• Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

Entry 19 - The Aldmeri Standoff (5E127)

Linoa06

Entry019.png

Hello and welcome back to Glenvale. In 5E126 - and the Cathnoquey Army was sent to Tamriel to fight off the Aldmeri Dominion from re-establishing a foothold in Tamriel. The Dominion was a terrorist group, who believed in the supremacy of Elvenkind. They were backed by the Thalmor government of Summerset Island, who declared war on its former holdings of Valenwood and Elswery, today four independent nations. The Pan-Tamriel Military Alliance quickly came to fight the Thalmor as the nations of Valenwood fell. In 5E127, General Tullius, born in Glenvale, led a contingent of the Cathnoquey Army to defend the Elsweyr city of Alabaster. His victory, and the destruction of most of the Thalmor fleet, marked the eventual decline of the Thalmor offensive... By early summer they were almost entirely retreating from Tamriel.

2015_08_10_00048.jpg 

Does it really matter to the people of Glenvale? For most, this is just background noise and international news headlines, with perhaps a bit of pride in the General. In 5E127, though, the real news is the construction of a subway network - the first fully automatic network in Cathnoquey, to boot. At least, until a fateful morning, in early Last Seed..

image5827.png

On 2nd, Last Seed, the entire district of Richmond, as well as critical infrastructure such as the Federal Avenue tunnel and M102 freeway was flooded in a matter of minutes. Most of the water seemed to flow from the nearby Glenvale Basin. 

2015_08_10_00011.jpg

However, strangely enough, there was no rain that day, or anything that could explain a flash flood. Initially it was believed to be a dam failure, as Glenvale Basin was created by this dam, which powers about 15% of the city. However, a flood would occur downstream, not upstream.  Initial rescue workers came on the scene at 12:06. At 12:08 PM, rescue workers watched, horrified, as a ball of water was levitated from the basin - and smashed southwards on the city. Witnesses reported a group of men on the top of one of the nearby high-rises.

2015_08_10_00015.jpg

The second wave was much stronger - and in a flash it raced across the Lakeside district. Traffic desperately tried to evade the waves - and the debris that's sure to follow. Stanton Hospital ended up with 1.2m of water flooding its basement, and was put out of order.

2015_08_10_00013.jpg

Media drones were scrambled within minutes. The damage was extensive - and the waters are not receding just yet, leaving 65% of the city without power, The dam floodgates were immediately released. People ended up trapped in buildings, and more critically, in the cars and streets that were suddenly flooded.

2015_08_10_00019.jpg

More rescue teams rushed to the scene, but because the Federal Avenue tunnel was flooded, they were forced to stop and continue on foot to rescue anyone trapped inside the tunnel or on the nearby motorway. All major hospitals became crowded, the mobile phone network went down, and all federal and business buildings were evacuated. At 1:00 PM, more than 500 rescue workers were on the scene.

2015_08_10_00036.jpg

At 1:02 PM, as witness reports of operatives with magical powers emerged, a state of emergency was declared. While Glenvale hosted a Mages' Guild, magic remained relatively uncommon in this part of the world, and in fact, in most non-Elven territories. The train station and airport were shut down and roadblocks were established on the M1 motorway. 

2015_08_10_00045.jpg

At 1:10 PM, one hour after the initial flash floods in Richmond and a few miles away, water levels began swelling near the City Beach. In the 120s, the river, and in fact most of the province, were undergoing heavy droughts - yet the river, that day, was more than 10 feet above its maximum level. However, the damage seems to have been limited to one street.

2015_08_10_00025.jpg

Confusion and fear took hold of Glenvale. The military was swiftly deployed under federal orders and the city ended up completely locked down. At 1:20 PM, finally, the waters started to recede into the basin.

2015_08_10_00022.jpg

It would take days for the water to fully recede, and many basements and tunnels, including the subway under construction, required pumping. The death toll was a shock to the nation. 152 people are estimated to have perished in the initial floods, including 12 rescue workers. 76 people went missing, and bodies were recovered over the next few days. Because the first wave was the weakest, many people managed to run away or reach high ground, greatly improving their chances of survival. Most of the dead were people trapped in their cars in the Federal Avenue Tunnel. There were 698 wounded  and one man undergoing surgery at the flooded Stanton Hospital had to be evacuated to another hospital.

2015_08_10_00035.jpg

But even within hours of the flood, one thing became gradually clear : Glenvale had witnessed the worst terrorist attack in many years. That evening's TV shows would all only talk about that.

2015_08_10_00024.jpg

Investigators quickly determined that the water swelling witnessed at the Basin was not a dam problem. In Nirn, you have to remember that while magic has gone steadily out, there are still mages and sorcerers - especially Elven ones. While they make up a very small portion of Cathnoquey's population, magitek is somewhat common and Glenvale itself is known as a center of magical learning. One very common use of magic is in blitzball. This underwater sport is played in magically erected spheres of water, held over the stadium, guaranteeing spectacular views. Their first clue is that some of the equipment or spells used in Blitzball might have been used to generate the quick and devastating swelling of the water, using the massive Basin as a source.

2015_08_10_00037.jpg

Professor Baelith Dralor, a Dunmer magister working in the Mages Guild, claims that the spell was a combined Alteration and Mysticism spell, perhaps even Levitation, an art long thought to be lost. This means that whomever casted it must have been a very powerful magister - and very likely an Elven one. But who could be so powerful - and informed - to cast such a devastating spell?

