Petrohrad

• Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

Krumlov

Sign in to follow this  
Daan300

A new visit....... This time the southern most town in the province of Petrohrad: Krumlov. The town was founded somewhere in the XIXth century on the site of a large meander in the river Váh, but only became prosperous towards the end of the XVth century. In that century the original town, since then called "Old Town", was expanded by the "New Town". In both parts of the town a large concentration of historic buildings has survived, mainly from the XVIth century. Surrounding these two parts are a few suburbs and some vineyards and forests. The town is connected to Petrohrad both by train as well as by a motorway.

Traditionally, we'll start the tour in the historic part of town. First up is the Old Town. The most prominent building here is the Cathedral of Our Lady, built in 1226-1248. To the left the main square with the XVth century Town Hall.

PK21.png

The western part of the Old Town. Part of the main square is visible to the right.

PK20.png

The eastern part of the Old Town with the court house (large building near the bridge), built in 1892. On top and on the bottom the river Váh.

PK15.png

A different view of the main square, the town hall is clearly visible here.

PK10.png

To the north of the Old Town is the New Town. Again, many historic buildings here. To the right part of the castle complex of Krumlov (see below 1.gif). 

PK18.png

A view of the Benedictine Monastery in the New Town.

PK16.png

The bridge between the Old and New Town. Also visible is a part of the Krumlov castle (top) and the Franciscan Monastery (bottom right), founded in 1372.

PK19.png

An overview of the old part of town: to the right the Old Town, to the left the New Town. On top a part of modern Krumlov with the railway station to the top right. On the bottom some vineyards. (Sorry for the quality of this pic, it is a bit blurred. I've tried but can't get it better 30.gif).

PK13kopie.jpg

Despite the many, many historic buildings, the main sight in Krumlov is the castle. Originally built in the XIIth century, only the eastern part (here to the left) remains from this period. It was almost completely rebuilt into a chateau in 1588-1601.

PK17.jpg

Two other views of the castle and the town.

PK04.png

PK07.png

Some views of the suburbs and area surrounding the Old and New Town.

PK06.png

Also visible here is the pilgrimage church of st. Benedict, built in 1701-1702 (bottom). On top the Observation tower, built in 1802. It offers splendid views over Krumlov.

PK01.png

PK08.png

The railway bridge over the river Váh. Personally, I'd like an apartment in one of the tall buildings to the right; they must offer an absolutely splendid view over Krumlov 3.gif.

PK23.png

The little village of Svéraz, located above Krumlov castle. The village is part of the town of Krumlov. 

PK22.png

Finally, some overviews of the entire town. To the right on the first pic the village of Svéraz. Hope you enjoyed this tour as well 2.gif!

PK11.png

PK09.png

Sign in to follow this  

10 Comments

Recommended Comments

Another typical Great update! Love the last shot especially and nice use of the new diagonal bridges... nice touch!

Share this comment

Whoa ! Great work Daan ..This is my first time reviewing your City Journal and I
must say I'm impressed . It's very realistic and the way you used the custom
content was fantastic .

Very Nice City Journal I will be back for the next chapter !

Sincerely,
Duke of York

Share this comment

Very nice pictures! I just love the layout of the city - the castle overviewing the historical centre
And those few modern living blocks look great as well, they make a good contrast to the old part of the city. And all those diagonal streets, just love them... Great work!

Best regards,
Simbourgeois
Mayor of Belleville

Share this comment

Replies:

Jamonbread: Thanks, I really appreciate your input!

Duke of York: Thanks!! Great to see some new people.

Retep Molinari: great to have you around again! Thanks.

Simbourgeois: Thanks very much, I love it as well

Share this comment

.... .................. .............................. ...................... "Cries" This......... this is the most................ BEAUTIFUL peace of work I HAVE EVER SEEN!!!! It is simply amazing!! I like others EVNY your plop folder... I wish I had everything... Its simply beautiful and powerful work. I admire it so much I would pay 10000000000 dollars for it to be mine!!! ... Awsome work man awsome work.  I got no words to describe how i feel about it.

Share this comment