Sign in to follow this  
  • Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

Don't breath

Sign in to follow this  
needgames

Widening_Titel_7.jpg

The products the heavy industry produces are used by the manufacturing industry. Their products in turn are being used by the high tech industry. The high tech industry needs offices to do its job. You want to have high tech industry and offices in your city, because they are non-polluting, employ executives, bring in good money and make people happier. So Widening kept on creating shortages of heavy industry, which meant I added more of it in the living areas, creating more pollution, especially when I started using medium density heavy industry. Some of those are shown in the first picture of this update. These emit a massive amount of air pollution.

Widening_53.jpg

I really wanted to keep my businesses in the living areas, since I think it looks nice, keeps traffic flow smooth, reduces travel times and is a very efficient way of using the available space. But Widening’s pollution got so bad, that I got these messages all the time that because of it species of plants and animals were going extinct. I was advised to lay out more parks. Although parks in themselves will not suck up pollution, they do improve the appreciation of the environment, and also, adding them spreads out polluting factories over a larger area, thereby reducing the pollution in any particular place. So Widening has been restructured tremendously, spreading out everything over a larger area, and this worked quite well, since I got the environment appreciation back into the green everywhere, be it dark green in the areas where there was heavy industry. Also, these parks make the city look like a much friendlier place to be, as the next picture shows.

Widening_54.jpg

The next picture shows an overview of almost all of Widening. You can clearly see all the parks. Four large plazas, connected by avenues, make out the borders of what is now Widening downtown. You can clearly see that it is more built up compared to the more rural areas around it. All the services are now located at the center of the downtown area, for maximum efficiency. All offices have been placed around the large plazas and along the avenues. This can clearly be seen. In the top left corner is the executives area. It has fewer parks and more homes. As Widening grew it was found that fewer parks were needed than initially had been laid out for a maximum impact on the environment, so some have been removed again, starting with the executives neighborhood.

Widening_55.jpg

But the need for more heavy industry kept growing, and eventually medium heavy industry was placed, as well as a refinery. These all produce lots of pollution, as you can see in the next overview of Widening with the environment overlay active. Most of the nice green areas have turned bright red. So my conclusion is that in CitiesXL it won’t work having industry in your neighborhoods. Again Widening will have to be thoroughly restructured, moving all heavy and manufacturing industry out of the city.

Widening_56.jpg

A new development in Widening since the last update is that some medium density buildings have been used. Medium density homes house two workers, instead of one. The next picture shows some of them for unqualified workers. At the moment the city has 51,296 inhabitants. The qualified workers continue to take the lead with their 59% share. The share of unqualified workers has again been reduced, to 31% now, which is 8% less than in the previous update. This is because the number of executives has risen to 10%, thanks to town hall policies to have as few heavy and manufacturing factories as possible, and to invest most in offices and high tech industry.

Widening_57.jpg

Another revolution has taken place in town hall. The philosophy of balanced growth has been abandoned. Seeing how much pollution the industry creates and how much money can be made by selling office services, it has been decided to sell five tokens of office services to OmniCorp, for the magnificent sum of 17,200 per turn. This means that Widening now follows a path where the amount of heavy and manufacturing industry will be kept as low as possible, just enough to supply its own needs, while environment friendly businesses like offices and high tech industry will be favored. The next picture shows some medium density offices on the left, which also employ executives, and some medium density shops on the right, which also employ qualified workers.

Widening_58.jpg

New services and the use of parks and medium density shops have greatly improved the overall satisfaction of the citizens. Even though the numbers of environment satisfaction are well in the red, ranging from 15% for unqualified workers to 36% for qualified workers, overall satisfaction is in the green. For all groups it is at about 82%. Executives now value retail for 97%, which is a rise of 25% since the previous update. The next picture shows the new school, which raises the satisfaction of executives with educational services by 38% and that of the qualified workers by 17%. The middle school is however the most expensive service the city offers, with a maintenance cost of 10,000 per turn. Satisfaction with leisure services has dropped a bit since the previous update, despite the construction of a swimming pool, which is the most expensive leisure facility with its maintenance cost of 5,000 per turn.

Widening_59.jpg

Since Widening has a lot of money and at some point satisfaction levels were quite low, income taxes rates have been reduced from 15% to its lowest setting of 10%. Despite of this Widening makes 42,252 per turn, and that is after the introduction of the new services. Before that it was at more than 63,000. This huge amount of money each turn has made the vault fill up to 57,323,193. The reason for this is that income taxes are with their revenues of 20,670 per turn not as important as the corporate taxes, which generate 84,967 per turn.

The next picture shows the new swimming pool amidst some medium density unqualified worker’s homes.

Widening_60.jpg

Another big chunk of income for the city comes from the sales of oil, which generates 33,800 per turn. However, with currently seven oil fields in operation, it costs Widening 35,000 to produce all that oil. It seems we’re making a loss, but that is not entirely true, since some of the oil is used for the city’s own consumption. The next picture shows the new oil refinery. It increases oil production by at least 40%. It is impossible to know how many tokens of oil are exactly produced, since information on how much the city consumes is nowhere to be found. However, Widening was selling a surplus of ten tokens when the refinery added another four tokens to the production. A cost of this is a huge amount of pollution.

Widening_61.jpg

It has also been decided that Widening will not treat its own waste. Given the fine financial situation the amount of pollution can be reduced by buying waste treatment from OmniCorp. At the moment the city spends 18,200 to sell two tokens of waste to OmniCorp, but already two more tokens are being produced, so soon new deals have to be made. It would have been nice to also buy all heavy industry tokens the city needs, but it is my guess that you can’t do that with a small town like this. You just don’t generate enough money for it.

The next picture shows Widening downtown seen from above.

Widening_62.jpg

Widening has again several shortages, but without any ill effects.  The lack of two tokens of waste treatment, one token of water and two tokens of food do not reduce the happiness of the citizens. The lack of one token of heavy industry has no effect on the manufacturing industry.

The next picture shows a marketplace and some medium density offices.

Widening_63.jpg

Due to the tax cuts the citizens now value the taxes by the full 100%. Job offers are also valued by 100%, which means, I guess, everyone can find a job close to home. Traffic flow is well appreciated with a satisfaction level of 92%. However, the avenues around the downtown area and towards the intercity connection now show up in yellow in the traffic overlay. Town hall will probably decide that when it is going to restructure the city it will use large avenues instead of small ones.

The next picture shows some new medium density low budget hotels alongside an avenue. Town hall succeeds usually to max out the number of business hotels, shops, offices and high tech industry.

Widening_64.jpg

Since the hills have been reached I can now show you a nice skyline of this city as the final picture of this update. The next update will be when Widening reaches 75,000 inhabitants.

Widening_65.jpg

Sign in to follow this  

1 Comment

Recommended Comments

That is a really beautiful city, Mars.

I've been experimenting with that tonight, keeping the homes away from the industry, and that seems to work, since they do not quickly complain about long travel times. The environment seems much more important. But you do have to keep them really far away, especially if you're also going to have oil fields scattered around the area, and that seems like such a waste of space.

I also experimented with offices in polluted areas, and even though the information panel says that pollution negatively influences profits, placing a medium sized office next to medium sized heavy industry results in a green profit result. I'll have to check whether it does actually give the maximum profit. Forgot to do that right away. High tech definitely needs to be in unpolluted areas.

Thanks for your advice, and its nice that you like my city.

Share this comment