched. I could not believe that technology had come this far! "Currently boarding is flight F972, bound for uper-atmospheric free-fall. This near-space shuttle is meant to simulate the effects of weightlessness. We have not quite been able to perfect space flight for our customers, but we are getting there."

"In total, there are 4 shuttles available, as well as many commercial flights. Our Control Tower is state of the art, with radars and tracking computers comparable to the military's. We have multiple storage tanks for fuel, as well as our own fire crew incase of any incidents." Well, I was thoroughly impressed. The future looks promising, and I like the looks of that!

lablover1

EC - Corraile

The men on the ship had finally found the new place to found their settlement. They figure that with such open access to the river delta, this site had the potential to become a commercial trading hub. They figured that they stood much to gain from establishing a colony here.

corrailejan300127224757.png

The ferry terminal was first to be established upon landing. On the coast, they constructed windmills to power the settlement. The breezes coming off the water kept the blades turning all the time, generating an uninterupted source of power for the settlement.

corrailemar400127224772.png

A farm and a few houses were the first structures to be built once the ferry terminal was completed. The farmer found that the earth was good and fertile, and sent word home on the next ferry.

corrailejul140112722478.png

Soon, word had spread that the land was good and open in Corraile, and immigrants starting flocking to this newly-opened area of wilderness. Farms sprang up all around the ferry terminal, with plans for more housing along the coast.

corraileaug250212722478.png

Coast Road was established as a residential area. Luxurious these homes were not, at first. The contractors expected that over time, this area would come to be one of the most affluent in Corraile. Additional housing was zoned on the other side of the road, with plans to one day make a sub-division out of the farm.

corrailefeb190712722484.png

As the town began to grow, so too did its thirst for lumber. Slaytfork Mill was established by the Slaytfork Family, the owner/operator of the first farm in Corraile. They recognized the monetary opportunity that they had by manufacturing lumber, and siezed it.

corrailefeb181012722486.png

The location for the town green was selected, and the area cleared. On what used to be dense forest, a proud church now stood. As more and more people started to move in to town, the death toll began to increase. It was inevitable that a cemetary be added, and a spot next to the church was selected. Several trees were planted on the lawn of the church to celebrate the town's 10th anniversary.

corrailedec191112722490.png

In a few years, the town center had nearly doubled in size. While the area was scenic, the steady supply of jobs was almost non-existent because of the instability of the growing season and how it affected the farms. If the townsfolk of Corraile were to prosper, they would need to find a more steady source of employment.

corrailefeb232127230540.png

A few fledgling industries set up shop on the edge of the coast in response to the demand for steadier source of jobs. The manufacturers specialized in assorted things; clock-making, furniture contruction, toy production. With manufacturing now underway, the town did not have to depend so heavily on what the ferry brought in to port.

corrailefeb916127224970.png

After 20 years, the settlement has grown into a bustling town with its own port, shops, and industry.

corrailejul219127225016.png

As the population expanded, so to do the industrial section. New sorts of industries began to develop, such as fertilizer plants to accomodate the large quantity of farms in the area.

corrailenov921127225037k.png

After a few years of logging, Slaytfork had begun to clear the land in all directions. The company figured that it had, possibly, another five years before it would have to abandon the mill due to the scarcity of resources in its direct area.

corrailenov921127225047.png

Slightly ahead of schedule, the area was cleared in under 4 years. However, the Slaytfork family did not want to give up its claim to wealth so quickly. Because the town was still expanding and consuming lumber at a furious rate, they decided that they would not shut the mill down but would float logs in from upstream. In addition to this change in business strategy, they immediately began constructing something that would help them push farther than any had gone before in Corraile.

corrailenov921127225060.png

One year later, Slaytfork Bridge was complete. Spanning the Corraile River, the bridge was the first human construction on the mainland. Wood soon flowed by the truck-load over the bridge and into the mill.

corrailenov921127225082.png

The Bell Farm was the biggest ever to be established in Corraile. Shortly after the Slaytforks has expanded into the mainland, so too did the Bell family, a successful merchant family from Ridgeback City. The bought all the land south of the Corraile and west of the Azyre.

corrailemar126127225157.png

The land soon became bare around the Slaytfork mill cut. Land where forest had once stood once auctioned off at a premium as ready-to-go farm-land. The Slaytforks continued to profit from Corraile.

