• Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

Storm Warning

Sign in to follow this  
Jetty Jockey

header.jpg

Hello all. As I write this, Cape May County is again in the crosshairs of a hurricane.

hurricaneflag.jpg

Tropical Storm Sandy is predicted to strengthen to hurricane force before striking Cape May County's beaches. Unlike past storms, which sideswiped the region on thier way north, this one is hitting the region dead on. The slow moving storm, which is has been described as a hurricane wrapped in a nor'easter, will pound the county for three days with high winds, heavy rains and catastrophic flooding. 15 to 25 foot waves on top of the storm surge will batter the barrier islands for several days.

sandy.gif

Mandantory evacuations have all ready been ordered for the most of the county and are proceeding . Experts are predicting this to be the most damaging storm to strike Cape May since the legendary 1962 nor'easter.

Surge.jpg

Due to the extended duration of the event, flooding is expected to be the same as that of a category 2 hurricane. Basically, all the light blue and dark blue shaded areas will be submerged under several feet of water.

We're still hoping the storm tracks further north, as the right front quadrant of the storm is the strongest part. Should this happen, winds will shift to the west sooner, blowing the water away from the cape

YouTube home video shot after the '62 storm, showing Cape May and Wildwood:

Atlantic City Electric has already notified us that power is likely to be out for over a week. Hopefully, I'll have an update ready to post by then. I may have to re-terraform the region, depending on how much the coastline changes.

Sign in to follow this  

7 Comments

Recommended Comments

this is bad, i have heard about it in the news, that even NYC has to evacuate some people, here in the Netherlands was also a very big storm in 1953, like 1835 people in NL died, this storm, i hope it will not worse then what happened here.

Share this comment

Holy hurricanes, Batman! I hope that it's not going to be as terrifying and destructive as it looks at the moment. Batten down the hatches and stay safe and all!

Share this comment

You know what this storm resembles? The 1991 Perfect Storm. Near Halloween time, possibility of mixing with winter storms, and large casualties... Now, there are indeed major differences between Hurricane Sandy and Hurricane Grace, (and I wasn't alive in 1991 to see the disaster) but they still seem similar.

Share this comment

I heard about the storm in the past few days, and I hope the flooding and the damages that follows will be minimal. I hope that nobody gets hurt. Your area is really in danger...
I'll watch the web for updates. Keep it up and stay safe! That is WAY more important than an update... ;)

Share this comment