Alexandria

• Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

Charlestown, Halifax, and Seneca

sabstion

This post is a tour of the suburbs of Charlestown, Halifax, and Seneca. First off, Charlestown.

Charlestown is a former farming community located to the east of Alexandria, on the opposite side of I-85. After I-85 and State Route 33 were built, Charlestown grew into a typical sprawling suburb.

Charlestown-Mar.%203%201001478142347_zps

Southern Charlestown and the Parker Street exit on SR-33.

Charlestown-Sep.%201%201011478142885_zps

Historic houses, built in the early 19th century.

Charlestown-Feb.%2028%20971477543040_zps

After the rail extension to Charlestown (which I'll discuss in the next entry), several new developments have been built around the station.

Next is Halifax. Halifax has historically been (and still is) Alexandria's industrial center. Halifax is west of Alexandria and sits south of I-85 and the Halifax river.

Halifax-Feb.%204%20861478063710_zpsoy4y6

Central Halifax and the City Hall.

Halifax-Jul.%204%20901478146304_zpsaz3y7

The Eastern Halifax industrial zone. The parks towards the top of the picture were placed along the old rail viaduct's right of way.

Halifax-Jul.%204%20901478146272_zpsx2eae

After the construction of the M Green Line, apartment buildings have sprung up around the Halifax stations due to the cheap cost of land.

Finally, we have Seneca. Seneca is north of Alexandria, and it's known for its horrible traffic, due to its lack of freeways or even major arterials. Despite this, it's a fairly affluent city, and has some of the best schools in the state.

Seneca-Jun.%2016%201501478227362_zpsmuyg

An overhead view of the city.

Seneca-Aug.%209%201511478227766_zpsrdamj

Ramsett Lake and the surrounding area. To the south is downtown Seneca.

Seneca-Aug.%205%201481477789057_zpsqgiap

Downtown Seneca. Beside the lake is the future site of the Seneca Mall. City leaders have been promoting it as a center for job growth, while residents worry it will increase traffic.

4 Comments

Recommended Comments

Great varity of a grid locked town !  Some parks or sport facilities every 3d or 4d block would some breakup. Zoning 6x6 most allow some 2x2 parks or rec facilties, 4x4 often spit in four 2x2 medium residential mostly en up in one large estate; 5x6 grid I most like, some room for small parks, yet some room for small parks or bus stops, 1x1 mostly fine for small settlements playing around, this probably the same with industrial zoning, wich for big industrie mostly require 5x6 keeping some room, well done !

p.s. watch the grid G key, Drive U mission Off, Photobucket do give it more content !

Share this comment

On 1/24/2017 at 2:32 PM, Cacciatoria said:

What mods did you use to get those houses in picture #2?

I unfortunately can't find the pack I used; the closest I could find was this. I'll let you know if I find it in the future.

Share this comment