• Announcement

• Dirktator

Got the wrong discs? Or didn't receive them in the mail?   06/20/2018

For those who opted for physical discs -- if you donated between April - June and you received the WRONG discs or NO discs in the mail, please email stexcd@simtropolis.com and include your donation info such as Paypal transaction ID and we will get this rectified!
Sign in to follow this  
  • Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

Ep.2 - Attack on Dostin Forestry

kim026

Welcome back, traveller!

Haven't you heard?

New jobs will be available in the West, with the wealthy Osalis wanting to found their own manor. Lots of business is already underway with Noman stone mine just opened North West of Cronio:

Noman_Mine.gif

And even more opportunities with the advancement in uncharted territory, West, at Dostin forestry:

ezgif_3_9dd688a494.gif

Oh, you also might have heard those... unpleasent... monster stories...

What? You haven't?

Well...

I'll tell you what they say:

Wild animals they say...

He who led the woodcutting monitored the shadowed treeline where the sunshine was filtered out to a
darkened everlasting cave. Branches were like arms and leaves were like scales of a dragon's skin. The
men giggled and grinned with an insecure sense of sarcasm and scorn at each other's fear, the only
honest emotion permeating around. In the meantime the forest chirped and screamed uninterrupted in an
orchestra of liveliness. The skeleton of a growing stone wall only hinted at a future sense of
security. 

Suddenly, a beastly roar. Far away - yet close enough to freeze everybody in place. Birds also reacted
to the call of the wild. A flock took the sky chaotically, scared away. Friendly faces looked at each
other in confusion and the fear only grew stronger. The men in uniform armed with rifles formed up
hastily and reported to the commanding officer. He instructed a team to investigate the area past the
perimeter. 

So they left... And work started again.

The foreman felt unease. He consulted with the Captain of the military company stationed there. 

"Mister Mai. What's troubling you?"

"Captain. I might just be tired and stressed..."

"You scared some big lizard is goin' come out of the jungle and munch on y'mans?"

The foreman could summon a smirk. But it faded.

"The thought has crossed my mind. I would have to be honest..."

The Captain sighed with a benevolent smile on his bearded face and patted his round belly over the
loose uniform.

"Now. Don't you tell you believe all the stories..."

"No, sir. I know they like to... 'embellish'?"

The Captain laughed out loud holding his belly. 

"Embellish?"

When he finished laughing - and he took his time - he dried the tears and together with the foreman
walked in one of the two wooden huts - his 'office'. He grabbed a butt of bread and bit it, showing his
back to the foreman, who looked at it anxiously.

"Two weeks ago B platoon was on patrol on the southern perimeter after reports of 'disturbance' to
work. Y'friend was on shift. Romaro. Great guy. But a tad retarded, if I can be honest..."

The Captain turned to face Mr Mai with raised eyebrows, awating his response. Mr Mai sighed
preoccupied.

"I know. He's not the brightest. But he gets the job done"

"Exactly my point."

The Captain sat down behind his tiny desk. He barely fit. His tone took a sharp turn into the dark and
gloomy.

"They'd heard weird animal noise and chirps and saw movement in the trees that was a tad too close to
the work. So I sent my men in to investigate...

"Forty soldiers walked into the forest. Fully armed with rifles an'revolvers...

"Eleven terrified and wounded men came out, screamin'... You could tell the shock in their eyes. As
if... they had seen hell, and it only just missed them. They probably couldn't believe they were still
alive afterall...

"When we asked them what they'd seen... They couldn't tell."

The Captain shrugged the darkness off his shoulder and bit the bread once more. Mr Mai was intrigued.

"How's that possible, Captain? Weren't they questioned properly?"

The Captain took a slight bit of offence and raised his tone with aggression.

"You think I can't handle my men?"

Mr Mai immediately withdrew and the Captain disengaged. He felt compelled to explain, though.

"I don't know... My guess is that... What got'em... must've scared the shit out'o'em!"

"Yeah..."