2015_08_10_00044.jpg

One day later, a Chirper tweet linked the attacks to Glenvale to the Reborn Dawn, a far-right Aldmer group known for its pro-Dominion, pro-Elven views. They were believed to be fully capable of doing the sort of damage inflicted in Glenvale. This was later followed by another Chirp, which claimed to put a price on the head of Glenvale's General Tullius with the caption : "no man-held country is safe from the Hand of the Dominion."

Because the Dominion denied all involvement, investigators are cautious. To most media and to the general population, the link is confirmed - the Reborn Dawn is behind the attack on Glenvale. Most importantly... where are the perpetrators?

2015_08_10_00041.jpg

Life in Glenvale came to a standstill. People avoided travelling, and this was not made easier by the lock-down and patrols along the city's highways. But there was no sign of the perpetrators anywhere.

2015_08_10_00031.jpg

Three days later, though, as extensive searches looked for the fugitive mage or mages, a breakthrough occurs at Redwood Academy. The headmaster testified that, shortly before the attacks, two strange Altmer came to his school to ask for specifications, especially concerning the Glenvale Basin. Redwood Academy is a small college, yet many engineers came from its halls, including the initial builders of the Basin. 

2015_08_10_00034.jpg

Investigators traced back one of the Altmer to a farm run by a woman called Faiana Alkinori-Korthaer. This farm complex was known for its vertical farms and its innovative use of magic in harvesting. Files, such as blueprints of the Dam or precise elevation data in the city, as well as spell specifications of the kind that would have caused the disaster, were seized from her offices. Needless to say, she was arrested. However, the other Elf remained at large. It was determined it could well be her husband, a known political agitator called Solildil Korthaer. The search intensified..

2015_08_10_00040.jpg

Later that day, police reports that an Elf had barricated himself inside a house in Evergreen Mills surfaced. Police and military were fast to come on the scene, and confronted the rogue elf. Along with specially trained battlemages, Solildil Korthaer put up a fierce fight. It took half an hour to finally put him down, though he died from his injuries very soon after.

2015_08_10_00047.jpg

The following day, Faiana Alkinori-Korthaer admitted to her crimes, which she said were motivated by Cathnoquey engagement in Tamriel wars. She was an ardent Dominion believer, who resented all non-Elves and, seeing as the Dominion wars in Tamriel went poorly, decided to seek revenge. Her words to the media were : "Wish we'd come up with a more lasting spell." Elven populations in Glenvale began fearing for their safety after the incident, and reports of more violence were recorded that night...

2015_08_10_00049.jpg

Yet, for Glenvale as a whole, the Aldmeri Standoff is over. For the families of the wounded and deceased, and everyone affected by the attack, the struggle is really just beginning. Slowly, life continues and the city returns to normal, but is there really a return to the old normal after such an event?

Thanks for reading! Next time we will try and see more of the transportation system, unless we go on holidays somewhere, I don't know! I welcome your feedback as usual, and hope you enjoyed this (probably slightly different) update.

7 Comments

Recommended Comments

Cool... I don't think I have seen a flood before like that one!

Thank you! It was a bit of an error while I was fiddling with the sewage plants that dot the basin, but this makes for a more interesting and slightly different update. I got to hammer some of the setting's backstory into the update too (an alternate history version of the Elder Scrolls that diverges in 4E201 with Thalmor and Dragonborm shenanigans, essentially). This was very fun!

I wouldn't want to be in Glenvale on that day! Great work. :golly:

Not many would, I am sure. I wondered if this update would not go "too far", but my world does not have to be perfect, and besides, it's the Elder Scrolls universe, not the real world. Don't think I offended many people there, hopefully. I kinda want to make a True Detective style set of updates, soon. :P Thanks!

Wow. Cool stuff. That's a HUGE city you've put together!

Thank you! It is huge, and yet only home to 300.000 inhabitants! I feel it is relatively complete, so after the transportation update I might create another Euro type city. I don't know! Maybe come back to Amesbury!

I feel my feet wet now! 

Your feet, and your hair, and the two first stories of your house. No subway construction workers were harmed in the landslides and terrain collapses that followed. Thank you :P

very very creative and life like

Thank you :)

Share this comment

Cool... I don't think I have seen a flood before like that one!

Thank you! It was a bit of an error while I was fiddling with the sewage plants that dot the basin, but this makes for a more interesting and slightly different update. I got to hammer some of the setting's backstory into the update too (an alternate history version of the Elder Scrolls that diverges in 4E201 with Thalmor and Dragonborm shenanigans, essentially). This was very fun!

I wouldn't want to be in Glenvale on that day! Great work. :golly:

Not many would, I am sure. I wondered if this update would not go "too far", but my world does not have to be perfect, and besides, it's the Elder Scrolls universe, not the real world. Don't think I offended many people there, hopefully. I kinda want to make a True Detective style set of updates, soon. :P Thanks!

Wow. Cool stuff. That's a HUGE city you've put together!

Thank you! It is huge, and yet only home to 300.000 inhabitants! I feel it is relatively complete, so after the transportation update I might create another Euro type city. I don't know! Maybe come back to Amesbury!

I feel my feet wet now! 

Your feet, and your hair, and the two first stories of your house. No subway construction workers were harmed in the landslides and terrain collapses that followed. Thank you :P

very very creative and life like

Thank you :)

you welcome

Share this comment