Sign in to follow this  
  • Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

The REAL highway, Pt II

Sign in to follow this  
avrelivs

WELCOME to a tutorial on RHW curves.

a very difficult aspect of RHW is the inability to place puzzle pieces with ease.

the accurate placement of these puzzle pieces insures functionality and grace.

what follows below may seem to be a terribly simple demonstration. however, the reader must understand these basic concepts first, in order to facillitate future entries. i have plans for two MORE TUTORIALS. one called 'building on sloped terrain' and another called 'complex interchanges'

SO STAY TUNED!

(PIC 1)

the image below shows the RHW4 'double curve' 

i have placed tiles of (single click) road around the piece to indicate how many tiles the 'double curve' takes up.

rhwtutorial1.jpg

(PIC2)

now, in the picture below, i will demolish the tile seen in green.

rhwtutorial2.jpg

(PIC3)

Now this is the result below.

i have also plopped two RHW4 starter pieces heading in their appropriate direction.

IMPORTANT: NOTICE THE TWO SINGLE RHW TILES ON THE LEFT OF THE CURVE.

these two tiles are crucial for re-establishing the RHW system.

rhwtutorial3.jpg

(PIC4)

in the picture below i have connected the starter pieces with the RHW2 sharp-curves.

now i have a functional RHW4 system. (notice the two RHW tiles, mentioned above, still remain.)

rhwtutorial4.jpg

(PIC5)

now here i have demolished the 'single-click' road tiles (included the two RHW tiles)

i am left with a functional RHW4 sharp curve transition.

rhwtutorial5.jpg

(PIC6)

at this stage you should be able to plop the 'double curve' over-top the existing system.

..as seen below.

rhwtutorial6.jpg

(PIC7)

final smooth-curved system.

rhwtutorial8.jpg

(PIC8)

NOW, if you delete an part of the RHW and end up with this:

rhwtutorial7.jpg

the next three (PICs) will show a conceptual way of fixing this problem. it is not the easiest way. it demonstrates a basic concept that will become increasingly relevent when building on sloped terrain and building interchanges. stay tuned for those entries.

REFER back to (PIC3) now.

(PIC9)

see where the green highlighted tile is? demolish it.

rhwtutorial7a.jpg

(PIC10)

after you demolish that tile (as seen above) demolish the two tiles that are noted in (PIC3)

rhwtutorial7b.jpg

(PIC11)

now with single clicks (and single clicks only!) of the draggable RHW, tap the two tiles where the RHW2 meets the RHW4. 

(NOTE: the pic below only shows the first "tap")

now you should be at the same stage depicted in (PIC6)

rhwtutorial7c.jpg

BONUS TEASER PIC:

port1w.jpg

Sign in to follow this  

3 Comments

Recommended Comments

There are diagonal filler pieces which you can plop over the curve one by one... it's loads easier than destroying the entire curve. But nice tutorial, good how you've shown how much the curve occupies!

Share this comment

Hmmmm... Seaport is next on the list, i guess.

REQUEST: Terraforming and Terrain Detailing Tutorial... if it's ok!

Share this comment

@ROFLyoshi - your right, its not the "easiest" way, but the methods in this tutorial are meant to show you a way of understanding the RHW...so sloped terrain can be dealt with, and transitions/interchanges can be handled adequately.

this tutorial is done in a flat sandbox tile...but i also use this technique for making RHW curves on sloped terrain...slopes create diffiicult with RHW puzzle pieces because they wont plop down unless all tiles of the piece are level.

also, this is not an "end all be all" RHW tutorial...i was trying to design it as an intro to basic concepts that will appear (hopefully) in future entries of this journal.

@kench - im taking a break from tutorials right now, unless i get better feedback on this one.

Share this comment