• Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

Terraforming : Five Mile Beach Island

Sign in to follow this  
Jetty Jockey

header.jpg

Hello again !   It's been 3 weeks since my last post, and I've been hard at work on the region. If it seems longer than that, my journal

had the misfortune of being posted behind a bugged journal and was blocked from showing up in the  CJ list.  In case you may have

missed the Cape Island update, go back and take a look.   

Today's update features Five Mile Beach Island, more commonly known as the Wildwoods.  Prior to 1921, it was actually two seperate islands. Two Mile Beach Island ran northward from Cold Spring Inlet ( now Cape May Inlet)  to Turtle Gut Inlet, ( located about where

Toledo Avenue in Wildwood Crest is today). Five Mile Beach Island extended from Turtle Gut Inlet northward to Hereford Inlet.  The

barrier islands are seperated from the mainland by a one to two mile wide swath of  tidal marsh and shallow bays ( called Sounds).

These bodies of water are connected by a series of swift flowing tidal creeks and in some parts, man made canals, making up Cape

May County's section of  the Intercoastal Waterway system.

5MileBeachIsland.jpg

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

We begin at the Jarvis Sound tile. Ocean Drive enters from the west, heading to the end of the Garden State Parkway. It crosses a

series of smaller creeks before connecting to Two Mile Beach via the Middle Thorofare bridge. This is the southern point of entry into the Wildwoods.  North of Ocean Drive is a small harbor that is home to a good portion of Cape May's commercial fishing fleet.

JarvisSnd.jpg

lunds2003.jpg

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Continuing east , we come to Two Mile Landing section of Lower Township. Ocean Drive winds its way through the marshland on

the way to Wildwood Crest.  Several acres of this area have become a National Wildlfie Refuge. More commercial fishing boats

dock here as well.

2MileLdg.jpg

twomile.jpg

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Southeast of Two Mile Landing  is Electronics Beach, so named for the LORAN navigation system maintained and operated by the

US Coast Guard here.  With the implementation of GPS , the site was declared obsolete in 1999 and the land transferred to the US

Division of  Fish and Wildlife, which is converting  it into a wildlife preserve. Two long rock jetties extend from Cape May Inlet to

provide deep water access and prevent shoaling from the shifting sands . If you look very closely, you can see the red "CM" bell buoy ( bottom , center)  marking the entrance to Cape May Harbor

ElectronicsBeach.jpg

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Continuing northeastward, we come to the Wildwood Crest tile, which includes the southern half of Wildwood Crest and the

Diamond Beach section of Lower Township.  Prior to 1922, Turtle Gut Inlet  connected Sunset Lake ( top, center) to the Atlantic

Ocean.  The only battle of The American Revolution fought in Cape May County occured here, www.cresthistory.org/turtlegut.php

WildwoodCrest.jpg

crestview.jpg

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Continuing north, we reach Wildwood city proper. This Large tile also includes the nothern sections of Wildwood Crest, the city of West Wildwood, and the Shawcrest section of Middle Township. The NJ Route 47 causeway  provides the primary link to the mainland via the George Redding Bridge. An  railway bridge used to link West Wildwood and Wildwood to the mainland, but the line has been abandoned since the 1970's

Wildwood.jpg

Wildwood has the widest beaches in New Jersey. The jetties protecting Cape May Inlet stop the southward flow of sand along the beach.

As a result, Wildwood's beaches continure to grow, while those of Cape may are starved of sand.

Wildwoodbeach.jpg

The Glenwood Avenue Bridge provides the only access to West Wildwood.

WestWildwoodBridge.jpg

West Wildwood was literally built on top of the tidal marshland. As a result, the area is extremely vunerable to flooding.

Here's a pic taken during a 2008 Nor'easter illustrating that point.

westwwflood.jpg

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Continuing on, we come to North Wildwood.  Beach Creek  seperates Five Mile Beach Island from the tidal marshland to the

west. There is a tide pool on the north beach aside Hereford Inlet 

NWildwood.jpg

NWwetlands.jpg Beach Creek looking north towards N. Wildwood causeway

Hereford Inlet tidepool from atop the seawall

tidepool.jpg

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Well, that's all I have for this installment.  You may have noticed that the Cold Spring and Erma tiles are complete, along with a good chunk of the marshes between the southern end of Five Mile Beach Island and the mainland, but I'll save that for another update. Thanks again for viewing, and let's hope this update doesn't fall into the black hole that forms whenever Shulmanator updates 47.gif

Replies :

Towerdude:  Thank you !

ImVhOzzi   :   Still haven't gotten around to changing my avatar. Call me lazy :)

tepodon     :    Once I figured out the quirks of Cycledogg's mod, the terraforming is pretty easy.  It  does get pretty tedious hand drawing in all the creeks and ponds in the marshlands. I find it kinda ironic that I put the most work into areas where no one will ever live. Once the terraforming is complete, it should be fairly simple. The region is mostly rural. Nothing as intricate as your Tokyo or Towerdude's Hong Kong.

Reikhardt :  Thanks again for your encouragement!

-jj-

Sign in to follow this  

2 Comments

Recommended Comments