• Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

Liteyny II - A World Beneath the City

Kim Sunwoo

350wqEh.jpg

"My son sleeps in a bomb shelter
and knows the sound of the air raid sirens
as well as the words "to talk" and "to eat".
There's no good news; not yet.

But we will wait. We will fight"

- Vera Ketlinskaya, radio broadcast on October 19th

0DeTcU5.jpg

CMmcpv0.jpg

8/9/1941 - A wave of German Junkers has dropped several thousand of bombs in Tsentralny, more intensively in the area of Smolny and its surroundings. In this picture we see an inmense hole on the ground caused by the explosion of a 1.000 pounds bomb. Almost 70 metres below the surface appears Chernyshevskaya station. Construction of the metro began in January, but it had to be halted at the outbreak of the war.

L5nRxZ1.jpg

28/10/1941 - Bolshoy Dom ("The Big House") is the headquarters of the NKVD (People's Commissariat for Internal Affairs) and the recently created NKGB (People's Commissariat for State Security). Since the beginning of the war almost everyone is suspicious of cooperating with the enemy. Even though the building has suffered damage from shelling, another execution has taken place in the courtyard.

oMrXhrk.jpg

This famous poster by the NKGB reads "Pay attention, these days the walls are listening. Close from chatter and gossip to treason. Do not talk!"

1TCw9jf.jpg

18/9/1941 - As soon as the Leningraders hear the air raid sirens they all run to the nearest underground shelter. While the German aviation dominates the skies, thousands of people live their lives beneath the streets of the city. In this picture we see the entrance to one of these shelters, just behind Kuybyshev Hospital near Liteyny Prospekt.

A7mujw7.jpg

Women and children entering a bomb shelter.

1DxcYOe.jpg

10/7/1941 - The Holy Transfiguration Cathedral is located in Preobrazhenskaya Square, not far from Chernyshevskaya station. An air-raid shelter for 500 people has been constructed in the basement, where first aid can be given to the wounded.

Disclaimer: This CJ includes original photos taken during the siege. To my knowledge none of them is protected by copyright, but if I were wrong I'm happy to delete any picture that infringes the law.

----------------------------------[AUTHOR'S COMMENT]----------------------------------

To preserve historical accuracy I must admit that Chernyshevskaya metro station had not been built yet by the time of the siege. However I wanted to show you that there were actually some tunels and rails already built under the city, that during the war were used as shelters. I had that image of the sunken station in my wish list and I wanted to give it some credible background.

Again, I hope you enjoyed and I'm eager to read your comments and opinions :-D
See you next week!

11 Comments

Recommended Comments

Looks great! I like that huge hole that the Junker created lol :lol:

I think it only took me around 30 minutes to install the software, it's all good now :P 

Edited by Tonraq  

Share this comment

Once again that is some very impressive image editing! Especially for the underground metro shot. I did assume that it wasn't explicitly based on a factual event since I'd imagine that a bomb blast like that would probably caved in the station and tunnel making them inoperable due to the debris. But there's certainly nothing wrong with the idea of wanted to just show the presence of such tunnels and stations, which you accomplished in a very creative way.

Share this comment

This is a real quality city journal!I didnt expect that station underground!

Edited by amazona  

Share this comment