• Announcement

• Dirktator

Got the wrong discs? Or didn't receive them in the mail?   06/20/2018

For those who opted for physical discs -- if you donated between April - June and you received the WRONG discs or NO discs in the mail, please email stexcd@simtropolis.com and include your donation info such as Paypal transaction ID and we will get this rectified!
  • Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

Reconstruction: December 28, 2009

Sign in to follow this  
sumwonyuno

[Edit]:  Thanks to everyone that nominated me for Most Realistic City Journal!   18.gif

Try to find what's special in the picture below:

20091227_01.jpg

Here's a bigger hint:

20091227_02.jpg

Yes, I've successfully retextured a bus!  To be more specific, I've retextured the NYBT NYC MTA New Flyer bus from the STEX.  Credit goes to Gwail for the model.

TheBus is the public bus service for the entire island of O'ahu.  Oahu Transit Services is a private company contracted by the City to run TheBus.  TheBus fleet has over 500 buses servicing almost 100 routes.  There are a variety of manufacturers and bus lengths that make up the fleet.  Here is an picture of the #57 bus out in Waimanalo:

20091227_03a.JPG

This bus a different model than what is in the game, but let's just pretend that TheBus has bought that model.

There is a rainbow paint scheme, and I'm working on that.  I need to figure out how to make another working bus instance.

20091227_03b.JPG

There are articulated buses, and I need to find a correct model first...

Now, forget the last update.  After days of debating with myself, I've decided to scrap the idea of using the old terrain and congestion view.  It wasn't an easy decision to make.  The problem lies with the game grid and how the road network is aligned in real life.

Here is how Capitalis looked:

20091228_01.jpg

Here is an O'ahu map from the STEX (with incorrect elevations):

20091228_02.jpg

As you can see, the northwest part of Capitalis is fairly accurate.  As you go south and east, the region is skewed.  I was having many problems as the result of legacy decisions back in Capitalis.  As an example, I've obliterated city tiles to flush out the eternal commuters.  So, if I was going to destroy the development, it left me free to do whatever I want with terrain.  If I could do whatever I want with terrain, I could put the landforms in better relation to real life.

The downside is that Downtown was east-west before, but now it's going to be northwest-southeast.  It's either that, or the rest of the island at a compensating angle.  Since I'm BATing virtually all development, I could possibly make things to graphically fit with 45 degree roadways.  30 degrees is a whole other nightmare...  As a tentative plan, I'll be working on the rural areas first.  I'll progress toward Downtown-Waikiki.  This gives me more time to work on diagonal development.

I know it all sounds insane, but at the very least, I'd like to get more area of the island to be like real life.  If I'm only able to do the rural areas, that's fine.  If I can get the urbanized areas too, then 5.gif.

I have started to take the region apart.  By the time you read this, it's already out of date.

20091228_03.jpg

Sign in to follow this  

2 Comments

Recommended Comments