The Captain observed Mr Mai's perplexed face for a while as he chewed the bread. Then he leaned
forwards and produced a bunch of papers out of the desk drawer. 

"Here. Have a read through these"

He handed them to Mr Mai.

"What are they?"

The Captain smirked.

"Bunch o'papers you might find..."

Mr Mai reluctantly grabbed the papers as the Captain gleefully finished his sentence.

"...Interesting"

The foreman retreated to his hut next door to read through the documents. They were military reports.
He got comfortable enough and started reading in the privacy of his small office.
He shuffled the papers around, and as he got engrossed in the stuff and started reading aloud without
realising...

17/7/67

District 4-4. Onesa Valley. approx 2km south-west of Cronio city walls. 

Bla bla bla...

Sighting of at least 12 strong pack of bipedal man-size creature, with long tails

He shuffled to another paper

22/8/67

Sighting...

...man-size creature, with long tails...

And another paper.

8/9/67

Sighting...

...11 strong pack of bipedal... with long tails...

He started blank in the air and papers slipped off his hand. He grunted as he recovered them from the
dampy wooden floor and cross-checked them. He found something of utmost interest:

...pack of bipedal man-sized creature with long tails, now nicknamed "the Forest Raider"...
...also known as: "Kinoraptor". This species is to be considered extremely dangerous and of a hostile
nature. Maximum caution is to be observed in the areas where this animal is known to have been spotted
or suspected of inhabiting.

Mr Mai relaxed on the chair and dipped into the darkness of his thoughts.

The sun slipped behind the tree tops and it became darker very quickly. Mr Mai looked at the working
area with apprehension and sighed anxiously. Then he breathed in and tensed.

"Alright! That's enough for today, peeps!"

He called the supervisors who in turn mustered the woodsmen for the walk back to camp, where they will
be behind the safety of stone walls and armed guards.

But: gunfire!

The rifles thundering echoed back to the woodscutting opening and more birds flocked away. Once again
the men froze in place looking in the direction of the sounds.
The gunfire persisted until it was upon the woodscutting area. It was then that the roar became a clear
and present danger. Horrified grown men started to scream their heart out in high pitched voice and
turned their back to scuttle initially in random directions, until mostly everybody was running in the
same direction: towards civilization. The foreman challenged the stream of fellow terrified workers to
get eyes on the danger and saw a massive shadow chasing the soldiers in the forest. It strode on two
muscular legs, its upper body sprang forward and counterbalanced by a long tail. Its entire body served
as support for prodigious jaws packed with teeth. 
The last of the sunrays that filtered through the forest contrasted with the fuzzy skin of the mammoth
beast. A bloodied face soldier pushed the foreman out of the way, but he regained his posture still
admiring in awe the approaching monster.

He couldn't believe his eyes. 

ATTACK ON DOSTIN FORESTRY - THE LINOLO HERALD 17/3/68

WILD ANIMALS HALT THE WORK AND DOZENS OF WORKERS FLEE IN TERROR. UNCLEAR THE NUMBER OF WOUNDED SOLDIERS.

THE ARMY DOESN'T RELEASE A STATEMENT TO THE PUBLIC. IN THE DUKE'S WORDS: "WE ARE FACING AN INSURGENCY FROM MOTHER NATURE, BUT WE SHALL ENDURE, AS IT IS OUR RIGHT TO SURVIVE ON THIS LAND JUST LIKE ANY OF THESE WILD ANIMALS. FEAR NOT MY FELLOW CITIZENS. THESE ARE NOT MONSTERS, BUT CREATURES OF NATURE LIKE US, AND WE WILL FIND THE WAY TO CO-EXIST IN PEACE"

YET WORKERS ARE AFRAID OF THE WORKPLACE. AND PLANS HAVE BEEN PUT FORWARD TO INTENSIFY DEFENCES AND UPGRADE THE CITY WALLS. 

SHOULD WE WORRY?

0 Comments

Recommended Comments

There are no comments to display.