corrailemar194112723059.png

One day, the Slaytfork Mill burst into flames. The origin of the fire was a mystery, although some suspected that the Slaytforks burnt it down themselves to collect insurance money on an industry that no longer had resources. The fire raged through the area, incinerating industries and farms until the local fire department was finally able to bring the blaze under control.

corrailedec285712723113.png

corrailemay264712723063.png

50 years in, things have certainly started to change. This once wild and untamed wilderness is now teeming with farms and villagers.

corrailedec285712723113.pngcorrailejun216012723115.png

50 years after being created, the homes on Coast Road still stand proud. The area, as predicted, has started to attract some richer residents. If only they had city water, and didn't have to pull from the shore...

corrailejun216012723115.pngcorrailejul247212723127.png

Outside of town, on the mainland, farms were still springing up. The Grimes family decided that they wanted to try farming sunflowers and cattle. They used the wind to power the milking machines and the lifts for the grain silos.

corrailejul247212723127.png

More to come!

In creating my cities, I try to stay as true to the game as possible, using mods only when nothing satisfactory exists. If you have any suggestions, leave a comment or send me a PM. Please remember to rate!

lablover1

When I created Rapture, I wanted a region that was so expansive and diverse that I would never have to create another region. The map that I used did not provide me with the diversity that I was initially looking for. Because it took nearly 12 hours to render on my computer, I did not want to start again. Instead, I created small chunks and blended them in with the original landscape.

To create these subset mimi-maps (that's what I call them in my head), I created a new region and rendered it using the map that I wanted. For the West Coast of Rapture, I found a map on the Exchange of a bay area (Puget Sound, WA), and rendered it seperatley. In order to import it into the main region, Rapture, I had to go through and name each one with a number system that I could remember. I went from top left to right and down, naming them 1 through - for each city size. This helped me to import the cities without having to guess. Although it is daunting work depending on the region size, when done the city will have to be obliterated unless you give them real names (Or maybe you don't care, in which case, build away!). I took the opportunity when naming each city to plop some trees around, making the un-built cities a forested section of the region.

The big expansion for Rapture was the River Region, out past the North/East Coast. This area was based off of a blown-up map of the Washington, DC area, with what I beleive is the Potomac running through the center. For this, I created a new addition to the region. In order to do this, I had to change the config.bmp. I simply added space and filled in colors according to what size cities I wanted. Then I went through the same process as with the West Coast above.

lablover1

EC - Celadon City

Celadon City was designed with a greener view of life in mind. The Central Park is maintained regularly by the city in order to have the greenest grass around. Greenry vines through the city streets and into many of the neighborhoods.

celadoncityjun392126455.png

St. Erika's Cathedral is on the east side of the central park. The Cathedral has been there since the initial ground-breaking ceremony. As the city's population began to grow the gardens by the ambulatory had to be paved over to provide more parking from the rear avenue.

High-end residences line the streets in this section of town. The signature double-wide avenues with parks down the center can be seen from every room facing the street. The tenements have even been designed with greenhouses on their roofs!

Just south of the green, the station clocktower can be heard throughout the city. Out-front is the station for the Green Line trolly, which runs through some of the more densely populated areas of the city. This inter-connection of mass transit has helped to facillitate the movement of the city's work-force every morning and evening.

celadoncityjun392126455o.png

Some of the older streets have been converted into one-ways, but the original brick tenements still stand. This section of row-houses is now backed by the Cobb Regency.

Open planning has allowed the large amounts of traffic in the city to commute relatively smoothly. An added bonus of this spacious layout is the greenery which is outside just about every window. The stadium is down and to the left. This section of town extends the charm of the park setting into the business district. This is the old Downtown, where most of the businesses and industries have been established for some time.

celadoncityjun392126456.png

The crown jewel of the New Downtown. This regional mall attracts shoppers from all over the West Coast of Rapture, and corporations have set up headquarters in the streets behind it.

celadoncityjun392126456s.png

lablover1

EC - Steerlewitz

The town of Steerlewitz was settled shortly after Jacksontown by a group of German farmers who could not find any land left withing the city limits of Jacksontown. They each set up their farms, and eventually a bridge was constructed from the tip of the city to the northern edge of Steerlewitz city limits.

steerlewitzjul191312710.png

It took only a few short years before more people began to flee the growing city on the island and took of a quieter residence in Steerlwitz.

