• Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

General Information

Sign in to follow this  
kench

This City Journal is an expression of patriotism and love to my beloved country, Philippines, particularly in Mindanao.  

GENERAL INFORMATION, INTRODUCTION, PREVIEW, ETC...

As I have stated in the first entry of this city journal, all names, photos, and other information published in this journal does not necessarily reflect what is in the Philippines or Mindanao in the real perspective. This is just an expression of my dream in reforming my country and at the same time an expression of my passion in the game so called Sim City 4. I have already published four entries and have not updating regularly since I have difficulty maintaining the consistency of ideas in building this CJ and have been very busy in my studies. I seldom play SC4. However, I will try my best to handle this and make this journal as nice as possible.

So here it is… the General Information about Mindanao.

Official Name:                  The Federal Island of Mindanao

Common Name:               Mindanao

Capital City:                       Davao City (located in the Davao Region)

Geography and Location:            

The Mindanao is one of the largest islands in the world lying off the southeast coast of the Asian mainland between Taiwan and Borneo. It is bounded in the west by the South China Sea, in the east by the Pacific Ocean, in the south by the Sulu and Celebes Seas, and in the north by the Visayan Seas. In easy terms, it is located on the southern part of the Republic of the Philippines.

250pxphlocatormapmindan.png

People:                Mindanaoans are of Indo-Malay (51.3%), Chinese (23.4%), Japanese (18.6%), and American (6.7%) ancestry.

Language:           The official, commercial and legal language is English though the national language is Filipino. English is widely spoken in urban areas and is the medium of instruction in higher education as well as being the language of commerce. However, among people with little formal education, English ability is often poor to non-existent.

Climate:               The Mindanao is normally warm with abundant rainfall and gentle winds. There are three pronounced seasons: wet to rainy from June to October; cool and dry weather from November to February; and hot and dry weather from March to May. This is the only typhoon-free island in Southeast Asia.

Religion:              The Mindanaoans are predominantly Catholic although Islam and Protestantism are also practiced.

Currency:            Peso is the unit of currency. Bank notes: P5, P10, P20, P50, P100, P500, and P1,000. Coins: P5, P2, P1, 50c, 25c, 10c, and 5c.

Flag of the Nation:

philippinesflag.gif

The Philippine Flag is the national emblem of the country.

Note: I used the Philippine flag since this is the only available Lot in STEX.

Independence:

It has achieved its independence last December 1, 1990 by virtue of Proclamation No. 1201 of the President of the Republic of the Philippines declaring Mindanao as a separate state of the said Republic. 

Government System:

The Federal Island of Mindanao has a Federal type of government. Federal government is a form of government in which several states or regions defer certain powers, for example, in foreign affairs, to a central government while retaining some measure of self-government. It is subdivided into six major regions – Davao, Agusan, Surigao, Cotabato, Zamboanga Peninsula, and Cagayan de Oro.

City Environment / Setting: 

As a former associate of the Philippines, Mindanao adopts a Filipino setting but not absolutely 100%. Cities are based mostly from a typical Filipino city with some touches of American and European set. In short, it is a contemporary Filipino city.

slide1kp.jpg

slide2kq.jpg

Note: I must admit that building a genuine Filipino city/Mindanao city in SC4 is really difficult because most of the SC4 Lots and Models uploaded in the STEX, SC4Devotion, and other SC4 sites are of Western style. Most of my city arrangement are based (partly) on the real scenario.  

Here is one picture of  my SC4 version of a Mindanaoan City. 

tagumatnight.jpg

...Thanks for viewing...

PLEASE RATE AND COMMENT!

Sign in to follow this  

5 Comments

Recommended Comments

tigeria is right... My dream is to have Mindanao as a separate state of the Philippines. However, Huston is also right that Mindanao, at present, is not an independent nation. The purpose of this CJ is to make my dream into reality...  

Share this comment