About 20 years after the farmers had settled the land, a ferry port was put in. This road started to become a major hub of travel, and so the rail line was brought up to end in a large depot on the other side of the street.

steerlewitzoct102712710.png

lablover1

6 - North Shore

The North Shore of Rapture is a center of economic power for the nation. Up and down the coast, large cities with vast ports collect goods day in and day out. One of the biggest cities is Helmferth City, with its mountainous skyscrapers which grace the skyline.

rapture1271166724.png

Farther Northeast, the elevation starts to climb. For some cities, this has caused problems with development. Some cities have dug trench to keep the highway at a level grade for good stretches, while others just make the slope a bit more gradual. wrightdaleapr1219127179.png

Helmferth City is the hub of economics for this region. The downtown is full of corporate offices that stretch high into the sky.

helmferthcityoct1207127.png

The crown jewel of the business district is the Torne` Tower, which is the worl headquarters for Bank of Rapture. Depending on which side of the building your office is on, you will have a view of either the University, the seaport, the airport, or the North End.

helmferthcitydec2520612.png

As the Business District grew and expanded, the airport was relocated to the other edge of the city so as to better facilitate travel. This move made the airport serviceable from many of the adjoining cities.

helmferthcityjul5210127.png

The port is set in the cove at the mouth of the river opposite the commercial district. Many of the skyscrapers from the other side of the river have this beautiful view from their windows.

helmferthcitynov1220812.png

lablover1

3 - Heartland

The Heartland of the city is filled with farms, much like the outskirts. However, in the middle of the Heartland, on one of the great lakes, the city of Eden was established. Eden is the capitol of Rapture, and while it is significantly smaller than most of the other big cities, it still is the oldest.

Surrounding Eden are many smaller cities, as well as industries. All of these cities eventually give way to suburbs and then to farms, which connect to the outskirts.

lablover1

2 - West Coast

The West Coast of Rapture has many densly-populated cities, leading out to farmland in the hills. Beaufort Bay is at the mouth of the Winifred River, which runs from the inland sea. This is one of two bays on the West Coast, with the Caspian Ocean out to the left.

rapture1271112646.png

The metropolis that has sprung up around Beaufort Bay has many boroughs. The first and most interesting borough is Aurora. Named after the S.S. Aurora which sunk in 1912 on the coast, this section of the city reached its hey-day in the 1950s. Now, the high-end appartments are a bit run-down, but the streets still show some veiled splendor.

beaufortcitymay18661271.png

On the other side of the Bay, across the Justin Winifred Memorial Bridge, the city has sprawled a bit, mixing its medium and high density residences. The suburbs jut out in places, sometimes blending in with the natural lines of the city. The business district is off to the left. This is one of the more oppulent business districts in the Bay area, featuring a clear view across the Bay to the Beaufort Port.

beaufortcitymay18661271.png

Winifred Coast, which continues past the second borough and directly abutts the Capsian Ocean, is home to one of the biggest shipping ports on the West Coast.

winifredcoastjun1711271.png

The Winifred Coast also provides most of the power for the Bay area.

winifredcoastjun1711271.png

One of the citie's which the large Nuclear Power Facility generates electricty for is Celadon. www.simtropolis.com/cityjournals/

lablover1

1 - The Outskirts

On the outskirts of the city, farmland abounds. Although Rapture is noted for its many large, well-over-a-million populations, the rural areas on the outskirts might be the most scenic and interesting bits.

rapture1271084009.png

Old barns and farmhouses dot much of the country-side from when the first pioneers moved out to settle the land. Although much of the area was cleared, forest borders between farms can still be seen in many areas.

seldennmay4391266892504.png

Towns such as Steerlewitz are very common place. The amount of agriculture in the Outskirts is able to maintain the population of Rapture at 18 million people, with more being born every day.

medium1caug812129363626.png

Stone walls lace the country side on the outskirts of the major cities. The Taggart Transcontinental Railroad serves as the main source of transportation in these parts, although many Sims from the city also use the train to enjoy the many scenic vistas which abound on many of the main lines.

Sign in to follow this  

Help Keep Simtropolis Online, Open & Free!

stexcollection-header.png

Would you be able to help us catch up after a bit of a shortfall?

We had a small shortfall last month. Your donation today would help us catch up for this month.

Make a Donation, Get a Gift!

We need to continue to raise enough money each month to pay for expenses which includes hardware, bandwidth, software licenses, support licenses and other necessary 3rd party costs.

By way of a "Thank You" gift, we'd like to send you our STEX Collector's DVD. It's some of the best buildings, lots, maps and mods collected for you over the years. Check out the STEX Collections for more info.

Each donation helps keep Simtropolis online, open and free!

Thank you for reading and enjoy the site!

More About STEX Collections